Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A reminder  (Read 4276 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
A reminder
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »

Just a gentle reminder about this particular site that folk can visit to get a gist of, (in layman's terms), super-fast broadband.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

Even to the fully initiated, if you have a question you'd like to ask then right at the bottom it gives the opportunity to. I've never used it myself, but maybe someone may wish to enquire about vectoring or G.INP roll-out/roll-back .......... or anything else for that matter ??
May be worth a try ??  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A reminder
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:57:27 PM »

Thanks for the reminder BS.
  Eric

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 03:15:27 PM »

Thanks BS - I wonder if they'll reply to queries regarding specific cab upgrades etc?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »

No probs, guys.

Mark, I really have no idea what info they will give ...... I posted more as a quick browse for some of the FAQ this forum receives.
I suppose it's a case of if you don't ask, you'll never know ?  ;D ;D

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »

No probs, guys.

Indeedy  ;D I sent a query on Friday about the cab that serves my work building, no reply yet but it has been the bank holiday so I'll give them the rest of the week  ;)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »

lol @ the angry tone on the FAQ.

Someone has a sense of humour :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:01:57 AM »

No probs, guys.

Indeedy  ;D I sent a query on Friday about the cab that serves my work building, no reply yet but it has been the bank holiday so I'll give them the rest of the week  ;)

Please let us know the outcome, Marky, be interested to know if it's not just a 'lip-service' site ??  ;) ;D

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »

I will do  ;D

To be fair I think it did say within 10 working days, which is a while off yet.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:33:48 PM »

:) :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »

Ok I had a reply saying they couldn't check just from exchange and cab  ??? so I replied with the phone number and I had a reply within about 5 minutes from them. Bad news unfortunately, but it shows you can ask about specific cab plans but you need to provide a full address or phone number.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
You are connected to NEWCASTLE Exchange, Cabinet 10.
I am really sorry, but having investigated our network data, we are not currently able to supply you with a fibre broadband service from our existing network. I appreciate this is disappointing news.
We are continuing to build our network to many more areas all the time and we believe this is the fastest roll- out of this type anywhere in the world.   We are also working in conjunction with the Government (BDUK) who like us have an ambition to reach as many residents in the UK as possible in the coming few years.
We appreciate this is of little comfort if you cannot access the superfast fibre network yourself.
Unfortunately your property is not currently included in the network roll-out because after our initial survey, it was established that this cabinet would not be viable for Openreach to upgrade.
However, this is not necessarily the final position. Plans do change as our network grows and it’s worth keeping an eye on our website (http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/) where we publish the very latest fibre coverage information. For further information regarding Government initiatives within your area please visit http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/rural-broadband/ which covers all areas and not just rural.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »

Appreciate your time in replying, Marky ............ even if it isn't what you wanted to hear.  :(

It is worth pointing out again for others who may be looking in, Openreach are a shareholding profit-making business. It would be remiss of them to install FTTC where there is not a market for it. As has been pointed out though, the government subsidised BDUK programme, may be coming to you sometime in the future ??

Is there not a local campaign you can head-up, Marky. Something to show the decision makers there is a local interest in FTTC take-up ?? Sinatures, or better still ....... filling out the official 'Expression of interest' form ?? Just a thought, mate.  :) 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

Damn, apologies for continually referring to you as 'Marky'. My failing eyesight decided to put a 'Y' in where it wasn't required.  ::) :-[

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »

No worries, I get called Marky all the time  :P

Yep I spoke to digital newcastle and they said it wasn't in their plans, weird thing is there's loads of businesses here, our building of offices and one next to us, an apartment building and a row of shops and they're building a student accommodation building over the road too. Strange decision!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

The way I understand it, FTTC was brought to market for residential premises, first and foremost. Hence the reason "Loads of businesses' not really playing a part.
Plus, the bean-counters will never work on ifs, buts and maybe's .... the student accommodation would have to actually been built and occupied, before it's taken into consideration.  :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »

True, I think the student accommodation is getting a leased line, there's work on roadworks.org to lay fibre to a duct along the road, but apparent'y it's not for FTTC, so I can only assume it's for them.