Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Downstream SNR and max attainable sync drop!  (Read 1572 times)

milgo

Downstream SNR and max attainable sync drop!
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »

At 18:30 yesterday my DS SNR dropped down from a 14 day stable 6.3 to 5.5 as did the attainable max DS speed from 72308 to 69788.  My limited knowledge of broadband led me to believe that a drop in SNR would correspond to an increase in attainable sync speed and visa versa so with that in mind I am a little confused!  The modem stats still report that neither interleave nor G.INP have been applied to my line.  Would anyone care to comment please? Modem stats can be provided on request.  Thanks.

spudgun

• Reg Member
Re: Downstream SNR and max attainable sync drop!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »

Sounds like one of your neighbours has just had fibre installed and you are seeing crosstalk interference from their line.

A decrease in SNR means a decrease in what the modem will calculate as being the maximum attainable speed

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:37:56 PM »

We will need to have a look at you DS SNRM graph before and after the event took place, my crosstalk disturber has a very noticeable effect on the DS SNRM by around 4.0dB I can even see them turning off/on their modem on the graph below, notice how they didnt use the 30 minute power off period before powering it up  :no:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:43:45 PM by NewtronStar »

milgo

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »

As requested

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »

If the SNRM continues at this current value then it does look a slight crosstalk issue you may loose 2530 Kbps on next reboot of the modem but if the SNRM is steady at 5.5dB 24/7 i would not get to worried at the moment, you may see a small increase of errored seconds per day.