Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: BT Broadband Continuation  (Read 24996 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT Broadband Continuation
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »

the main stats you just posted indeed look really good :thumbs:

BUT............

Uptime 5:33 with errored seconds 692 ! (big neon sign of an arrow flashing needed here)

Previous stats showed errors but based on a much longer time, if that was even over that time then no problem. Errors are best reviewed over a shorter space of time. in 5 min's 33 thats a hell of a lot. seems to suggest events occuring in bursts which if you were running on rate adaptive would alert the dlm which explains the throttle back. if thats the case then going back on to rate adaptive will put you back to square one again until this can be cleared.

Treat errors in the same way as SNRM in diagnostics, they can also be caused by equipment problems typicaly the router/modem (excessive heat in the router can cause this as well).

When you get a throttle back situation its like driving along a motorway when you come across what felt like black ice, then you know you can do 70mph, but you dawdle at 20 until you feel confident things are ok and you drive at then drive at typical speeds. If there's still black ice around, you'll have an accident. The system throttles speeds back for a reason, no good in getting it reset if the cause is still lurking.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »

thats just made me think of the Excessive heat thing my router is next to a radiator thaats on 89% of the time whether I want it or not.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2008, 02:06:55 AM »

I've always found hot routers to be troublesome. my general rule of thumb, place your palm on the router, if it's a bit warm- thats normal. If the heat is on the verge of: If it were a cup of tea or coffee at that temperature, could you drink it ? if yes, thats either the problem or a contributry factor. :flamer:

resite the router and monitor those errors (actualy thinking about it, at last a possible explanation of the dramatic change in the downstream attenuation you were getting before :idea:)

Avoid sitting a router on carpet if you can because that can act like an insulator unless you can site the router on it's edge, quite a few routers have feet or stands giving this as an option. Mainly to save desk/shelf space. but also to allow good air circulation. if you don't get those errors mounting up in a short space of time then that may prove the problem and you will be safe to have your service back as a rate adaptive dsl again.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »

I moved it to a slightly more Temprate part of the Living roon aka the Dining Table or in my case The Table :) and no disconnections today.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »

Sounds promessing  ;D

Hows the errors ?

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 10:02:13 PM »

I'll show you:

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 2:51:21
Modulation:   G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   288 / 576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   18.29 / 124.42
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 8.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.0 / 26.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   25.0 / 30.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   252 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   1,109 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

I called BT about the IPStream Max and apparently my line isn't being capped which I don't think is as true as that guy wants it to be

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »

The problem with saying capped is that BT helpdesk will thing that you mean that they as your ISP is capping you.  Which certainly isnt the case

However this is a specific type of adsl product similar to the old fixed rate product.  Thats why I suggested copying what I typed and it may actually get through to someone.
Its a BTWholesale account type NOT the ISP account.

Its like banging your head against a brick wall

Ive said several times, Ezzer who is a BT Engineer has said.. mr Chris had said..  and about 3 reps from other ISPs have also said.. along with several others along the way.
Several times youve been told what to say to the ISP...

-  yet BT the ISP just dont seem to be getting it.  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »

Ok some more Progress i just got off the phone and BT have put through an order to BTw to switch from IP Stream Max Capped 500k to IP Stream Max and I should call again in case no improvements are made.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 04:10:35 AM »

I need a "fingers crossed" smiley.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »

I hope this goes well for you, I cant belive they are taking so long to resolve what should be such a simple issue.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »

me neither - hence why so many of us are getting so frustrated over BTs failure to understand what is going on  :no:
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 11:52:09 PM »

After 2days of Heavy Duty Swearing, A broken PSP don't even ask, £3.50 in call fees, 22 cans of Pepsi and 0 showers :vomit: In the end all I got was a MAC Code and i think it's Either SmallWorld Media Cable upto 20Mbps or Virgin Media Cable 20Mbps. To be honest BT should be paying people to give them a crappy service rather than people paying BT hopefully none of you will buy ANYTHING off BT Hopefully  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:02 AM »

:( :no: 
-----

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »

well a Virgin Engineer Man is coming round on Tuesday to install the Fibre Optic Cabling and stuff 'upto' 20 Megs here i come :D:D

Oh and if you're wondering I was just soo Angry over the phone that the guy just gave me the MAC Code free of charge And who said violence doesn't solve anything  :shoot: :lol: 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »

btw you wont need a MAC to transfer to Virgin Cable.  Different technology.
Therefore make sure you do a full cancellation of the service with your ISP when you have a date for cable.

Good luck with Virgin :)
-----
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything