Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: FTTC woes  (Read 64384 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
FTTC woes
« on: May 28, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »

These threads are becoming quite common on here, aren't they. :no:

We've only had FTTC a few days but we've already had several issues. Connection instability, hugely decreasing SNR on the upstream coupled with a low upstream sync, lots of errors on the connection.

I have reported one of these issues on the TalkTalk Forum and I have got back this response today:

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I've completed a line test which has detected a potential fault and the connection looks unstable.

Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line as this can affect the broadband connection and we would need to look into this first.

Thanks

It looks there is a potential fault therefore. I don't believe we're having any phone issues but I'll check again to be sure.

What I'll do is to put the HG612 back onto the line in order to do some constant stats monitoring (TalkTalk's Super Router makes this very tricky), to see if I can track down this SNR issue. The SNR issue is just like the one we had a year or so ago but it affected the downstream. Openreach eventually got their REIN team on the case and fixed the issue. This time the issue is affecting the upstream, meaning we get a lower sync than I think we should.

Essentially what happens is that the upstream SNR will drop from 6dB to 4dB or less in the space of a few seconds. It will remain at the lower level for sometime before gradually moving back up to 6dB. I am not 100% confident on this so hopefully the stats monitoring will help with that.

I suspect eventually an OR engineer will be sent out but the only thing that worries me is we only went live this time last week so will OR accept a fault yet? In addition, we do have an OR engineer coming to move the master socket but I am guessing this would be a PSTN engineer as opposed to a broadband engineer, if not I suppose both could be done at the same time.

Any advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FTTC woes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »

As mentioned in the other thread, logging of your linestats would be the most useful so that we can see what is going on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »

Attached are my first set of graphs just a bit after a resync.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

Id also be watching for any changes in SNRm.   It may be easier to use DSLstats for that.   Both programs can be used together, but just make sure that you set DSLstats to run in compatibility mode.   The setting is under Configuration > Misc.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »

At a very quick glance, it appears that Alec's circuit is operating quite well up to about tone 1950 but it then rapidly degrades into "nothingness". The Hlog plot shows up the problem quite well.

If they were graphs produced for my circuit, I would be carefully scrutinising all of the wiring that I could reach. (Including the service feed to the NTE5/A.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »

The NTE5 has the MK3 faceplate on it so all the extensions are filtered. I shall try the test socket but in the meantime may I enquire as to what the HLog should look like?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »

Here is an example of a "good" Hlog plot. (Please ignore the "down-up" at the transitions between the sections of the graph.) Essentially you should see a smooth decline in the curve when going from low to high frequencies.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »

So am I to infer that my line should be using all of those tones?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »

Not necessarily, due to line length from the DSLAM.

However, what the connection is capable of using at all should be displayed as smooth downward curves as attenuation increases to the point where it cannot be used for anything.
(See the attached example from my connection).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »

If it was a perfect circuit, with a short length between modem and DSLAM, then yes.

When the Hlog plot for your circuit is considered then clearly something is amiss. Up to approximately tone 1950 the curve is as expected. Then suddenly it just "falls off a cliff".

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »

Despite my line not being error-free and only being stable for just over a day, DLM has decided to remove all interleaving and put me back on fastpath.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 10:16:42 AM »

How do I graph the SNRM over time with the HG612 modem stats programs?

I've attached the dslstats version anyway.

Edit: I didn't realise the SNRM wasn't graphed unless you were graphing the ongoing stats. That's one issue solved anyway :)

Edit 2: I've attached the full monty ongoing stats for your enjoyment :lol:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:36:19 AM by AlecR »

lf2k

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

If I were you (and in the interest of science!), I'd pop over to http://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/Container.htm

It's a bit fiddly to signup/get the stats prog working but once you get it all working it's pretty cool.

If you get your stats program to upload every minute, you'll get your history over time (e.g. SNRM margin) plus you'll be able to compare your line with others (that way you can tell if there's something "wrong")...

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

Thank you for your response.

I had forgotten that I had previously registered for this fantastic website :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

Thank you for your response.

I had forgotten that I had previously registered for this fantastic website :)

Just looked at your stats and checked MDWS. What's the weather like at the moment? Is it raining?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

anything