Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Stats 5.1 Task Runs For 1 Hour Then fails  (Read 1887 times)

Korben_dallas

HG612 Stats 5.1 Task Runs For 1 Hour Then fails
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »

Hi,

Since the latest upgrade I have noticed that the scheduled task will run around an hour then it fails with a message saying there is already an instance running :-

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
Date:          26/05/2015 14:44:01
Event ID:      322
Task Category: Launch request ignored, instance already running
Level:         Warning
Keywords:     
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      xxxxxxxx
Description:
Task Scheduler did not launch task "\HG612 Stats Program" because instance "{157c0223-9ea7-4b15-aa3b-94875086bc9b}" of the same task is already running.

Nothing has change don the pc other than HG612 Stats being updated,  I have attached a copy of the relevant logs, there are no 'isrunning texts' in the folder.

I have changed the pc setting to Medium from Fast to see if that helps.

Cheers

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 Stats 5.1 Task Runs For 1 Hour Then fails
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:44:05 AM »

According to MDWS, your last upload was using v 5.0.0.3 of HG612_stats.exe:-

HG612 Modem Stats V 5.0.0.3 23/03/2015   
Last Upload - 20-05-2015 20:14:00

This is the most recently released version:-

HG612 Modem Stats V 5.1.0.0 16/05/2015

* Which version are you currently using?

* Are the missing times in Login_events.TXT and modem_stats.log from when the task didn't run?

* Have you ended up with 'stuck' instances of HG612_Run.exe and/or HG612_stats.exe in Task Manager?

* Could you please post the info from these files as they are the ones generated when the task runs (or when more than
      1 instance of HG612_stats.exe attempts to run):-

ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT
       EXIT_2_INSTANCES.LOG

There is a known issue with some Windows versions that more than 1 instance of some scheduled tasks can attempt to run within a few hundredths of a second of each other.

HG612_stats.exe
should be able to deal with that & exit one (sometimes both) of the instances to avoid it ending up 'stuck'.

If you are using v 5.1.0.0, some AV programs/firewalls need to be told to allow the updated programs to always run.
You could try manually running each of the programs in the Scripts folder to see if you get asked whether to allow them or not.

One or two AV programs actually quarantine some of the updated programs without any warning or without asking.

* Are you still using *** Windows version = [6.2.9200] *** (Windows 8 or maybe 8.1)?

Korben_dallas

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »

Hi BE,

I have responded to your questions see below, however since I raised the issue I amended the task in the scheduler to state that if there is an running task when a new one is started to end/delete the previous one.  This seems to have provided a workaround to the issue but that I have never had to use this setting ever before.

Please let me know if you require further information.

Kind regards

According to MDWS, your last upload was using v 5.0.0.3 of HG612_stats.exe:-

HG612 Modem Stats V 5.0.0.3 23/03/2015   
Last Upload - 20-05-2015 20:14:00

This was the last successful upload prior to the upgrade to the current version.

This is the most recently released version:-

HG612 Modem Stats V 5.1.0.0 16/05/2015

* Which version are you currently using?

V5.1.0.0

* Are the missing times in Login_events.TXT and modem_stats.log from when the task didn't run?

No, both these files show the last time the task was run.

* Have you ended up with 'stuck' instances of HG612_Run.exe and/or HG612_stats.exe in Task Manager?

No, none to be seen

* Could you please post the info from these files as they are the ones generated when the task runs (or when more than
      1 instance of HG612_stats.exe attempts to run):-

ONGOING_ERROR.LOG_file_ERROR.TXT
       EXIT_2_INSTANCES.LOG

Attached

There is a known issue with some Windows versions that more than 1 instance of some scheduled tasks can attempt to run within a few hundredths of a second of each other.

HG612_stats.exe should be able to deal with that & exit one (sometimes both) of the instances to avoid it ending up 'stuck'.

The issue seems only to occur after about an hour of it running

If you are using v 5.1.0.0, some AV programs/firewalls need to be told to allow the updated programs to always run.
You could try manually running each of the programs in the Scripts folder to see if you get asked whether to allow them or not.

One or two AV programs actually quarantine some of the updated programs without any warning or without asking.

Yes, Norton’s is the worst at this and every time there is an update I have to tell it its ok to run the programs once they are again removed from quarantine

* Are you still using *** Windows version = [6.2.9200] *** (Windows 8 or maybe 8.1)?

Running Windows 8.1 64bit

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:42 PM »

We have visitors coming round in a few minutes, so I'll have a close look at the logs after they have gone.

Taking a vary quick look, I did spot some oddness, particularly with the timing of some of the events & this message:-

26/05/2015 22:36:54.13 - ONGOING-ISRUNNING-223602-736.TXT - *** ERROR!!! - ERROR.LOG WAS NOT opened. Status = 0

That refers to this file:-

ONGOING_ERROR.LOG

Did you happen to have ONGOING_ERROR.LOG opened in Notepad at the time, by any chance?

At least MDWS shows that things have run for more than 1 hour this afternoon (see attached)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:55:14 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Korben_dallas

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:40:52 PM »

Hi BE,

I probably did have the log open at that time whilst i was gathering a subset of data to upload.

Since the change to the setting on the scheduler it certainly seems to have provided a workaround as the program is still running.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »

The open log probably explains those errors & the strange timing then.

The gap in MDWS stats between 19:52 & 20:02 has me wondering (see attached).

Your PC does appear to run HG612_stats.exe rather slowly, even when extensive logging isn't switched on.
Mind you, it also ran v 4.0.0.8 slowly, back in January.

I wonder if it occasionally runs that slowly that an instance of HG612_stats.exe is sometimes still running when the next one starts.

If you still have my email address, would you mind zipping the whole Event & Error Logs folder & emailing it to me, with the various logs unedited?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:40:31 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

anything