Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Speed Problems  (Read 2423 times)

roadrunner

• Just arrived
BT Speed Problems
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »

I've been having big problems with BT broadband, Here's what happens:

I used to get about 2M to 3M before they 'upgraded' me to 8M now I regularly get an astounding 160 - 130K.  My modem reliably syncs at 3.3M but about once every three days there's a glitch on the line that causes it to resync at a lower speed so my IP profile gets knocked down to 130K and I have to wait three days for it to reset.  It works for a bit then the same thing happens again.  I have my Netgear DG634 plugged direct into the master socket - as BT India suggested but the same thing happens.  Before they started using IP profiles I used to get about 2M, not great but good enough.  This IP profile nonsense is driving me crazy, any suggestions as to how I / We can apply pressure to BT to get their system sorted?  Why is it so quick to reduce the speed yet so slow to reset?? this makes no sense - In the meantime I suppose I can always spend the three days waiting in a queue to talk to someone in India again.... 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Speed Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »

Hi and welcome.

You're not going to get much joy trying to get BT to stop using IP profiles. There are actually some good technical reasons for using this system, although it can get very irritating in a case like yours.

Your best option would be to try to trace the cause of the occasional low speed reconnection. If it's as rare as once every three days or so it ought to be possible to find the cause. This is something which is very intermittent, so it's most probably impulse noise, and this page may help you to get to the bottom of it. Also think about whether any electrical equipment in your home (or possibly a neighbour) is only being used with this sort of frequency.
  Eric

roadrunner

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »

I can appreciate there are sound reasons for determining the maximum speed of the line - to a certain extent my modem does this when it syncs up to the line but what drives me mad is that a small glitch can cause the IP profile to drop to 130K and it then takes THREE DAYS to come back up again :( my old fixed rate connection used to drop occasionally but the modem just re-connected and everything was fine.  I just want my old connection back, I never asked BT to 'improve' it from 2M to 130K in the first place!  What puzzles me is why the IP profile cannot be more dynamic and adjust at a faster rate than once every three days.  I am an electronics engineer with some 20years experience so I understand the issues relating to impulse noise interference etc, but I can hardly ask my neighbours to stop doing DIY or using power tools, or stop cars driving past in the street or stop my central heating from creating click and pops etc etc or all the million different ways interference can get into the system just so my broadband works like it used to.  Is there any way I can get BT to fix it at 2M again or set the lowest rate to something better than 130K even if it means occasional data loss.  I used to use 56K dial up, for free, now I have to pay >£25 a month for it...  >:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »

With a large change in IP profile like you're getting, the profile should recover more quickly than three days. A few months ago BT introduced adaptive rate logic which is supposed to make large upward changes occur much more quickly than small ones. But the effectiveness of this is somewhat disputed, it must be said.

If you want to go back to a fixed 2 Mbps connection, there are several ISPs which will organise this for you, but not (I think) BT.
  Eric

roadrunner

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »

This new fangled adaptive rate technology of theirs doesn't seem to work much for me, If only I could apply some adaptive rate technology to the ammount I pay them each month...  I stopped using a very well known operating system and switched to linux because I was fed up with a company with an unhealthy monopolly inflicting sub standard technology and engineering on a captive market for huge fees and now it seems the same is happening with broadband.  Time to go and find out about cable i suppose  while my connection still sort of works :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »

Hiyas RR and welcome :)

Im too surprised that such a large increase isnt implemented more quickly than the 3 days .... however from ~ What is "Adaptive Max Logic"?

A large % increase in sync speed should see the IP profile rise within 4-6 hours, whilst a small increase may take up to 5 days before the IP profile reflects the change.  /... snip... /
How long it exactly takes for increases to be applied would also seem to depend on how busy the system is.

>> If you want to go back to a fixed 2 Mbps connection, there are several ISPs which will organise this for you, but not (I think) BT.

Yes as eric says...  there are some ISPs that currently will do this (ie Zen Plusnet, IDNet, Newnet etc) 
BT Im not sure about - Its not something Ive seen them do either.
but to add to this..   Ive heard that BTw may withdrawing this option soon even from those ISPs that do offer it...  and its going to be all max/rate limited max.
I cant recall if there is a date set yet :/

Whether the fixed rate max service is as stable as the old fixed rate lines - Im not sure...  we've only seen a few cases of people being put on those type of lines..  and its usually when they didnt want to be  :-\

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything