Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei HG633: enabling telnet  (Read 8291 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Huawei HG633: enabling telnet
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:02:02 PM »

As part of my recent foray into the world of fibre-optic broadband, TalkTalk have provided me with a Huawei HG633, referred to as the Super Router.

What I would like to do is to get telnet enabled on it - it is not enabled by default and there seems to be no way to enale it in the settings - but I hope there may be a way to do so? :)

Doing a quick forum search, people seemed to be able to get telnet working on the HG635, would those people be able to perhaps help me doing a similar thing on the HG633? That assumes they are in anyway similar; they may not be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't really know where to start with this! :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Huawei HG633: enabling telnet
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »

What I would do, as a first experiment, is to run nmap from a computer connected to each RJ45 socket in turn, without the device being connected to the line (VDSL2). It just might disclose open ports . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »

Well, it looks like TalkTalk have, once again, locked down this router completely :(

Code: [Select]
Discovered open port 443/tcp on 192.168.2.254

Discovered open port 80/tcp on 192.168.2.254

Discovered open port 53/tcp on 192.168.2.254

Discovered open port 5060/tcp on 192.168.2.254

Those are the only open ports after a very indepth scan from Nmap.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:36:11 AM »

My next step would then be to take a close look at the device's construction, to see if it can be opened up to expose the PCB.

If that is achievable, look to see if there is a serial port -- either a set of header pins or a set of solder pads.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »

The serial connection on the HG635 was also locked so it may be the same on the HG633.  The easiest thing would be to save your settings and then try uploading one of the unlocked settings files from the HG635 thread.  If they are very similar that may work.  Do however read in the HG635 thread about telnet being prone to go open on the WAN and needing an iptables edit to fix it.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »

The serial connection on the HG635 was also locked so it may be the same on the HG633.  The easiest thing would be to save your settings and then try uploading one of the unlocked settings files from the HG635 thread.  If they are very similar that may work.  Do however read in the HG635 thread about telnet being prone to go open on the WAN and needing an iptables edit to fix it.

Unfortunately they don't work. I get an error (see attachment).

Is there no hope? :(

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:37 AM »

Possibly not assuming the serial port is locked as on the HG635.  For the HG635, Huawei posted the opensource firmware and that allowed access.  A request to Huawei for the open source might work.  It would also be ideal if someone could decrypt and recrypt the configuration file.  Beyond me, but some people have managed that for other Huawei config files.