Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 3B SOGEA?  (Read 1000 times)

marineio

HG612 3B SOGEA?
« on: April 12, 2024, 05:20:25 PM »

Hi!

Is the HG612 3B compatible with "SOGEA" type FTTC services?

A friend is moving to Onestream, who appear to charge a per month rental for their router, but will remove this charge if you bring your own (said price not included in comparison site prices... sneaky!). Since we don't need the HG612 any more as we're on FTTP, if it'll get him going, it'll save £3 a month (£3 a month, 24 months is £75, and you don't even keep the router at the end!).

Cheers

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: HG612 3B SOGEA?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 06:41:59 PM »

The HG612 is getting a bit long in the tooth now but should work as a modem in it's default state. It can be configured for routing if unlocked but is pretty underpowered and not really recommended to be used like that.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

marineio

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 07:02:14 PM »

The idea was to just use it as a modem, I have another router he can also have (we used this combination early in troubleshooting our own fttc issues). SoGEA was a new term to me and I had to do a bit of reading to get up to speed - he didn't seem aware that it would mean he loses the phone number attached to the phone line, and he wasn't warned of this on the phone from Onestream!

He's going to get in touch with them tomorrow or Monday to inquire as to why he wasn't told this is what would happen.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 07:07:06 PM by marineio »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 08:05:30 PM »

The HG612 is getting a bit long in the tooth now but should work as a modem in it's default state. It can be configured for routing if unlocked but is pretty underpowered and not really recommended to be used like that.

I've never tried operating them as a router, but as a modem they were by far the best for me when I ran VDSL lines.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

anything