Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: BT Broadband Continuation  (Read 24874 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: BT Broadband Continuation
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »

Well, your problem is because your ISP, BT Internet, were fobbing you off all the time, instead of realising you actually did have a line fault, and pushing it through to BT Wholesale.

If you were with an ISP with better tech support, they would have pushed it through to BT Wholesale a lot quicker, and this would probably have been sorted weeks ago!!

So I would still consider changing ISPs when your BT contract is up. Just to put your mind at rest, if you move ISPs, it won't affect anything to do with your phone line, or the DLM or anything like that! :)
Chris

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »

Its good that they are going to be looking into it for you, if you do encounter any problems just post and im sure there will be a a lot of good advice offered :)
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »

One last question where can i buy a DreamCast game console :D:D

The Power

• ISP Rep
  • Just arrived
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »

Hi Broadband1,

this is my first post so be easy on me.

I have to agree with Ezzer, you stats look very much like a fixed rate 0.5mb profile. This is strengthed by the fact your downstream SNR is 30db. This is the highest it can/should go and that should only be in the case of a fixed rate line. I would be a little worried about an engineer coming round. Openreach engineers can not and will not test for performance. All they will do is check that you are synced (not bothering with the actual speed) and auth'd, if that is the case you run very close to being charged.

What you need to be is for BT to check your profile on the DSLAM, maybe see if you can push them to remove and re-create you VP? The change in the VP can have been created by BT "capping" the line as suggested by Drefsab. Push BT to go over the DSLAM with a fine tooth comb.

Good Luck

"The Power"

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:50 PM »

I think thats what BT are doing atleast I hope my thoughts a right  :hmm:  they say they are sending an Engineer over to the Exchange and hopefully sort it out so i can play my Football Manager without lagging :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »

>>> I have to agree with Ezzer, you stats look very much like a fixed rate 0.5mb profile.

Weve been saying this for well over a month - its been getting BTBroadband to recognise this.

It was first mentioned on the 5th of Feb and weve been going round in circles since then trying to get the ISP to at least do something.

I dont think its BT (your ISP) that has done this.
I strongly suspect you are on Max (why else would there have been a few recorded FEC errors last night) .... and been rate limited by the DLM if your line has been detected as a "cronic flapper" at some point.

.../snip/ ...

What I would do is contact your ISP and tell them:-

~ Your line stats of Attenuation 27dB and SNR Margin of 30.5dB indicate that your line should be capable of the full 8Mb.
~ It is evident that your line is being rate limited at some point to 576Kbps.

You need to stress to the ISP that you suspect it could be some sort of restriction placed by BTw's Dynamic Line Management system that is stopping you attain sync any higher than 576kbps...  and could they please check to see if your account has been incorrectly capped by the BTw system.

Since then there must have been numerous posts clarifying this was the case and telling the OP exactly what to say to BT broadband - such as this one on the 6th of Feb.

It later transpired that the line also had a fault at one point caused by a power surge from EDF  which caused a fluctuating atten figures up to 50dB.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »

Well i recieved a call on my mobile from a BT Tech Desk / Line Faults saying "they have sent an engineer to my exchange to sort things out and i should soon see a difference in BB performance"  hopefully they are right :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »

Fingers crossed for you broadband1.   
Although tbh they should be able to request that your line is reset remotely to get rid of the fixed rate profile  ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »

Well thats BT for you

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »

Unfortunately this is how it is with big companies... especially when overseas call centres are involved  ::)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »

I know the prefer cheap labour rather than giving customers the full Enchilada :P

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 12:12:47 PM »

Did you see any improvement in your service?
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »

Well an engineer just came round the same one they sent to the Exchange. Apparently he couldn't find any problems from the Exchange so he reqested my line be remotely reset which was a few days ago. He came today to test my line same old results

Uptime:   0 days, 0:05:33
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   224 / 576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]:   409.00 / 121.98
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.0 / 15.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.5 / 24.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   26.0 / 31.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   125 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   692 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

He said " these stats a really good he couldnt understand why this was happening " and now hes off back to the Exchange to play around with the line

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »

DOH   :wall: :wall: :wall:

Here we got again..  they still havent done what we said needed doing way back early Feb   :angry:

You need to tell them.

YOU ARE ON A CAPPED RATE MAX DSL Product

That isnt your Line
Its NOT your IP Profile its Not your bRAS profile.
It CANT be changed by attempting to  reset your IPprofile /bRAS profile.
Its not capped by your ISP
- Its been capped by the Dynamic Line Management system at some point in the past due to your line having been a "Cronic Flapper" when you had the power surge.

Someone needs to pull out BTs Handbook and look up

BT IPStream DSL Max Capped Rate Profile 500

They need to submit an order to BT wholesale to change your product from BT IPSTream Max Capped to BT IPStream Max.

Give the above info to your ISP - do not change any information or the wording.

Dont waffle dont say anything else be firm with the IPStream DSL Capped Rate Product but do stress that failure to comply with your request will result in you requesting your MAC Key without financial penalty so that you can go to an ISP that will understand and be able to undertake such a request.
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 08:26:48 PM »

Ill have to contact BT through e-mail as the engineer has messed up my line  :no:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything