Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: thinkbroadband ping graph  (Read 4253 times)

rolocollie

thinkbroadband ping graph
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:27 AM »

have just been sent a new router by my ISP which is a Sagecom 2704N now the thinkbroadband ping monitor does not work showing all red with the old router technicolorTG582n everything was ok

Corrected typo in topic title - admin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:40:56 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: thinkbroadband ping graph
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »

I presume you mean the Plusnet Hub Zero.

Unfortunately this router is heavily locked down with custom firmware which has no telnet or SSH access.  It has WAN ping disabled which is why it wont work with the TBB QM and afaik there is no easy way of turning it back on.

There are a couple of guys over on the Plusnet forums working on a hack and working on custom f/w.  The problem is though because there is no CLI access, then iirc it involves opening the router up and a soldering iron :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: thinkbroadband ping grath
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »

Personally i wouldn't use it as a door stop , landfill awaits, less hassel

rolocollie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »

Hi Kitz thanks for your reply do you recomend a router for enabeling me to view my ping using broadband ping monitor and would it be easy to set this up

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »

Perhaps the Billion BiPAC 8800NL would be a good choice?  :-\

Here is the Billion 8800NL discussion thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »

With this BB2 i don't have telnet or SSH but i can disable or enable the ping to wan interface under firewall setting and Intrusion detection.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:18:53 PM »

Hi Kitz thanks for your reply do you recomend a router for enabeling me to view my ping using broadband ping monitor and would it be easy to set this up

Depends on your budget.  There's a list of available routers here, but I'd tend to agree with b*cat on a Billion 8800 NL/AXL. 

The Zyxel VMG8324 is another one to consider, but unfortunately these can be hard to get hold of and theres only a few places that sell them.  Its slightly more expensive than the Billion 8800NL because its a higher specification router, but its quite a bit cheaper than a Billion 8800AXL
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »

With this BB2 i don't have telnet or SSH but i can disable or enable the ping to wan interface under firewall setting and Intrusion detection.

The BB2 is an Arcadyan, whilst under the hood the Plusnet Hub Zero is a Sagem and there is no way of changing the ping to WAN.  Sagemcom are quite happy to lock their routers tight for ISP specific firmware (ie Sky) and there really is atm no known way of enabling ping to WAN without hardcore hacking.   I agree with tommy & I definitely wouldn't use one, its a cheap and nasty low budget router.   Its spec and chipset is similar to the TG582n, but the firmware and GUI are IMHO much worse.   I'd rather use the much older TG582n than a "Hub Zero" :(
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »

The BB2 is an Arcadyan, whilst under the hood the Plusnet Hub Zero is a Sagem

I'll definitely be purchasing the 8800NL soon and from what i seen from the BB2 Arcadyan my line seem to like this chipset much more than the HG612 chipset. 

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »

Sorry for the hijack but is there any way to use this on TalkTalk (uses a dynamic IP)?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »

The BB2 is an Arcadyan, whilst under the hood the Plusnet Hub Zero is a Sagem

I'll definitely be purchasing the 8800NL soon and from what i seen from the BB2 Arcadyan my line seem to like this chipset much more than the HG612 chipset.

Yep the BCM63168 does seem to perform quite a lot better on most lines and its why I like my Zyxel VMG8324 as it gives me an additional 3.5Mbps over the BCM6368 which is in the HG612 & Billion 7800N. 

All lines appear to report an increased sync speed, but there is the added caveat that on a few lines (such as les70) where it can generate more CRC's.    In fact on Aardvarks line (and mine when it was in a line fault condition) it generates less CRCs.   I think Chrys also saw a few more CRCs when using a BCM63168, so its one of those suck it and see situations.  I certainly dont appear to have this problem and its not something Ive seen on any of the others who monitor via MDWS.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »

Sorry for the hijack but is there any way to use this on TalkTalk (uses a dynamic IP)?

Yep - the settings you need for vdsl are here,  the demo is  based on a VMG8324 but it contains all the info you need.   

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm

TT doesnt need a Username because it uses IPoE
-----