Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP Review article  (Read 1479 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
ISP Review article
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »

Gentlefolk,

You might be interested in reading this article:-

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/2-years-on-b4rn-connect-1000-lancashire-homes-to-ftth-broadband.html

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: ISP Review article
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »

You know my stance, Walter my old friend. I personally think what B4RN are doing is fantastic and offers rural EU's a real alternative.

My only comments are that the 'Incumbent' are always (obviously) used as the comparison, but sometimes unfairly I feel. If BTOR had taken 2yrs to connect just 1,000 premises there'd be uproar .......... never mind asking the EU's to dig in their own cables/ducts in generally inclement weather. Plus, £30 a month for the privilege of having a connection speed that will never be fully utilised can also be a big ask ?

Compare that to ISP's VDSL offerings over FTTC, and one can generally cut a great deal for an acceptable speed, without spending months excavating their own front streets. Add to the mix that G.FAST is rapidly becoming the next 'big thing' to be introduced, and that OR have 'passed' millions of premises on a national scale ................ and the two really do become incomparable.

I have nothing but respect for B4RN's project and its offerings, but I just want to add balance to the debate.  ;) ;D

anything