Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI vs HG612 vs HG633 Modem Chipset/Stability/Speed  (Read 9495 times)

PeterPan2003

ECI vs HG612 vs HG633 Modem Chipset/Stability/Speed
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »

We have TalkTalk 80Mbs/20Mbs with the HG633 (TalksTalks new modem/router) which seems stable as a modem (Broadcom chipset) but is not very good as a wireless router, I have some questions, if you could plese answer them It would be very helpful  :D

Prevoisuly when we were with BT and with the BT Home Hub 5 Type A (Lantiq chipset, same and my ECI cabinet) I had a MAXIMUM download speed of 74Mbs actual download of 68Mbs, now with the HG633 It is showing I haev a maximum download speed of 84Mbs actual download of 68Mbs does that mean if I left the modem/router on for atleast 2-3 weeks I should be getting an actual donwload speed of 76Mbs seeing as my Max is 84Mbs? Or is this an error with the HG633?

And finally, if I do decide to get an openreach modem and ditch the TalkTalk modem/router should I get the ECI /r modem or HG612 modem? When I used to have the ECI /r modem I was getting 2-3Mbs more download and lower pings than the HG612 (Probably because of the matching chipset) but the HG612 is broadcom and has G.INP so should I lose 2-3Mbs for Stability and already having G.INP (When ECI cabinets do get G.INP) and that brings up another question for the HG612, is the latest official frimware form BT for the HG612 the same and the latest UNLOCKED firmware with the GUI apart from the it has the GUI, are there any performace improvments or the same?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ECI vs HG612 vs HG633 Modem Chipset/Stability/Speed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

maximum download speed of 84Mbs actual download of 68Mbs

That indicates the possibility that the line has had interleaving and error correction applied.   The max speed always tend to go a bit skewy when interleaving is applied.  I suspect it may be something to do with the overheads for error correction and how the modem calculates the figure.

should I get the ECI /r modem or HG612 modem?

I'd definitely recommend the HG612 as there's an incompatibility issue with G.INP & the ECI modems.   Added bonus is that you will be able to get proper stats from the Huawei.   Alternatively you could look at one of the all in one units routers such as a billion

is the latest official frimware form BT for the HG612 the same and the latest UNLOCKED firmware
As long as you have the HowlingWolf version SP08
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PeterPan2003

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »

I looked at Billion and they dont seem to have a great wireless side. I think if i did go for a modem and router I would get the ECI /r I dont seem ECI users getting G.INP anytime soon, and a router that is atleast 6 months old so it has all the firmware fixes something like the Asus AC68U

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »

I dont seem ECI users getting G.INP anytime soon,

I'm not so sure about that,  I am attempting to get clarification, but its likely that the situation will be reviewed when all the changes to the Huawei's have been completed.   It certainly wont be next week, but its possible before well before the end of the year.

Its not gospel yet, but I just dont want you thinking that it will be at least next year.   BT seem to think their latest testing went well and once the engineers equipment also works (which is being done as we speak) then it could be sooner than we think.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

PeterPan2003

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »

Hmm ok thanks for that. Would you.... recommend the BiPAC 8800AXL? I have heard the modem is VERY good and people are saying its better than the HG612 and they have higher sync speeds. I also heard the wireless isn't great but I'm not looking for amazing wireless just as long as its stable and I can get a decend speed on my phone and xbox... It also supports G.INP which is a plus it will be good when BT eventually make ECI G.INP enabled  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »

The 8800AXL has the same DSL driver as the 8800NL (which I use). Some will find it a bit better than the HG612, others will find it a bit worse. On balance, there's little to choose between them. If you want an all in one solution, I think the 8800*** should suit you very well.
  Eric

PeterPan2003

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 02:29:05 AM »

Say if I got the HG612 how would I know it's on the latest firmware without unlocking it? Would I just leave it plugged in for a while wait till it disconnects from my router, assume it's the SP08  firmware updated then hold down the reset button?

People say the ECI /r syncs slightly faster than the HG612 but what about the Hg612 with the latest firmware is the ECI /r still faster?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:27:34 PM by PeterPan2003 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »

Say if I got the HG612 how would I know it's on the latest firmware without unlocking it?

You cant - until you have an unlocked version you cant access any of the details.

People say the ECI /r syncs slightly faster than the HG612 but what about the Hg612 with the latest firmware is the ECI /r still faster?

I'm not sure about that, and it certainly doesnt appear to be the experience of the majority of users - certainly those on this forum where the BCM based chipsets appear to have the upper hand.  Im on an ECI cab, yet BCM chipsets give me anything from 3.5Mbps - 7Mbps more.   
The Lantiq chipsets do sometimes appear to come into their own on some of the longer or noisy lines perhaps in a similar way to how the old 2Wire 2700's used to be very good on very long lines, but rubbish on short lines.

Its the same with the BCM chipsets - most see an improvement with the BCM63168 over the BCM6368, but there are a couple who report it generates more CRCs.   

At the end of the day you may just have to see what works best on your own individual line and how noisy it is, but I'd say that the BCMs tend to do better than the Lantiqs in the vast majority of cases.

-----

PeterPan2003

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »

Ok :D, I'll go with Broadcom then. Do you know how long the HG612 would take to update once connected?

I'm ether going to get the Billion 8800AXL or a HG612 and NETGEAR R300v2, I got a feeling the Billion would make a better modem but obviously the Netgear would make a better wireless choice and I could reboot it without rebboting the modem.  :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:27:25 PM by PeterPan2003 »