Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New ASA ruling may mean less fibre roll-out information  (Read 2624 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
New ASA ruling may mean less fibre roll-out information
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

Article in TBB weekly news.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:45:23 PM by renluop »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: New ASA ruling may mean less fibre roll-out information
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »

The three original complaints were about cabinets that had an original date set, but then seemed to keep getting their dates pushed back, and as frustrating as that is at least by having a date one would know that Openreach still had the cabinet in their plan.

Oh dear.   
I can recall reading something a while back about the complaints and thinking I hope that doesnt mean we will get less info.  As Saffy says something is better than nothing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »

I can't see what this has to do with the ASA; in fact it sounds like mission-creep.

Surely the information posted by BTOR was just that - information - not advertising in the sense that I would expect the ASA to adjudicate.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »

Why don't you promote B4RN to cable similar areas, Walter ?? Obviously, it's too late for the example above.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »

@ BS

B4SH (SurreyHills) won't happen tomorrow but who knows ?!?!?!

EDIT I should add that B4SH will be far more difficult as all the local cabinets have been now been FTTC enabled** thus removing the urgent need from the village centres but leaving a desperate group of outliers and an intermediate group in total of around 250.
** This includes THCN Cranleigh which became a "Commercial development" after BT, first refusing to provide FTTC, then - with the "help" of Parish Councillors who signed a non-disclosure agreement -  destroyed our SEEDA RDPE Grant-approved fully sustainable project containing a complete fibre spine specifically designed to provide FTTH

I believe Surrey was the BDUK pilot so they have just announced another Open Market Review as below. I wonder how they can define what needs to be done when much of Surrey is supposed to boast Superfast.
In reality Openreach say the cabinet is enabled but you have to ask your ISP to be told if you can get it - although the BT Wholesale site is much more specific.

In practice we have substandard cables mixed up with some that are tolerably good.
This results in some spurs running VDSL at under 5 Mbps where others with oversize conductors at the same length are around 20 Mbps, but then turn a corner with speeds crashing down to under 5 yet again.
However we still have around 60 scattered all over the patch with no VDSL at all as well as quite a bit of aluminium direct-buried too.
I suspect you can beat us in the "mankiness races" though because we don't have vast underpopulated fells to cope with.!

Heaven forbid that FTTRemote Node is proposed unless you're calling in NATO to help with the installations !!!!

Oh what tangled (twisted) webs we weave !!!!

Kind regards,
Walter

The Superfast Surrey project contract awarded to BT in 2012 is approaching the end of the delivery phase, and Surrey County Council (SCC) has decided that in order to fully understand the extent of the remaining challenge, and how best to focus any remaining funding, the council would embark on a further Open Market Review (OMR).

As part of this process SCC is looking to make contact with existing broadband network providers within our geographical area.

We are seeking to capture an updated view of suppliers’ commercial coverage with a view to defining the legal baseline of a potential new intervention. The areas where public funds can legally be deployed (the ‘Intervention Area’) are defined under European Commission state aid rules.

A copy of the letter which has now been issued to the appropriate broadband network providers can be seen here.

Interested parties please note that this activity is a pre cursor to the Public Consultation due to take place in the Autumn which will give Surrey residents and businesses the opportunity to comment on the proposed Intervention Area.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:10:03 AM by waltergmw »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 12:04:38 AM »

The ASA havent told openreach to remove info, they have simply said any dates must have some meaning to them other than been a computer automated generated date.

So e.g. openreach can still say "your postcode is currently within our plans for rollout but at this time we cannot give you a date for when this will happen".

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:32 AM »

@ Chrysalis,

Indeed that's what Openreach do with their PA - Planned Area and EA - Enabled Area and CS - Coming soon status. The problem being at least in rural Lancashire that many of those cabinets have now been demoted to UR - Under Review and even ES - Exploring Solutions. However I suspect the complaint was based around the BT Wholesale date estimates which sadly resemble a mirage.

Kind regards,
Walter

anything