Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Faint Voice Transmission on BT land line  (Read 20701 times)

Frogparty

Re: Faint Voice Transmission on BT land line
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »

Where theres a joint/connection there is impedance and if dis similar metals are involved corrosion both these factors, where joint/connection are present, could surely effect higher and lower frequencies in different ways. IE little or no apparent effect on the BB whilst attenuating voice?
Well I do have lots of junctions - there is a joint box on every pole I have seen. This could make detecting a line fault and repair easier, but also adds to the potential HR problems.

But if line or joint corrosion was attenuating just voice then wouldn't this show on the PQT? That measured attenuation as 12.4dB (@ 1.6kHz I pressume), is that boarderline? Seems to me that the telephony is being attenuated at the exchange before/after it gets on my line or equipment. No one has tested that - the volume of a real conversation as it leaves the exchange. Incomming VoIP (call centre) and mobile calls are generally more audible than other land lines.

Having said that things have seemed a little better since some of the joints were recrimped etc. :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »

Just to clarify?

'Skin-effect'. Whereby the phone will transmitting nearer the centre of the wire. So if you can imagine, any kind of physical fault on the wiring (such as corrosion) will obviously occur on the outer circumference first, thus affecting 'BB' services before 'Voice' services.
So, it is highly-unlikely to have a network fault on the wires, that only affects 'Voice'

Makes sense but the way I read this staement it assumes no joints or connections.

Where theres a joint/connection there is impedance and if dis similar metals are involved corrosion both these factors, where joint/connection are present, could surely effect higher and lower frequencies in different ways. IE little or no apparent effect on the BB whilst attenuating voice?

Yup, absolutely a fair point Berrick.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »

Incomming VoIP (call centre) and mobile calls are generally more audible than other land lines.

Now that rings my bells during conversations over the phone to two different ISP Broadband helplines they both said my telephony voice has a low rumble noise they both asked me for my mobile number and called me back they could here me much better.

Could this be down to the Dect phone as the last OR engineer on the 13th of Feb did a thorough job on my line the pairs were 0.1 ohms out.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:25:44 PM by NewtronStar »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 07:57:31 AM »

Just to clarify ....... methinks you probably mean 1.0 ohms difference each leg, NS sir ?? The read-outs on the HHT's don't go into 'divisions' of whole numbers.  :) 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »

Just to clarify ....... methinks you probably mean 1.0 ohms difference each leg, NS sir ?? The read-outs on the HHT's don't go into 'divisions' of whole numbers.  :)

That's probably what i meant to type  :blush: but the engineer said that's quite good the rumbling noise must come from the DECT phone i don't hear it during the QLT it seems the recipient does that could be the microphone (mouth piece) part of the phone  :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]