Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fibre activation fee by other provider  (Read 14773 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Fibre activation fee by other provider
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »

Hi guys as my current FTTC product is with BT and i am in the process to migrate to EE now an email has come in to show £6.00 for modem/router thats what we agreed on but below this I see a £50 charge for FTTC activation thats come out of the blue.

We were already charged £50 by BT to activate FTTC on my line 3 years ago why would EE charge another £50 to activate FTTC on my line.

Have been onto EE and they say it's £25 for fttc activation, is this the norm when migratin from an ISP on FTTC to another ???.

I have only 6 days left to cancel so please respond quickly thanks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:56:16 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Fibre activation fee by other provider
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:58:42 PM »

iirc when I checked the BTWholesale price list the other day, FTTC migration is £11 + VAT
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:11:44 AM »

iirc when I checked the BTWholesale price list the other day, FTTC migration is £11 + VAT

Thanks thats £13.20 including VAT knowhere near the £25 EE are asking for that's a rip off.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »

Has been £11.00 since November 2014  also the Min term contract for FTTC >>FTTC migrations is now only 1 month min term ,for migrations where the EU has had FTTC service for the past 12mths  that is both Openreach GEA and Wholesale t &c's as from Nov 2014

So far none of the mass market ISP's have started passing these on , AAISP do a 6mth Min term and activation fee is proportionate @£15, I think  Pulse8 do a no contract FTTC product range, but like AAISP is usage capped  and they charge £30  activation,

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »

Thanks thats £13.20 including VAT knowhere near the £25 EE are asking for that's a rip off.
That's half of what plusnet charge if you don't move line rental to them( £50.00 ) even for migrations !!! and a 18mths tie in   :ouch:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:22:59 AM by tommy45 »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:21:32 AM »

Its a £1 charge to Migrate using a (MAC) to aa fftc home1  ;)

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:25:02 AM »

Its a £1 charge to Migrate using a (MAC) to aa fftc home1  ;)
AA have been charging a lower fee for quite some time, Adrian makes reference to it in one of his rants , shame they will never do unlimited as i have a lot of respect for him and his company, in particular with his stance on snooping and censorship web blocking ect

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 12:27:01 AM »

AA have been charging a lower fee for quite some time, Adrian makes reference to it in one of his rants , shame they will never do unlimited

Cheers i didnt know this that you would be charged a fibre activation charge when moving to another provider, just thought that was a one of fee when moving from ADSL to FTTC it never crossed my mind i would be charged again as i am still using the BTw FTTC product the only difference is the usage is unlimited.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »

Many thanks for all your quick replys it was very helpful during my call to EE this morning and was able to negotiate a very good activation fee  :)

It's no wonder people don't migrate to often with their contact is up to another provider when faced with an undisclosed fee of £50 to activate FTTC when moving your FTTC to another FTTC provider.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »

Happy that you managed to negotiate a deal for the activation costs :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 04:01:04 PM »

I have a question regarding switch over from BT to EE, during the long conversation the activation fee comes from the Openreach engineer having to goto the exchange and switch the line over to EE/orange is that true ?

As I don't have any LLU providers on my line number and it's just basic BTw FTTC i find the above hard to believe.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »

For migration of any xDSL service (i.e. G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+ or VDSL2) to VDSL2 there is nothing to be done at the exchange. The "loosing" supplier turns off the service in software and the "gaining" supplier turns on the service in software.

In the "fibre cabinet" there is a low-pass filter for each circuit which serves two purposes:
  • To stop the VDSL2 signal travelling down the E-side cable back to the exchange.
  • To stop any G.Dmt, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ signal originating from exchange based equipment travelling down the D-side cable to the end-user.
Attached below is an image showing the bank of low-pass filters installed in a Huawei equipped cabinet. (Fitted with a Huawei SmartAX MA5603T MSAN, with the potential for 288 circuits.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 05:56:52 PM »

For migration of any xDSL service (i.e. G.Dmt, ADSL2, ADSL2+ or VDSL2) to VDSL2 there is nothing to be done at the exchange. The "loosing" supplier turns off the service in software and the "gaining" supplier turns on the service in software.

Thats what i thought B*CAT and why i argued with the EE support section there is now need for the OR Engineer to visit the exchange to switch the line from BT to EE have to  :D with the lack of training and knowledge the telephone BB support has these days.

I am not sure what your hinting at with this filter as the exchange that supplies the E-side to my fibre cabinet comes from a different exchange that supplies the voice/telephoney they both end up in my PCP cabinet number 1 (D-side to my premises)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »

sadly although ofcom have regulated the wholesale FTTC migration process, I see not a single Retailer has adjusted.

On migration the wholesale fee is £11 and only 1 month commit, but retailers still have 12+ month commits with activation fee's.

Another clear sign of market failure but ofcom dont seem keen to regulate at the retail level.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »

I am not sure what your hinting at with this filter as the exchange that supplies the E-side to my fibre cabinet comes from a different exchange that supplies the voice/telephoney they both end up in my PCP cabinet number 1 (D-side to my premises)

All VDSL2 circuits have a low-pass filter associated with them. Ignoring from whence the fibre-optic feed to the DSLAM originates (i.e. the the fibre head-end), the low-pass filters are relevant to the metallic pathway. There is actually one very big third reason for the low-pass filters' existence (so big, I overlooked it in my posting, above) and that is to stop the metallic pathway back to the telephony serving exchange (the E-side cable) acting as a bridging tap across the VDSL2 circuit!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4