Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ADSL speed problem  (Read 10302 times)

ben_moore34

ADSL speed problem
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »

Hello there

I'm on ADSL Max which has provided me with quite a good 2mb ish service for the past couple of years. It has dropped a little from time to time but has always remained on average about 2mb.
Last week my speed was appalling, I was getting about 12 k download (my upload speed seemed unaffected).

Today's stats

DSL Status:   Up     
      DSL Modulation Mode:   GDMT     
      DSL Path Mode:   INTERLEAVED     
      Downstream Rate:   576 Kbps     
      Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps     
      Downstream Margin:   13 db     
      Upstream Margin:   19 db     
      Downstream Line Attenuation:   48     
      Upstream Line Attenuation:   30     
      Downstream Transmit Power:   0     
      Upstream Transmit Power:   0

Speed test result

Download Speed: 219 kbps (27.4 KB/sec )    Upload Speed: 372 kbps (46.5 KB/sec )

My ISP told me to try a number of things

- connect via master socket
- try my USB voyager modem
- re-boot router & leave off for 30 mins & try again

What seems to happen is that if I re-boot my router it'll sync at say 2800kbps ish and then slowly drop down within an hour or so back to 576kbps in steps.

My ISP have apparently contacted BT and there's no line fault, they claim that my line is in a training period and should re-gain it's original speed soon if I leaver my router on and connected. It's been about 5 days since I last contacted my ISP, nothing has changed yet.

Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

Thnaks

Ben

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: ADSL speed problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »

Your stats look ok but it looks as if you've bee throttled back, this would have been by some acute adverse events, fall off in snr or loss of sync 10+ times wthin an hour.

From what your ISP said it looks as if the dsl is being monitored in case the problem was a 1off so throttling can be removed. If the problem lurks it's ugly head in the mean time then the throttling will remain. Then it's a case of typical diagnostics with your internal wiring.

When they said the line tests ok, that's the standard line test by BT wholesale based on pstn/normal telephony (any conditions found on the line here would typicaly affect your broadband) then on top of this you've got the black art of diagnosing problems specific to dsl. Although I sometime feel some ISP's rely on this result to say, lines ok so not our problem bye!

ben_moore34

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »

Hello

Thanks for the response.
I guess all I can do is sit back and wait then until the throttling get's lifted. My internal wiring shouldn't be much of a problem as there is only the one phone socket in the entire house which was fitted a couple of years ago.
Would you suggest re-booting the router a few more times or would this re-set the diagnosis procedure?

Cheers

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »

You could perhaps try a BTw performance test to see what your profile is set at.

Be warned the test gets very busy in the evenings though and is sometimes hard to access the checker when it does.

>> Downstream Margin:   13 db

You could perhaps try since you do have a bit of spare SNRM, but as the evening progresses your SNRM will likely fall a bit which may make the line drop again.   Without knowing your SNRM variance its hard to say.

I wouldnt recommend rebooting the router too often - as this can sometimes fool the DLM into thinking that your line has dropped due to other reasons. :/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ben_moore34

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »

Hello, thanks for the advice

Have done a BT test this morning

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1120 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 426 kbps

I re-booted my router too

Downstream Rate:   1120 Kbps     
      Downstream Margin:   12 db     
      Upstream Margin:   20 db     
      Downstream Line Attenuation:   49     

I've tried downloading stuff from a number of sources and can dowload at about 6 - 8 k which is still pretty bad.
Strange that my upload speed seems unaffected.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »

Is it stuff from websites or stuff from P2P which you are trying to download and getting these low speeds?

Are websites and e-mails loading up as slowly?

Your speed test shows a good result at 426kbps with your 500K profile.

Your poor speeds might be a result of congestion on the ISPS network or traffic shaping depending on the type of content and the ISP in question.

The BT speedtest result of 426kbps is a download rate of around 53Kb/sec which shows that whilst your presently on a 500K profile, your not having any severe speed problems caused by the line itself.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:35:24 PM by soms »

ben_moore34

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »

I tried a few different files from about 10 websites, drivers, utilities etc all came down at about 7k
Just done a speed test on my ISP's speed tester

Download Speed: 60 kbps (7.5 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 289 kbps (36.1 KB/sec )

My router seems to have held the same connection for now which I guess is a good sign

Downstream Margin:   12 db     

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 01:37:21 PM »

Unfortunately that ISP speedtest seems to suggest the problem is with their network somewhere, especially since it is consistent across all the content you have accessed. Best start moaning to them and see what they say about it.

