Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach struggling with demand?  (Read 1930 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Openreach struggling with demand?
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »

Those on FTTC - how are Openreach doing keeping you guys in ports / tie pairs / DSLAMs?

The area our campaigning focused on ended up with 4 commercial cabinets and 5 BDUK cabinets passing the properties.

All 4 commercial cabinets are unavailable.

Two of them require new ducting, and need new PCP shells. One of them, the one that I'm connected to, needs a stand off shell, line cards, tie pairs. A fourth I'm not sure about. Some of this isn't the fault of Openreach, but is due to bad communication between developers and Openreach. We have cabinets that are both PCPs and SCPs as copper has had to be daisy-chained.

These guys have been closed off to new orders for a while. 82 went live in early December 2013 and has spent longer unavailable than available.

You guys seeing the same kind of things, or no issues?

Certainly Openreach seem to have models for uptake and where they aren't high enough they seem to be struggling a bit.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Openreach struggling with demand?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:36:44 PM »

I'm not sure on the exact port situation but Im not aware of any 'high demand' cabs and in my immediate vicinity we're not doing too badly.

I live on a peninsula so only the earliest phase of cabs were all those that were on or nearby the main road into town in between the exchange and a large neighbouring exchange.  (Basically the route of the old BTw backhaul).  BT then did another phase early last year which went north from the exchange and now BDUK are mopping up most of the remaining cabs with FTTC and a couple of FTTP's planned for June.

There is one commercial cabinet from phase 11a still outstanding. This covering a small estate not far from the main road but an area on its own on the wrong side of the main road from the main estate and other side of the tram tracks.  Just say Im glad that I dont still live on there as they get about 500kbps :(   

Aside from that the EO lines appear to be the only ones still waiting. 4 of those areas have BDUK FTTP planned but no date yet, 2 have nothing.   One of those has about 9 houses, the other a recentish built estate which is basically reclaimed land (ie throw a load of rubble down into the sea/river and lets build houses on it :( )
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker