Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Frequent disconnections - is G.INP the answer?  (Read 2791 times)

davidenco

• Just arrived
Frequent disconnections - is G.INP the answer?
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »

I have two VDSL connections over separate phone lines connected to a DrayTek 2850n. WAN1 is connected directly into the VDSL faceplate whereas WAN2 is connected to an ECI modem. The cabling between the faceplates and pole was installed by Openreach. The pole is a metal one and Openreach has advised me that all cabling between our premises and the cabinet is aluminium. The cabinet is a Huawei 288.

In November 2014 an Openreach engineer was sent out to fix a fault on both connections whereby they kept dropping every day. He discovered the wires in the metal pole had oxidised and after "cleaning them up" the problem was resolved. All was fine till early 2015 when the problem started to occur all over again and throughout the year to date it's been getting worse.

Our ISP, Zen Internet, has advised me that they cannot raise a fault with Openreach because the connections must occur at least 10 times a day to be classed as a fault; it's happening once or twice a day at the most. They have also advised me that they believe we don't have to use a Huawei modem with a Huawei cabinet and that G.INP will not make a difference to our connections. Is this correct or not?

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Frequent disconnections - is G.INP the answer?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »

Incorrect. G.Inp benefitted me a great deal.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

Although the statement " . . . don't have to use a Huawei modem with a Huawei cabinet . . . " is correct, it is utter folly to use an ECI B-FOCuS modem with a Huawei cabinet. Putting it as simply as possible, the Huawei DSLAMs are G.INP able but the current ECI modems are not.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »

A note for anyone else reading this, the Draytek Vigor 2850 series is currently incompatible with g.inp.   Draytek are hoping to find a fix. 
Any information on this will be posted in the main thread for compatible g.inp modem/routers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

splbound

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »

Our ISP, Zen Internet, has advised me that they cannot raise a fault with Openreach because the connections must occur at least 10 times a day to be classed as a fault; it's happening once or twice a day at the most. They have also advised me that they believe we don't have to use a Huawei modem with a Huawei cabinet and that G.INP will not make a difference to our connections. Is this correct or not?

I am with Zen too and have been experiencing a lot of PPP disconnections which have steadily been getting worse since March 2015 peaking at about 3-4 disconnections in a 24 hour period. It has been getting a little better now and dropped down to 1 -2 the past two days.

I also got the "cannot raise a fault with Openreach because the connections must occur at least 10 times a day" which I think is BS for what is meant to me a stable always on service. Stability to me does not involve frequent disconnections. It was also implied to me that the disconnections have to be vdsl2 sync loss and not just PPP loss.

What caught my eye is that you started experiencing the disconnection problems too starting early 2015 as well, most likely unrelated to mine but still...

Although the statement " . . . don't have to use a Huawei modem with a Huawei cabinet . . . " is correct, it is utter folly to use an ECI B-FOCuS modem with a Huawei cabinet. Putting it as simply as possible, the Huawei DSLAMs are G.INP able but the current ECI modems are not.  :-X

I agree 100%. Zen's advice was technically correct, it works. But in the context of getting the most from the connection, it's not the best advice. I was supplied with an ECI but as soon as I came to this forum and enlightened from the information of the good people here, I switched over to the HG612. A good move just to access the line stats.

G.INP making no difference to our connections? Well when it was activated on my line I gained about 7-8K mbps in sync speed and halved my ping times, in my case it helped a lot.

In your case, having two VDSL lines coming in to your premises crosstalk may be an issue. G.INP is supposed to help with this. So I would err towards that G.INP will be beneficial for you and both your lines.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

In the light of what both Kitz and splbound have now posted, we can see that when davidenco uses the DrayTek 2850n, its in-built VDSL2 modem is currently incompatible with G.INP and using an ECI B-FOCuS modem to feed the second WAN port effectively "doubles the incompatibility" as the ECI B-FOCuS modems are also incompatible with G.INP. (Please excuse my turn of phrase "doubles the incompatibility", for I could not think of any other way of expressing it!  :blush:  )

As for a representative of Zen claiming "that G.INP will not make a difference" to the connections is just plain wrong.  >:(  Perhaps they are the words of a new employee who has not finished her/his basic CS training?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »

I am with Zen too and have been experiencing a lot of PPP disconnections which have steadily been getting worse since March 2015 peaking at about 3-4 disconnections in a 24 hour period. It has been getting a little better now and dropped down to 1 -2 the past two days.

I also got the "cannot raise a fault with Openreach because the connections must occur at least 10 times a day" which I think is BS for what is meant to me a stable always on service. Stability to me does not involve frequent disconnections. It was also implied to me that the disconnections have to be vdsl2 sync loss and not just PPP loss.

What caught my eye is that you started experiencing the disconnection problems too starting early 2015 as well, most likely unrelated to mine but still...
If your connection is not loosing sync then BT openreach wouldn't see it as fault, the loss of PPPOE /PPPOA session's are the ISP's part of the ship, as it may be down to their radius servers, or down to a very high error rate so high it would be very noticeable i would imagine