Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My son is brilliant .....  (Read 3809 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
My son is brilliant .....
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:54:15 PM »

Bless them.

A house I visited the other day, saw the fault being a 'Mis-jumpered connection' in the Cab. This was the problem regarding their 'No synch fault'.

I rectified this (very simple), but noticed the Cat 5 extension cable was wrongly connected. Each 'Pair' was terminated on terminals 2,3 and 5. In other words, the 'Blue/White' and 'White/Blue' wire was connected to terminal '2'  .............. and the 'Orange/White and 'White/Orange' wire was connected to terminal '5'.
Plus the 'Green' pair had been used as the bell-wire.

I tried to explain the issues this may cause, but was met with a barrage of 'My son is the bees-knees .... you are just making it up' etc etc .................

This job never fails to remind me how many 'Experts' there are out there !! Just because your son has an 'Ology' in Drama ... does not make him a leading light in the world of technology !! My God.  :-\ :no: :'(

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:05:57 PM by Black Sheep »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: My son is brilliant .....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »

I wonder how that extension was connected at the other end?  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »

I long ago lost count of the number of times I've been told that this person or that person is a real genius. I suppose it's a case of "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King". ;D
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »

Ah sure it reminds me of the day when myself wired up the BT80b incorrectly the telephone was working but the modem wasn't getting any sync at all, but learnt a good lesson that day  :blush:

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing BS - made Oi larf.   ;D

In my days 'in the field' I was fine with the real boffins, and with those that professed to know nothing, but oh dear -

- the self-proclaimed 'experts' who would hover over your shoulder proffering 'advice'...   :-X

Was it Pope who said 'A little learning is a dangerous thing' ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:49:10 PM by 4candles »
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »

'My son is the bees-knees .... you are just making it up' etc etc .

Thats probably a mummy's boy thing.   
Ive known certain mothers who think their sons are no less perfect and cant put a foot wrong despite evidence to the contrary.  :lol:   
It doesnt just apply to wiring -  I dont know what it is when it comes to certain things & mums.   

Even my own mother does it to a certain extent.  She often doesn't believe me unless my bro does it, such as she thought her new microwave was broken and wouldn't let me reset it... "No wait until your bro has a look & he will fix it. ".  So she waits over a week until my brother can come over, for him to simply reset it.  ???  Good job me and my bro are close, know what she's like and can laugh it off.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »

Even my own mother does it to a certain extent.  She often doesn't believe me unless my bro does it, such as she thought her new microwave was broken and wouldn't let me reset it... "No wait until your bro has a look & he will fix it. ".  So she waits over a week until my brother can come over, for him to simply reset it.  ???  Good job me and my bro are close, know what she's like and can laugh it off.

I have experienced similar, from opposite perspective.

Mum & Dad have both passed away now.  But in their latter years, when they were fiting fit and 400 miles away, I was a few times pleased to hear my sister was visiting, so she could sort out some crisis like a printer error, or beeping smoke alarm, and specifically microwave in funny state, whatever.   Great, as it took the pressure of me to visit, and allowed me more free time when I did.

Sadly  no.  When Sister and I compared notes afterward, they'd not let her touch it.   Save it for me to fix, they always said, 'I'd not mind'    :D

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »

I had the opposite! Told them I'd ruled out everything but the line from my house to the DP. But no, the guy said I was wrong and should stop reading things on the internet. (Swapped modem and tested port in the cab and replaced my NTE etc etc)

5 visits later (4 from the same guy) he replaced the drop wire and the problem was sorted, I wish I had been here when he did it so he could have seen the smug grin on my face  ;D

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »

Suggest part o the trouble is some people are trained to look for easy things to fix, like blown fuses NOT logic.