Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free 12 mth broadband from Plusnet - Special May Bank Holiday Deals  (Read 16830 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Special May Bank Holiday offers from Plusnet

• Free 12 month Unlimited 17Mbps & w/e calls with their £15.95 pm Line Rental and £75 cashback
  • Free 6 months Unlimited 38Mbps fibre with evening & w/e calls with their £15.95 Line Rental
  • Special Offer Unlimited Fibre Extra 76Mbps with evening & w/e calls @ £8.99 for 6 months plus £15.95 Line Rental

More info here

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member

trying to get more customers when they already have more than they can handle :(

tommy45

• Reg Member

That's about the size of it

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

what you learn with plusnet is the offers are 24/7/365

They never have no special offer on, so when one runs out a new one starts.  So there is nothing special about this offer.

Also like the others said, grabbing more customers when they cannot handle the ones they got.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

So there is nothing special about this offer.

This is the first time Ive ever seen them offering free adsl.    Ive been following the adsl offers for quite a while and its normally are in the £2.99 region.  I'd also been watching very closely since last Nov for a couple of people living nearby who were wishing to migrate when the price was right.
This one is totally free for 12 months.   

I cant recall ever doing a free fibre either.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tommy45

• Reg Member

So there is nothing special about this offer.

This is the first time Ive ever seen them offering free adsl.    Ive been following the adsl offers for quite a while and its normally are in the £2.99 region.  I'd also been watching very closely since last Nov for a couple of people living nearby who were wishing to migrate when the price was right.
This one is totally free for 12 months.   

I cant recall ever doing a free fibre either.
Not totally free though as they insist on you paying them line rental , that's where they make a hefty profits,
On another note Why and how are they getting away with naming the 80/20 fttc product fiber extra? what EXTRA  it offers no more than what the same BT fttc variant offers the EU, and offers possibly less than what established plusnet 80/20 customers  get or are supposed to get according to their T &C's maybe a case tor ASA

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen

>> Not totally free though as they insist on you paying them line rental , that's where they make a hefty profits,

They cant be making that much.   Its cheaper than BT and about the same cost as the other SPs.
Whether or not I agree with how SP's package everything together into triple and soon quad play is another matter :(

>> how are they getting away with naming the 80/20 fttc product fiber extra?

Just their way of differentiating the 80/20 v 40/10(20) product.  Most ISPs do something similar to differentiate the VDSL2 to VDSL1 speeds. 
The only difference is that by default PN supply all at VDSL2 then throttle back the standard fibre speed to vdsl1 speed   

Far more deceptive IMHO is the use of the word 'Fibre' -  but we have the ASA to thank for letting that one slip by. - linky.   If they let Virgin get away with "super duper Fibre-optic Cable Broadband" I dont think theyd be in the slightest interested in PN calling the product with extra speed this way :/
-----

tommy45

• Reg Member

Well they can stick their triple and quad play contracts where the sun aint gonna shine for me, I will avoid like the plague

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

kitz they make a lot on the line rental, wholesale line rental is almost 50% less than the retail price.  This is not free broadband as line rental is required.

I am pretty sure as well they have zero charged adsl before, and one also has to look at the cashback value, they just tinker with different variables of each offer period to make them different, e.g. higher cashback might have higher monthly subs, and lower cashback might have lower monthly subs but the overall saving is roughly the same.  I had £150 cashback signing up and a multiple month discount as well plus waived setup fees.

It might be best to lock these promotional threads, as I am guessing they not intended for discussion?

tommy45

• Reg Member

That's another thing with plusnet if you migrate FTTC in they want to still charge you £50.00 for a non install  when BT OR and Wholesale are only charging ISP's £11.00 , and they didn't provide an option  of not having their doorstop router online when i signed up, and that probably is still the same now, As for the promotional threads the best option would be not to have any of them

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Free 12 mth broadband from Plusnet - Special May Bank Holiday Deals
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »

kitz they make a lot on the line rental, wholesale line rental is almost 50% less than the retail price.  This is not free broadband as line rental is required.

We are getting into semantics here.  The broadband is free if you take line rental, I think its pretty clear on their website. 
They're not hiding it.  If you just want broadband at least they do offer it as a standalone product unlike some other ISPs.   

As regards to wholesale costs, these break down as follows

Wholesale costs

Line rental:   £7.46 + VAT = £8.96
ADSL 2+:   £5.88 + VAT = £7.06

So thats £16.02 before you start on anything else

... WMBC access -  Impossible to work out as this will run into many millions. A 622Mbps central used to cost around half a million.
... and add on the huge cost for Junipers and other routers and network equipment.
... and add on staffing & premises
... and other one off costs such as migration or new connection fees.

ADSL 2+
Connection:   £39.79+VAT
Cease:      £31.12+VAT
Migration:   £11.00+VAT

FTTC
Connection Self Install with own CP router   £49+VAT
Connection Basic with Openreach Modem       £80+VAT
Connection Managed Install using CP router   £99+VAT

FTTC Monthly Access 40/10 = £14.  80/20 = £16+VAT

Not much profit in it for Plusnet - in fact its running at a loss. Definitely so with the cashback offer  :/

* You have to add VAT on because although PN dont pay it to BT, they still have to collect it on behalf of HMRC for residential customers
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

As for the promotional threads the best option would be not to have any of them

Really?  Im not sure why after 8 years its suddenly become an issue.  :o

This section is entitled ISP Offers and Deals.  Its meant to inform users of any deals that are currently available.
Its always been here and also used by other ISP reps to post information that you may not see elsewhere (ie Zen).

Personally I think its a very good offer and I thought other members may be interested in it. There are far worse ISPs out there and EU's could do worse in choice of service provider and pay more.  The reason I posted the info is because it is a decent deal. 

This section isnt meant to be a bitch fest, if you have an issue with an ISP then take it over to the ISP section.

PS.  No Im not locking it because someone may actually want to discuss the deal - not pick fault at products marketed in the same way as any other ISP.
The offer seems to have been well received elsewhere as a good deal - even on the likes of TBB.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:29:06 PM by kitz »
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »

kitz we will agree to disagree :) if the broadband was truly free then it would also be free without line rental.  Plusnet arent alone in this, almost all of the isp's are at the same game, its clear market failure.  But anyway I did the maths and this deal is worse than the one I got when I signed up, they just playing consumers for fools tinkering with the numbers every month or so so they can get media sites to advertise new offers.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »

I think this is a good deal even with the line rental cost factored in.Other than Virgin Media I thought line rental(having a land line) was a necessity to be able to receive broadband.
I have been mulling over all these cheap offers over the last couple of weeks,the one with SSE also seems a good offer(getting free ADSL broadband for 2 years)
At present I'm with A&A Isp and its not cheap,but their support is second to none(you get what you pay for).Cost is a big issue with me but also good support is also,so I have to try and find a happy medium.I can only get ADSL at present and that is very poor(around 2.6mb).I am able to afford the A&A cost at present but am always looking at saving money.I think Plusnet are one of the decent big isp's and are quite well respected.Not sure where their support lines are,I have heard some are based in South Africa and also the UK(please correct me if I'm wrong)
As Kitz has said,this thread is there to post isp deals and offers,anything else should be posted in relevant threads or taken up outside this forum with isps.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »

.I think Plusnet are one of the decent big isp's and are quite well respected.Not sure where their support lines are,I have heard some are based in South Africa and also the UK(please correct me if I'm wrong)

100% UK. Their Head Office is Sheffield and last year they opened a new call centre in Leeds.   Call waiting times arent too good atm though unless you ring late at night.
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything