Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNR seems to be drifting more downwards these days, any ideas why?  (Read 1537 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

The SNR as always been a kind of issue on my line. It used to be around 6.3db downstream at its best. Then we had a power cut across all the town, but my house managed to survive and the modem didn't disconnect. So for a while there I had a very good SNR rating (I forget the exact numbers, I might have posted them somewhere else on here). But since then when the SNR returned to its normal rate, its gradually dropping down to 5.5db today (afternoon). I expect it to rise to around 6db at night.

It seem to be effected by the electricity cables and how much power is being pulled from somewhere. The more is required the worse my SNR is. I'm wondering is this a symptom of crosstalk? With more people going online etc?

I've noticed its always worse over the weekends.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: SNR seems to be drifting more downwards these days, any ideas why?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »

It seem to be effected by the electricity cables and how much power is being pulled from somewhere. The more is required the worse my SNR is. I'm wondering is this a symptom of crosstalk? With more people going online etc?

I've noticed its always worse over the weekends.

If it's worse over the weekends then you can count crosstalk out as being the issue, yet a large powercut shows how crosstalk has effected your broadband line you may have had an increase of SNRM while other lines are still offline.

The symptoms you seem to be having is down to REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) this can be many things inside or even outside your premises but most occur inside your house.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:42:40 PM by NewtronStar »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »

Who is your ISP? Some ISPs will me much more on the ball with REIN than others.

When I was with Plusnet for instance, they got Openreach to find the REIN problem and fix it. I don't think my current ISP (TalkTalk) would do that, unless I got the CEO involved.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »

Hmm, I'm not sure what could be causing REIN, if it is that.

Before my SNR used to be from 6.4 at peak to 6.1 at night. Then during the late evening it would creep back up to 6.4 again.

It used to be between 6.1 and 5.8 (before the 6.4 to 6.1 figure).

Now its peak is 5.8 and seems to go to 5.5 during the day and early evening, and again creeps back up to 5.8.

It is consistant every 24 hours. I'm not added any devices at my end.

The thing thats puzzling is the pattern is still consistant, its just doing it at lower numbers these days.

I think they did something to the cabinet because when i went from 6.1 - 5.8, something happened and my SNR went up to 6.4 - 6.1 . I'm assuming faults can only get worse and not improve.

The thing thats annoying is my attainable speed is slowly dropping too. I'm already DLM'ed, which I don't really know why as my error seconds are low, 3 per hour and FEC errors have slowly come down.

I guess if it gets so low that it reconnects, I might take that opportunity to update the firmware on the OR modem so I'm all ready for G.INP when it finally arrives.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything