Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fibre activation fee by other provider  (Read 14738 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre activation fee by other provider
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »

Another clear sign of market failure but ofcom dont seem keen to regulate at the retail level.

It sure does Chry but was a able to get around this fee under the sales act clause  ;)

that is to stop the metallic pathway back to the telephony serving exchange (the E-side cable) acting as a bridging tap across the VDSL2 circuit!

Think i understand now.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »

For migration of any xDSL service (i.e. G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+ or VDSL2) to VDSL2 there is nothing to be done at the exchange. The "loosing" supplier turns off the service in software and the "gaining" supplier turns on the service in software.

Thats what i thought B*CAT and why i argued with the EE support section there is now need for the OR Engineer to visit the exchange to switch the line from BT to EE have to  :D with the lack of training and knowledge the telephone BB support has these days.

I am not sure what your hinting at with this filter as the exchange that supplies the E-side to my fibre cabinet comes from a different exchange that supplies the voice/telephoney they both end up in my PCP cabinet number 1 (D-side to my premises)

For info ......... any ADSL migration of ISP, there does have to be Exchange work carried out. The amount of work depends on whether it is an MPF order (Both PSTN and ADSL provided by the same CP), or if it's an SMPF order (Two separate providers for PSTN and ADSL).

For VDSL migration ............ no Exchange work is required. However, there may be associated work involved at the Exchange such as removing the old ADSL 'ties' to free up a spare for the ISP.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »

Sure thats what i told the ISP CS BS ,this is not an ADSL circuit moving to FTTC (New FTTC install)  it's just plain old BTw FTTC to new ISP with BTw FTTC, would there still be any ADSL ties left over it would explain my odd tones/bitloading graph in D1 band it's like the big dipper.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »

The picture below depicts a typical SMPF jumpering layout on our MDF (Main Distribution Frame). The circuit starts its journey at the particular block providing the CP's dial-tone (PSTN) .................. by using 'jumper wires' (Just a 2pr wire really), the Exchange Engineer then connects the dial-tone to the 'ADSL in' block of the ISP providing the broadband (ADSL).

By doing so, it means the dial-tone is sent to the ISP's broadband equipment (Sited somewhere in the Exchange), and is combined with the broadband circuit. Both dial-tone and broadband (PSTN & ADSL) then appear at the 'ADSL out' block on the MDF. From here, it is then 'jumpered' to the Bar/Pair which is basically the allocated pair of fuses feeding the EU's premises via the Cabinet.

If the circuit is an MPF (SKY, Tiscali, AOL, etc etc ....), both dial-tone and broadband are generated at the same block. However, as we (OR) need the ability to be able to test OLO's (Other Licensed Operators) circuits for faulting reasons, the circuit needs to be jumpered through our TAMS (Test Access Matrix System) to be able to achieve this.
So for this example ...... in the diagram below, substitute the ADSL in and out blocks, for TAMS in and out blocks.

I hope you can appreciate where the Exchange work is needed, whenever a change of circs takes place due to migration on ADSL services.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 07:27:58 PM »

Sure thats what i told the ISP CS BS ,this is not an ADSL circuit moving to FTTC (New FTTC install)  it's just plain old BTw FTTC to new ISP with BTw FTTC, would there still be any ADSL ties left over it would explain my odd tones/bitloading graph in D1 band it's like the big dipper.

I realise yours was a VDSL migrate, just putting the info up regarding the ADSL situation, NS.  :)

Even if the ADSL ties were left in, the filtering at the VDSL cab would mean they would have no effect on the circuit.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »

Bit more info on the filtering of DSL at the Fibre Cab ..............  :)

1) Schematic
2) Splitter/Filter
3) Connection strip filter connects to

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »

This is just hardware heaven stop it BS i'm drooling  :blush:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »

Ha ha .....  ;D ;D ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 08:56:49 PM »

In the schematic i can see two filters one for DSL and another for the PSTN is that correct

And thats why the phone worked with only the B-leg connected and modem would not connect because the A-Leg was not connected well it was but to the earth on the BT80b.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:13:13 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »

Oh dear it would seem i have lost G.INP during the migration or the bright box 2 is not g.inp capable and switched me back to interleaving, so have setup the HG612 as modem and BB2 as router.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »

I wonder if the migration has triggered a DLM reset?   DLM resets now appear to remove g.inp from the line.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »

kitz as I said in the other thread my thoery is EE use a different stability profile to BT.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »

I wonder if the migration has triggered a DLM reset?   DLM resets now appear to remove g.inp from the line.
If the same product was ordered ie 80/20  why would it, as wbmc to wbmc migration is just a software change so that it routes from wholesale to the new ISP ,? But as Chrys has pointed out they may order with a different DLM stability option to BT's choice, But how that would pan out i don't know, The bb2 apparently  has a broadcom chipset

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 11:42:13 PM »

Yep I read and replied to this post before I saw NS's post in the other thread.
I should imagine that a change of stability level would reset the DLM, because it will now have different profile parameters.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »

Thanks for explanation i am still recovering from the shock G.INP has been taken away from me but more relaxed about what happend.

At the moment i am hoping the DLM intervenes and increases the interleaving that should lower the errored seconds.

Does anyone know EE DLM stability level is it higher or lower than BT's ?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:42:41 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything