Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: BT Broadband Continuation  (Read 24884 times)

NickG

• Just arrived
Re: BT Broadband Continuation
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »

Broadband1
Do you have any dimmer switches in your house? If so, I know it will be annoying, but try not to turn ANY of them on at all for a couple of days and see if you still get disconnects. My father had similar issues to you but after a year or so, he noticed that the problem only seemed to occur when they were using the dining room lights, which were on a wall dimmer.

Have you tried "the orange wire trick"? Ie, disconnecting the orange ring wire from terminal 3 in the master socket? This wire serves no purpose for modern phones, but can act like a giant aerial. When I disconnected mine, my broadband speed increased by about 30%.

Nick...

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »

I have just tried that orange wire thing but no luck there isnt a wire in my phone line. all there is, is just a test socket and on white wire leading off into the wall soo sorry mate  :no:

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »

Just a thought, NickG did state quite rightly the wire in termination3 (the bell wire)

Also this wire isn't required on SOME modern phones in an extention socket to ring during an incomming call.
There are still plenty of modern phones which still rely on the bell wire. If this is disconnected at the master socket then as long as you have a micro filter in an extention that's being used then the phone will still ring as microfilters all seem to have a capacitor within them. Other wise if you revert to using phones without a microfilter you may find you and any answering machine may keep missing calls.

If an one is trying this an find a cable with just an orange and white wire, don't disconnect these wires, that's your incomming phone line
should be on terminations 2 & 5

If you have an NTE5, the one with a seam running across the front where the face plate comes away with a test socket underneath, don't worry these wires will behind the next part of the socket on the a & b terminations)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 11:24:33 PM »

ok soo thats a no can do. I ran a speed test my line shows 513kbps :P off www.speedtest.net . By the way NickyG i don't have any dimmer switches in my house, me and house mate cant be asked to get them :P

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 05:16:45 PM »

ok soo thats a no can do. I ran a speed test my line shows 513kbps :P off www.speedtest.net . By the way NickyG i don't have any dimmer switches in my house, me and house mate cant be asked to get them :P

Speedtest.net will only run as far as your pc will allow.

You should run the bt speedtester and the thinkbroadband testers for actual speed results. Any tests run by the BT speedtester will sit in the archives for a spell so you can access the information when you call your ISP.

http://speedtester.bt.com/ - no more than once every 3 hours

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Post the results from these.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »

Ok i have just run these test and i couldn't use the BT Tester but here are the results from the Think one

Speed Test Results
Date    03/03/08 22:06:24
Speed Down:    482.33 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps )

Speed Up:   171.02 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )
Port    80
Server    speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 03:28:53 AM »

ok soo thats a no can do. I ran a speed test my line shows 513kbps :P off www.speedtest.net .

I'm confused by that statement  ???

I thought it had been established ages ago that the reason why you arent getting anymore - nor will you get- speeds much higher than 500 kbps - is because your IP profile is set at 500kbps.

It would appear that there is an intermittent fault on occasions causes your line that causes it to sync in those regions... which is why your speed is continually low. 
Whilst your line has an IPprofile of 500 - then theres no way your throughput speed is ever going to be much above that.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

Definately appears stuck a 0.5mb fixed, a call to your ISP me thinks

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 11:07:37 PM »

I thought it had been established ages ago that the reason why you arent getting anymore - nor will you get- speeds much higher than 500 kbps - is because your IP profile is set at 500kbps.

Yes. Remember it's gone one stage further, and the line sync has been reduced to 576/288 by the DLM as it's been classed as a bad line.

Broadband1, I think there has been enough messing about here. This is going round in circles, and is starting to waste people's time who have been good enough to spend a lot of time try and help you out.

For everyone's benefit, and for the last time, I will summarise the fault up to now, and then give a detailed explanation of what you need to do.

Summary

• ADSL Max line - originally syncing at 6-7Mbps.
  • Line developed a fault causing attenuation to fluctuate
  • DLM eventually drops SYNC speed down to 576/288kbps
  • Don't know whether line is fixed or not, but stats posted Feb 22nd look promising

Detailed Explanation - Broadband1, please take the time to read this in full

Your line was initially good, as you say, it was originally syncing at around 6-7Mbps.

Due to a fault which I don't know the reason for, which meant your attenuation was fluctuating badly, the DLM has flagged the line as a bad line, and DLM has restricted the sync to a FIXED 576/288 connection.

The original fault may have now been fixed, it may not. I can't say, since I haven't seen any line stats since Feb 22nd. Those stats at the beginning of this post looked promising (30.5dB downstream SNR at 576kbps sync)

So, if the attenuation is now stable (or just varies by 1dB or 2dB at a push), and the SNR does not drop too much during the course of the day, then that's a good start, and indicates that the line may be ok now.

But if it isn't stable, you need to get the ISP to get the line sorted out before you can even begin to think about speed tests.

So, when, AND ONLY WHEN, the line is stable, your next course of action is to try and get your ISP to reset the DLM and put the line back into ADSL Max training.

I will repeat what I said to you ages ago... there is nothing more we can help with on this forum, at least until your sync speed rises to more than 576/288. By all means keep us informed of your progress with BT, but don't keep asking what to do as several of us have told you countless times what you need to say to them.

Here's what I would say to BT in your situation:

"My line sync speed is stuck at a fixed 512k, because my upstream is 288kbps.
"It used to be much higher, but there was a problem with my line which now seems to be ok. However I am now stuck with a 512k fixed speed connection because of the DLM."
"I have been using the master test socket and the line is totally stable, but my sync speed has not increased despite being promised that it would"
"Please will you reset the DLM for my line and put my line back into training mode"

If you get no luck with BT one day, then phone them again the next day... and phone them every day, until you get through to someone who will actually do something for you. Yes I know it's a pain to keep ringing them and getting nowhere, and I agree, you shouldn't have to. But unfortunately you do, if you want your problem sorting out.

But, whether your line is OK now or not, either way, while you are still syncing at 576/288, there is NO POINT WHATSOEVER running a speedtest - at all. I know Azzaka asked you to do one, but he probably hadn't read your previous thread where I, and others, kept telling you that the problem was with the sync speed and that speedtests weren't going to prove anything.

So, you need to keep a watch on the sync speed in your router. Running speedtests is wasting your time. Posting them up here is wasting our time. Please don't post any more speedtests here until your sync speed changes to something higher than 576 downstream or 288 upstream.

When you ring BT, the helpdesk person will probably say to you something about waiting a few days - that is a standard response, but your problem is different. If the helpdesk bod actually does reset DLM and put your line back into training mode, it should take effect that same night, and by the following morning you should be seeing sync speeds of a lot higher than 576.

If it hasn't increased in the morning after restarting your router, you need to ring again, and again until someone does something. Keep stressing that it is not just your IP profile that is low, that your SYNC SPEED is 576 down, 288 up.

Then see how you get on.

But I will say it again... until your sync speed increases, speedtests are TOTALLY USELESS and posting results is a waste of everybody's time, including yours.

If this has come across as a bit harsh, it is purely out of frustration with repeating the same questions and answers over and over again.

The bottom line is, if you actually want to get your line sorted out, you need to contact BT on a daily basis until something happens. If you get no joy after trying for say 10 days EVERY DAY, then you have the option of complaining higher up within BT. But at the moment, you will need to be more persistent with the helpdesk if you are to stand a chance of getting anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:10:22 PM by mr_chris »
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »

Thanks guys i took your advice and heres the responce i recieved (Written as closely as possible)

I have conducted a test on your line and the results indicate a fault. I have escalated this matter to our Line Fault Helpdesk. You can expect a response from them within two working days. Alternatively if you would like an update on your fault or have any further concerns, you may contact them on 0800 7310 8578 (open from 09:00-21:00 hours), quoting the VOL reference number above.

Please bear with us as a line upgrade is already under process and your line speed will be upgraded soon from your exchange. Please check the above mentioned link to get the latest updates regarding Line upgrade.

I think this might be the response I've been after :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »

That sounds hopeful. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »

>> I think this might be the response I've been after

Hopefully - Fingers crossed for you :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »

Basically your line is suffering an intermittent fault, when lines become intermittent to a certain extent the BT system will "CAP" the line at what it believes  to be the most stable fixed rate ADSL profile. Your ISP should have been able to check this from the capped circuit report they get.

Doing this can help fix really bad connections but all it does is plaster over the greater problem. I would ask your ISP to check the capping report and have the cap removed so that you can diagnose the problem correctly because as long as your line remains capped you wont really know if you have fixed the issue.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »

That's what we decided ages ago :P

It's taken this much to get his ISP to recognise there is a fault - lets see what happens before we confuse them any more!!
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »

BT are taking action now as I called the Faults line for my BroadBand and they're sending an engineer to the Exchange and to my house to sort things out  :thumbs: i might stay on BT if things get sorted out as It would kill me if I had to go through this again, maybe ill take this into consideration, The Cheapest is never ever ever the best  :wall:

Oh one last thing I know many of you guys have spent many a minute  :P helping me so a big thank-you is due

:clap2:   !! THANKS !!  :clap2:

And does anyone know where I can buy the legendary DreamCast Console :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:32:11 PM by Broadband1 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

anything