Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: BT Broadband Continuation  (Read 24873 times)

Broadband1

• Reg Member
BT Broadband Continuation
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »

Kitz as you said heres my Line Stats as requested.

DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   1 day, 2:30:24
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   288 / 576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   8.40 / 126.10
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 9.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.0 / 26.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   24.0 / 30.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   92 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   111 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 337
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 22

I called bt anyway same old same old wait 3 days for IP and bRas Profile to change. Strange thing is when I use the kitz Broadband checker i type my postcode with no phone number and this is what i get.

Exchange: Southbank.     BT Code: WRSTHBK
   ADSL enabled :    March 30, 2000
   dsl Max enabled:    March 30, 2006
   SDSL enabled :    Enabled
   21CN due :    Phone No Required

Distance:-    Direct:          966 metres
          (appx)*    By Road:    1.77 km
BT Line Speed Estimation    

adsl button    Fixed ADSL:     2048 kbps    (2 Mb)
adsl button    DSL Max :      6000 kbps    (6 Mb)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Broadband Continuation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »

>> I called bt anyway same old same old wait 3 days for IP and bRas Profile to change

Same old old from BT :/   :wall:
.....  and why I think the frustration in your other thread.

The IP/bRAS profile has nothing what so ever to to do with having an effect on what the maximum speed you will sync at.
The IP profile follows your sync speed - not the other way round.

They really need to send an engineer out to look at your line to see why you are getting such a low connection speed, that isnt in line with the line stats that you are outputting.

>> when I use the kitz Broadband checker i type my postcode with no phone number

Thats an indication of what speeds other users in your immediate vicinity are getting.

>>
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »

I have tried requesting an Engineer still trying to stall me by saying check cables and use TEST socket which i have been using for 2weeks to no avail. Luckily I know a BT engineer who would be upto this Challenge and he will do it free soo Screw BT!!  :shoot:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »

hmmm

If I were you I'd be screaming at BT by now threatning that if they cant help fix my problem then give me a MAC key so I can go to an ISP that at least half understands how the adsl system works  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:46:36 AM »

By the way i have run the BTw speed test and another on BTw my speed is 499kbps on 500kbps IP Profile and on www.speedtest.net my speed is 502kbps on 500kbps IP Profile are these correct.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 01:16:55 AM »

Possibly both.

The IP profile is an indication of the Maximum throughput that you will receive.   The Max throughput depends on the amount of overheads carried with your data throughput.  Different speedtesters can estimate the ATM + TCP overheads slightly differently - hence why you will see different speeds on different speedtesters. 

Read this for a bit more info
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speeds2.htm
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:49:26 PM »

Ok thanks for that mate really helped  :thumbs: i checked out my speed on speedtest.net it jammed at about 507-512k error or real ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:06:50 PM »

>> i checked out my speed on speedtest.net it jammed at about 507-512k error or real ?

If your IP profile is set at 500..   possibly anything between about 480 - 510 could be correct..   it just depends on what calculations they allow for overheads.   
I cant find it now - but going from memory iirc  TBB used to say on their site that they made an allowance of 8% for ATM overheads.
-----

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

downstream attenuation @ 26db is good. (I'm still curious why you had in the past this figure jumping up to the low 50's before ? :hmm:)

Your on a fixed 0.5mb so an snr of 30.5 is very good (fixed speed dsl the higher the snr the better <9 uh-oh, teens= average. 20's good, 30's very good, 40's hello

the only thing, what time period did you get those errors and are they stable now ? if you got that many in just a few mins then here could be the area to look at.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:02:20 PM by mr_chris »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »

Ezzer, I don't know why your post showed up as a new topic rather than as a reply... but I've merged them together. Very odd!

I agree. Downstream attenuation of 26dB is good.

HOWEVER.... this is still an ADSL Max line which has been identified as so bad that it's gone down to a fixed 512 connection speed.

Broadband1 - a few of us have said to you in your other thread, that the Sync speed is nothing to do with your IP or bRAS profile.

Please don't confuse the two... in fact forget about IP / bRAS profile for the moment, they are totally irrelevant to this problem you're having, so there's no point even talking about them until your sync speed has risen again.

I'll explain it.

Your sync speed... i.e. the speed your router and exchange have decided to connect at, has fallen and now appears to be permanently stuck at 512k (576k).

This is because the system known as "DLM" (dynamic line management) has counted so many errors on your line that it has put emergency measures in place and restricted you to 512k to see if that helps to keep it from re-syncing too frequently.

We never really got to the bottom of whether the line was now stable or not.

If it is now stable, BT needs to reset the DLM settings for your line i.e give it a second chance!
If it is STILL NOT stable, BT needs to send an engineer round to you.

Next time you speak to BT (i don't know how often you ring them to try and get it sorted), don't accept anything related to "bRAS or IP Profiles... waiting x days for the profile to update". Stress that this is the actual SYNC speed that is limited to 512 and has done so after a line fault. They should be able to see that your line is on DSL Max and it isn't just a simple case of re-submitting an order for a DSL Max upgrade!
Chris

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »

I had a download on the pc which caused me to "time out" at about the time I posted, soz my fault.

Otherwise, the inital profile may be max but as the stats show 1/4 meg upstream I was looking at the stats from a fixed speed perspective. Sorry about that, it's just with my backround I never look at what the profile is ment be (Openreach engineers don't get this info on any broadband faults any more :paperbag:. someone should tell Ofcom if everyone was psycic, phones wouldn't have been invented). We just look at what the lines doing at that moment.

Your spot on with with the fobbing off by the isp, all too common unfortunately   

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »

Ok now I understand what i need to do. I have to call BT THD and get them to Reset the DLM. But one thing back in the first 2 months of my BT Contract my broadband speed was flying high in the high 6mbps - low 7's. then all of a sudden out of nowhere my HomeHub started re-syching at 1am then i was slowly dropped to 576k :o Anyways ill give BT a buzz in the morning dont think they'll be open at 10:30pm.

PS. My line has been stuck on 26db attenuation and 35.5db SNR Margin for 2weeks now approximately. and I only get errors while I play online on my Xbox360 and download anything over 55MB
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:41:02 PM by Broadband1 »

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »

with the errors over that sort of usage i'll say no problem there.

Although are you still getting the loss of sync at 1am or that stable now ?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:53:31 AM »

But one thing back in the first 2 months of my BT Contract my broadband speed was flying high in the high 6mbps - low 7's. then all of a sudden out of nowhere my HomeHub started re-syching at 1am then i was slowly dropped to 576k :o

Yeah, because of something causing lots of re-syncs - as I explained in my post earlier on - although where I said "DLM has counted so many errors" - I should have said re-syncs, not errors. My mistake.

Glad to hear your line is now stable at 512k. Let's hope BT actually understand what you're trying to get them to do... and let us know how you get on :)
Chris

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »

New Update: Rang BT this afternoon absolutely no luck at all  :no: BT refuse to do anthing even just to look at my line stats. Even though the BT Engineer who lives on my street (How lucky) even said that I need them to reset the DLM on my line i'm not sure how to put it but people as intelligent as you guys should know I hope :P.

Right now me and my house-mate are considering switching to Satellite broadband we already have 3 Satellite ISP's jamming their offers down the door.

Another option is Virgin Media now offering Fibre Optic in my Area. Soo looking to get a MAC and say 'Bon Voyage' to BT if you dont know french bon voyage means Good Bye  ;D

By the way what is Output Power all about Eg. Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 9.0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:59:15 PM by Broadband1 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything