Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DSLstats v5.5 released  (Read 18769 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats v5.5 released
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »

Eric, are there plans to have an installer for Windows machines?

It's one of the things I'd like to do, but I haven't found the time. It's on the todo list but keeps getting superseded by more immediate needs.
  Eric

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »

Hello roseway

It seems dslstats ignores the "per sample" switch on the FEC tab, it always calculates errors per minute. On the CRC tab it works as it sould.

Thank you.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »

Thank you morphium, you're quite right. It will be corrected in the next (pre)release.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »

Eric I do now have to wonder if DSLStats could be causing a problem with my VMG8924 - see my update in this thread, right now this is an open question and I am willing to be shot down in flames but could DSLStats not be logging out correctly always? This is using the Windows version on W7.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »

Stuart, I'm certainly not going to shoot you down in flames, but I don't know how to test the theory. The way the code is constructed, sampling should always end with a logout. I suppose that the logout itself could fail, but this would have to happen a number of times, because the modem will accept a number of simultaneous admin logins.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »

Stuart, I'm certainly not going to shoot you down in flames, but I don't know how to test the theory. The way the code is constructed, sampling should always end with a logout. I suppose that the logout itself could fail, but this would have to happen a number of times, because the modem will accept a number of simultaneous admin logins.

Yes I am not sure either  ;) I guess what I was wondering was how much checking is done in DSLStats around the logout specifically to make sure as far as possible that it works and exits cleanly. If there is any way a logout could fail and not be detected then eventually the max number of logins could be reached, although how or why that might impact on access to the gui I have no idea. Also I dont know how many simultaneous logins are allowed or why access via SSH using putty cleared the issue other than a clean logout by SSH.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »

DSLstats doesn't actually log out as such, it breaks the telnet connection directly. I can put in some extra checking to ensure that it disconnects cleanly, and maybe tries again a few times if necessary. I'll be uploading another pre-release version shortly, so I'll add these extra checks before I do so.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »

Eric on my VMG8924 if I telnet into it manually I always issue a logout command which then replies with

Code: [Select]
Bye bye. Have a nice day!!!
Connection closed by foreign host.

also just now when I tried to telnet in I guess DSLStats was sampling because I got

Code: [Select]
telnet 192.168.0.1
Trying 192.168.0.1...
Connected to 192.168.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
A telnet session already exist, cannot creat new telnet sessionConnection closed by foreign host.

which implies only 1 telnet session is allowed at a time.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »

That does rather imply that the VMG8924 is limited to a single telnet session, and it would seem that an SSH session can be used to clear it. That may be the root of the problem - I'm speculating here, but it could be the case that the telnet session occasionally fails to disconnect cleanly, which wouldn't be a problem with modems which accept more than one telnet login, but leads to a lockup if the modem only accepts a single login.

I've made some changes to add extra checking for disconnects. The program now tries up to 5 times, with a 50 ms pause between tries, and if it fails to disconnect after this, a note is added to the event log.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »

Thanks Eric, that at least will tell if the router is failing to disconnect normally. It was just by chance last night I discovered this as my wife was on her tablet which meant I could not reboot the router to clear it so I thought I'd play a bit and found the SSH thing.

Stuart

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 10:44:44 AM »

Really thick question - I have an 8800NL running in VDSL mode and I can't get the program to start recording on Win7 64 bit so what am I doing wrong

Even sillier question - why when I select close the program it doesn't as the task manager shows it as still running
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:02:58 AM by Oldjim »
Jim
Plusnet

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »

For the first question, it looks as though you have the wrong CLI command prefix. It should be 'adsl' or 'xdslctl'. Selecting 'Billion 8800NL' from the drop-down list should set it to 'adsl' automatically.

For the second question, I suspect that you have it configured so that pressing the Exit button minimises the program instead of closing it. Have a look at Configuration --> Misc, in the 'Program close / minimise' section.
  Eric

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »

I tried that first and the minimise option isn't checked
Jim
Plusnet

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »

Pressing the Exit button or the Window Close button at the top should result in a popup which asks "Do you want to close the program?" Do you see that popup?
  Eric

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »

yes I do
Jim
Plusnet
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5