Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Moved from Virgin to Sky...why!  (Read 5271 times)

lemzip

Re: Moved from Virgin to Sky...why!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »

Hi

Well i noticed something quite odd with my line and DLM.

Here is the latest stats

Connection Speed   39998 kbps   9999 kbps
Line Attenuation           16.6 dB   0.0 dB
Noise Margin      25.8 dB   22.22 dB

Now this is after a resync at 2.30am this morning.

The previous stats were:

Connection Speed   39994 kbps   9999 kbps
Line Attenuation           16.6 dB   0.0 dB
Noise Margin      19.0 dB   22.22 dB

These stats were also from a resync at around 3am 2-3 days previous and held these figures through the entire time +- a few .0dB.

Im assuming this increase in noise margin is not REIN/crosstalk etc as im now sure i will hold onto these stats until a time that it syncs again. I would like to state that these syncs are on the WAN...IE i think its DLM doing it as nothing else causes it.

Could this be an oddity with the Sky Hub etc? I cannot explain it but it looks like the longer im now leaving the line, the better the noise gets. Im not expecting it to improve above this as this was the highest spare noise margin i had when i was testing sockets in the house a few weeks back.

The pattern in seeing is if it syncs at 39998 kbps i have 25-26dB but if it syncs at 39994 kbps i have 18-19dB noise.

G.INP is still not active on my line with the Sky Hub, looking at the stats it looks like a strong line!

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:41:19 AM by lemzip »

lf2k

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »

First off, I'm not an expert so take the following with a pinch of salt...  ;)

If your SNRM is 25 or 19, it's still a lot higher than the 6dB some of us are on - which means it's a good line (my understanding is the higher the better for SNRM).

Kitz has said on a couple of occassions that lines aren't getting G.INP'd now, so you wouldn't expect to see it anyway (especially with a good line).  Are you on Fastpath or Interleaved? Suspect Fastpath.  If you were on interleaved, G.INP could help move you back to Fastpath - if you're on Fastpath already, G.INP will be of no benefit.

The SNRM fluctuates over time - but if it appears to increase over the course of the day, doesn't this indicate there was more x-talk or whatever earlier on?  (possibly because a bunch of people were also resyncing at the same time)

It'd be interesting to see bits per tone etc - this appears to be set when your line syncs, but they do appear to fluctuate during the day.  If your line syncs at the same time as everyone else on the cab, there'll be increased noise on the line.  Presumably this dictates the bandplan.

The SNRM fluctuation and the bandplan/bits per tone seem to be linked.

I guess if you were to resync 8am you'd probably get different results.  I don't know what stats you get on the Sky Hub, but I guess they're not as comprehensive as the BT modems. :-\

Like I say, I'm not an expert - I'm just piecing together things I understand from looking at my own line stats...

Tazz

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »

That is a good line now I would upgrade to the 80/20 service ;)

lemzip

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »

Yep its deffo a good line. The stats have been holding steady since the last post.

Still no sign of G.INP on a Sky Hub 102 on a huawei the fault like Kitz suggested even though cleared has stopped me from getting it so far.

I am wondering even with the ECI fixes etc that these fault lines etc will get G.INP or will be forgotten about.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything