Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom to force opening of fibre network  (Read 1738 times)

renluop

• Kitizen

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Ofcom to force opening of fibre network
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »

Yeah ..... all employees got a message from our CEO last week. Haven't had time to read and digest the full impact.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »

Presumably the concept of compelling the opening up propriety spare fibre will be also applied to B4RN?
While BT could handle it I would have thought that the altnets and indeed Virgin would be apoplectic with fury.
I see lots of unused fibre suddenly being re-designated as essential spares and for future expansion or mysteriously brought into use for 'load balancing reasons'.
Meanwhile all those who have done sod all about rolling out fibre will be delighted at this prospect.

I expect what comes out in the wash at the end of the consultation will be totally different to what goes in!

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »

From other press reports the expected use is for other ISP's to provide fibre to businesses, mainly in cities.  Allowing ISP product differentiation by ensuring ISP's have the ability to remotely set there own FTTC cab settings such as the DLM would be a more immediate benefit.  It might avoid the current BT imposition of their idea of a vanilla product.