Announcements > News Articles

UK's three largest ISPs sell users browsing data...

(1/3) > >>

guest:
"BT, Virgin Media and Carphone Warehouse have agreed to feed data on their subscribers' web activities to Phorm. Data will be fed into the Open Internet Exchange, Phorm's advertising network, where advertisers will pay to target interest groups. Frequent visits to the BBC's Top Gear site might result in being served up more car ads, for example.

In exchange, the ISP trio will get a cut of new revenue. Analysts estimate BT's cut will be £85m in 2010."

Full story hot off the press at :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/25/phorm_isp_advertising/

jazz:
I suppose this sort of spying/advertising is inevitable - and will lead to numerous programs being offered to cut out the advertising on your own PC.  I hate the whole business and avoid all kinds of companies because they snoop so much.  However, as the number of snoopers steadily increases it becomes harder and harder to just get on with things without  having to use the services of one Big Brother or another.

roseway:
"We're actually setting a whole new gold standard in online privacy." said a Phorm spokesman. Forgive me if I throw up quietly. :(

kitz:
>>> PageSense Javascript can be embedded by a variety of partners, such as Internet Service Providers, serving pages to those connecting to the internet through them.
>>> The difference between 121Media/Phorm and PeopleOnPage is that the newer company buys its targets direct from ISPs, rather than persuading people to download spyware.

Nice :no:
Not what you expect if youre already paying to use a service is it?   To me that equates to the BBC to start dishing out ads when you already pay a license fee.  I have no qualms about the likes of ITV etc showing ads as they have to get funds from somewhere.
I suppose this is a knock-on effect of the "cheap" adsl and therefore the ISPs looking to get revenue from else-where :(
But if that is the case then BTInternet can hardly be classed as one of the cheapies can it  :'(

>> It aims to make its money strictly from legit advertisers and publishers, avoiding the sort of operators that gave pop-up advertising such a bad name in the early noughties.

Yeah - for how long?
/end cynic mode

mr_chris:

--- Quote from: roseway on February 25, 2008, 02:21:28 PM ---"We're actually setting a whole new gold standard in online privacy." said a Phorm spokesman. Forgive me if I throw up quietly. :(

--- End quote ---

lol - perhaps they forgot to mention the new phrase for 2008 - "Gold is the new Bronze" ;)

One comment on the reg website - targeted advertising could be a bit risky if kids use a computer that's been previously used to surf for pron... at the moment with cookie-based targeted advertising you can get around that quite easily, but not so with this, it would seem...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version