Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: some info about openreach SFI modules here.  (Read 5141 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
some info about openreach SFI modules here.
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »

http://www.revk.uk/2015/04/the-plot-thickens.html

Interesting read, remember our friend BS mentioned last year that openreach have different modules isp's can order which determine what a visiting engineer can do.  According to revk, it seems BT wholesale might not be on the same wavelength as openreach.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: some info about openreach SFI modules here.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »

Reading Revs Rant, it does seem confusing  ???

However, I thought SFI2 had been available as an option for a couple of years, but with SFI2 you could just chose which module you wanted BT to check and thereby giving the ISP more choice as to pinpoint what they want Openreach to check.    So for example if the ISP suspected it was the EU internal wiring then they could just order the wiring model.   The cost for this is less than the full SFI1 service, therefore ISP supposedly billed for just the modules they order.   irrc one of the modules is Network, which just requests things like pair quality and nothing at the EU premises.

AFAIK ISPs can still use the old full SFI if they wish which is fixed cost, but if say the fault was found to be EU wiring then the ISP would be charged the full rate. 

So it does seem like there is some confusion somewhere regarding terminology and no reason why the SP still cant order the old full monty as SFI(1).   I'd assumed SFI(2) would mostly be used in those cases where the EU may have a problem which requires BT to sort out things like Internal wiring or the modem and the charge would be passed back to the SP for possible billing to the EU....  or am I missing the point of the rant?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »

.... or am I missing the point of the rant?

Aha...  its likely to be a follow on from this

http://www.revk.uk/2015/03/what-comes-after-sfi2.html

However, if you do not find any issue with the metallic path, the next step is that you offer us an SFI2 visit. You do not let us take any other action at that point in the fault process.

This is the step that is broken!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:39:46 AM »

The problem with his rant is he doesnt explain what modules are been ordered for the visits he is unhappy with.  I was only aware of the modules when BS first mentioned them last year on here.  Before then I assumed each SFI visit was equal to one another.  In previous blog posts he has mentioned about openreach only checking if a line meets sin specifications (capable of voice and dialup) and if it does they mark it as fault free.  Those would mimic my experience of visiting engineers who would walk following a passed JDSU test.  But also remember after I did a complaint to plusnet, and I told them they were breaching my cotnract my case got escalated and a manager told me the next engineer a "speed boost" one would properly fix the problem, as luck turns out he did a pair swap and swapped the nte5.  But based on what black sheep told me my guess is plusnet or BTw simply ordered extra modules for that engineer.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »

I thought a boost engineer visit was something different again, more of an optimisation service, and always chargeable to the ISP.

There is a little bit of info about them publicly available:
SFI2 fact sheet
Broadband Boost fact sheet

I thought BT retail once offered a boost visit on the basis the end user would pay for it, unless it didn't increase your speed by at least a certain amount.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »

It's all bollocks.

I managed to get a nicked line sorted the other day with TRC band 4. I've tried every option there is, BTOR don't give a toss :P

Band 4 authorises unlimited work.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »

It's all bollocks.

I managed to get a nicked line sorted the other day with TRC band 4. I've tried every option there is, BTOR don't give a toss :P

Band 4 authorises unlimited work.

TRC and Broadband SFI/Boost tasks are completely different animals.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »

For clarification ..........

Broadband Boost is one of Openreach's Engineering Services' propositions and comprises of a range of engineering activities in order to try and improve the speed, quality and reliability of an end user's broadband service. The engineering activities undertaken within the Broadband Boost service can include work on end user owned wiring and equipment, customer equipment at the end user's premises and work on the BT network itself right back to the local exchange. It is different to the LLU Special Faults Investigation product because:

1) It is an unregulated product available only to Communications Providers (CPs) who agree contract for the service

2) Includes work on the end user’s wiring and equipment

3) Can be tailored to individual CP’s requirements.

=========================================================================

In March 2010 Special Faults Investigation 2 (SFI2) was introduced to replace the previous SFI product (withdrawn March 2011).

The key points of SFI2 are:

The start of an SFI2 task requires you visit the end user premises and complete the Base module. It is mandatory that a Pair Quality Test (PQT) is performed at the NTE and the result stored.

You should only undertake subsequent SFI2 modules as indicated by your test results and only if they are authorised for you to work on. Charging is driven by the activities you complete which are captured from the question set you complete when closing the SFI2 task.

SIN 349 still applies but we should demonstrate this by storing Pair Quality Tests (PQT), pass or fail.

SFI2 is not time bound to 2 hours. It is OK to diagnose and resolve the issue in 20 minutes if that’s all it takes. For example, if the issued is cleared by carrying out the Base module, then that’s OK. Remember - if you need to work beyond the come-back time then you must extend your task.

A good handover including test and demonstrate is important and will help avoid a repeat report
Storing of a Pair Quality Test (PQT) result at the right stages (beginning and end) is mandatory

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

The start of an SFI2 task requires you visit the end user premises and complete the Base module. It is mandatory that a Pair Quality Test (PQT) is performed at the NTE and the result stored.

I suppose they would install the SSFP MK3 or replace the MK2 with a MK3 as standard  :fingers:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »

There is no guidance on that, NS. I would expect most engineers do that as part of their visit ?