Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Updates for Intel graphics drivers  (Read 1715 times)

Jgun

Updates for Intel graphics drivers
« on: July 06, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »

Windows update failed to install a HD graphics 3000 driver & I tried to do this manually without result. I looked at I ntels website which said that if there was no problem with my graphics I could ignore it.However W/S update keeps trying to install it How do I stop this? My systen is W/S 8 i

Re: Updates for Intel graphics drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 04:12:41 PM »

In the Windows Update settings uncheck the "Recommended updates box" - that should prevent driver updates being applied.

If that doesn't work (it might not as its a "pending update") then right click the relevant update and select "Ignore update".

As a general rule of thumb its a very very bad idea to permit Windows Update to apply driver updates.

I don't even update graphics drivers for this (high-end) NVidia card unless I experience a problem. Yes, newer drivers may be faster/more efficient but unless its broken I don't "fix" it :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »

I second this ^

I had a really bad time a year or so ago after windows auto updated my graphics driver.   I know have it set to ignore any nvidia/driver updates.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jgun

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »

Thanks for the info. Not wanting to uncheck recommended updates I tried to right click on the update but this only produced options of 'view details' which didn't apply & 'copy details' Any more suggestions?

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »

You should have an option to "Hide" or "Ignore" the update when you right-click. I do - everything from Win2k3 server to Win 8.1 gives me that option.

Edit - the recommended updates are never security-related, they're hotfixes for want of a better phrase & most will get rolled into service packs once MS have decided its safe to do so. If you don't have the specific issue then why be a beta tester mmm?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:54:26 PM by rizla »

anything