Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SKY BROADBAND UPGRADE TO FTTC  (Read 1475 times)

benji09

• Reg Member
SKY BROADBAND UPGRADE TO FTTC
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »

I have upgraded to the Sky 38 Mbps FTTC product. My down load sync rate 40Mbps with a noise margin of currently 17 db. So I would of thought, if the line was not locked down to the 38 Mbps my download speed would be quite a bit higher.
  Unfortunately I am forced to use the Sky Hub, which has no where near the facilities of my Netgear router that it replaced. Also the Sky Hub compromises the WiFi encryption password by banning certain characters in it.
  This evening Sky sent me an email stating that if I wish to cancel my contract with them early, they would charge me cancellation charges. I am just wondering if they know something I don't.................

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SKY BROADBAND UPGRADE TO FTTC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »

:no:

Hopefully though with that spare SNRm you should get a nice chunk of speed increase.   Hope that all goes well for you :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

benji09

• Reg Member
Re: SKY BROADBAND UPGRADE TO FTTC
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:22 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I only upgraded the line after watching my ADSL getting slower. My son, who is living here, has his own Virgin broadband. When his line goes faulty, he uses my line as a back up. Up to now, I have never had a major fault on my own broadband.
    I had been wondering if the FTTC upgrade to my line would be successful due to crude broadband wiring from the master socket in another room to the room where my router is positioned. The cable I used was a modified, untwisted telephone extension cable with adapters, which travels under the carpet next to the house alarm wiring. This broadband wiring was carried out by me one evening years ago, when my son wanted his router moved to another room. I would not advise anyone else to copy my wiring method as it is highly suspect...................

anything