Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What physically happens during a migration?  (Read 7708 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: What physically happens during a migration?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »

:)

burakkucat the M41 is the pinnacle of dsl technology, why unfortunately :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »

It is unfortunate that the cabinets were designed with all those low down ventilation slots. They are just at the right height to allow the ingress of dogs' fluid, thus corroding the PCBs and edge connectors!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »

I didnt take photo's of the actual door as I was more interested in the internals, but if memory serves me correct Im sure that those vents arent just open to the elements, and there was an internal protector (filter & internal metal plates) to stop fluids being able to be sprayed onto any of the internal actual dslam components which are on the top half of the cab.   The backup batteries were at the bottom.   

The external vents are also shaped downwards so I should imagine that would stop dog pee entering, but Im sure even if you had a jet spray and pointed it upwards from the vent, you'd have a hard time reaching the M41 equipment.   Not so sure about the lower IDC blocks though, and if you'd end up clogging the filters.  :-\     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »

Here we go again....... crap photo time.  ;) ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »

Gentlefolk,

The ECI Dog-pee joke was mine originally !
There is actually a double skin containing a filter mat and gravity doing what it usually does would only water the batteries.
When this cab was being commissioned it was drawing 50 Amps at 48 volts.

Back to the original question, IIRC TalkTalk often used their own back-haul when they had their own ADSL DSLAM LLU services in an exchange so might it be possible that they continue that practice ?

I realise that Pings are a very imprecise science but just for fun I've run a couple of tests to TalkTalk and Plusnet from the Virgin Media cable service in Oxford that I'm connected to by ethernet cable. (Yes I know that VM are not famed for their stability either !)

--- www.talktalk.co.uk/ ping statistics ---
40 packets transmitted, 40 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 14.491/17.974/54.027/7.134 ms

--- plusnet.co.uk ping statistics ---
40 packets transmitted, 40 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 17.748/23.681/74.340/10.208 ms

Kind regards
Walter

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »

I don't think there is a single ECI FTTC cabinet in Hampshire...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »

@ AlecR,

In Surrey they were part of BT's commercial deployments after the scare over Chinese spies. Ewhurst got its first pretend cabinet in Dec 2011 but all three took until later 2012 before they were commissioned. I have also seen them in Lancaster and Caton Lancashire but where the new Caton EO PCP 3 was provided with a Huawei 288, just to confuse everybody. I believe BS suggested that the ECI ones were more temperamental.

Kind regards,
Walter

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »

The cabinet has to continuously dissipate ~2500 watts? Wow - I'm amazed it could manage that without noisy & powerful forced ventilation.

Steve

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »

See my post here from exactly a year ago which gives a link to the answers on cab power usage
In essence 99% of the cabs are using less than 300 watts and none are using more than 500W
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14014.0

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »

The cabinet has to continuously dissipate ~2500 watts? Wow - I'm amazed it could manage that without noisy & powerful forced ventilation.

What isn't too clear from what Walter has mentioned (and I presume he won't mind pesky-cat clarifying it) is that power consumption was during the initial power-up, test and commissioning phase when everything was "run up" to maximum to ensure there were no manufacturing defects or damage in transportation.

For the actual measured power consumption of the three different types of cabinet (Huawei MA5603T equipped [288 ports max], Huawei MA5616T equipped [128 ports max] or ECI M41 equipped [256 ports max]) 3W*bat will be able to point you to the latest documents submitted, by Openreach, as part of the application for unmetered electricity supply.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »

Thanks BKK,

It is certainly to be expected that the normal running power consumption will be lower and could well vary quite a bit depending upon the cabinet temperature.

Perhaps of a little more concern might be the additional area load after a prolonged power outage and even worse should the batteries be completely depleted. I sincerely hope that proper power-fail shutdown / start-up logic is included and that it has been fully proven during factory acceptance tests including partial a/c voltage restoration and rapid auto-reclose multiple outages.

The thought of hundred's of (trained) black-sheep look-alikes thrashing around pressing reset buttons doesn't bear thinking about.

I did observe one engineer doing a three-monthly RC breaker test last year to test failed trip conditions.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 06:12:19 PM »

Just one further comment . . . It is my understanding that the battery backup supply, for each type of cabinet, has been designed to supply the full load for a total of eight hours.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »

Yes that makes more sense. And I don't know of any battery that could fit in that space in the cabinet that could supply 2500W for 8hrs!

Steve

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »

Just one further comment . . . It is my understanding that the battery backup supply, for each type of cabinet, has been designed to supply the full load for a total of eight hours.

I believe the required minimum stand-by time is 4hrs, unless it's been changed recently ?

PS ..... to back-track over water-ingress at the DSLAM Cab. Quite rightly as with all things BT, intensive tests were carried out under the name ............. are you ready for this ............ 'Project Nemo'.
Just to put people's minds at rest that contrary to some individuals beliefs, BT have half an idea of what they are doing as a business ...... not your best friend, a business.  ;) ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »

@ Walter - thanks for the photo.   I'd cut the door out of frame when I took my photos, but thought I recalled seeing a filter and another gate.

IIRC TalkTalk often used their own back-haul when they had their own ADSL DSLAM LLU services in an exchange so might it be possible that they continue that practice ?

Yes they do only use their Opal (TTB) network for backhaul.  Sometimes an exchange may be FTTC live, but there may be a short delay whilst TT purchase and connect a GEA cablelink to the Openreach OLT.

I don't think there is a single ECI FTTC cabinet in Hampshire...

I'm sure there will be plenty. It may depend on when the cabs were installed. The earliest cabs installed tended to be Huawei's then some time around late 2011 they started ordering their first ECI's.

During the period 2012-2013 ECI's seemed to be the favoured type of cabs to install, but at the end of 2013 they switched back to ordering only Huawei's.

I did a rough and ready check on the types of cabs around the UK and although they were still installing some Huawei's during the 2012-2013 period, they were mostly for 'fill-ins' ie if all the surrounding cabs were Huawei.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3