Hopefully if your line stays stable you will see the IP profile rise over time and maybe given a few weeks the sync rate/target SNR balance will adjust itself.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »

If you can manage a stable connection at 1120, your IP profile should soon increase up to 750 kbps.
Your ISP's data rate should also rise in line with that too - although there may be a time lapse depending on the ISP and how often/soon they update once they have received the delta report from BT.

However - this is still much lower than the previous 2Mb which you say you used to have...  and quite a bit lower than I would expect for a 49dB line. 
The previous 512kb sync makes me suspect that theres more to this than meets the eye.
Youre now syncing at 1120 and theres not that much spare SNRM

I havent heard any problems recently with Namesco and afaik their network isnt suffering any major problems.. although they do have a couple of small centrals which could soon become congested compared to their 622Mb pipes. Even so I wouldnt expect 60 Kbps at this time of day.  Although its very weird that the BTw speedtest is giving you the right speeds for your profile.   ****

>> My ISP have apparently contacted BT and there's no line fault, they claim that my line is in a training period

Have they only just moved you over to DSLMax?
I take it you are now connected direct into the master socket?   What happens if you try the test socket?
Can you also try a "Quiet line test" (Dial 17070 and select option 2).

*** D'oh just remembered
- You know I said Namesco/NDO  have some small centrals - these are the old type centrals and non-L2TP. If you are on one of those centrals, this could explain why you get better speeds on the btw performance test than when you perform a speedtest anywhere else.
If you'd like to post the results of a tracert then I can confirm if this is the case or not, since the non L2TP centrals will show some evidence of the BTw routing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

ben_moore34

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »

Hello again

Many thanks for all the replies so far.

Something has changed, I can now download at about 60k which is a definate improvement.

My ISP speed test  Last Result:
Download Speed: 468 kbps (58.5 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 380 kbps (47.5 KB/sec )

My router seems to be maintaining the same connection which is good

Downstream Margin:   11 db     

When I mentioned that I was connected to the master socket I meant the one that's behind the faceplate, there's only one socket in the house.
I just hope that things start improving soon. Do you reckon another router re-boot would be in order or just leave things be for a while?

I've been on the NDO/Namesco brodabandMAX service for about 2 years now and the speed has always been about 2 - 2.5 mb.
I'll be letting the ISP support know what's happened so far.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »

>> Something has changed, I can now download at about 60k which is a definate improvement

I suspect that you had a very low sync which took your IPprofile and speed right down.
Its possible that when you did the BTw speedtest that your IPprofile had quite recently changed to the 500 kbps profile..  and your ISP hadnt had chance yet to change things on their side.

AFAIK theres a delta report thats sent to the ISPs twice daily which will advise them of what your IPprofile is so they can adjust their side of things accordingly. It entirely depends on how often your ISP update their records and how automated their process is before their end will also let you get the increase.
With some ISPs I believe there can be a delay of up to a day.  So say for eg if your IP profile rose last night on the BTw systems, your ISP may not have had chance to do anything about it till this afternoon.

>> I've been on the NDO/Namesco brodabandMAX service for about 2 years now and the speed has always been about 2 - 2.5 mb.

hmmm... what confused me is the fact they stated "line is in a training period ".   Wonder why they said that?

As to the reboot - your SNRM is now slightly lower than earlier... and it will start to drop in the evenings..  I think it may be best to perhaps leave things today at least whilst you know have some decentish speeds.

Which router do you use?
You may be able to get routerstats to work with it... if so that will plot your SNRM for you so you can see whats going on on your line.  Routerstats is non-intrusive and wont affect whatever is going on.
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
-----

ben_moore34

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »

Thanks Kitz

My router is a Linksys WAG354G.

I might try that program later & see what happens

Here is what support told me on Thursday

According to the BT service you line is still in the midst or training back up a to correct connection speed. From their system is appears that the speed is gradually resetting to its correct speed. There is no fault on the BT line connecting to your premises.

I'll leave everything on for now and see how it goes.

Incidentaly, when re-booting the router is it best to do a hard/soft reboot from within the router software  or just power it down? Does it matter if the ADSL cable is removed from the phone socket too?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »

>> or training back up a to correct connection speed

Thanks for that - when in that context... it does imply that you have had some bad sync speeds which have affected your IPprofile... and the DLM process required a period of stability at the higher sync speed before it will increase the profile.

>> when re-booting the router is it best to do a hard/soft reboot from within the router software 

Depends on the router,
In some routers when you ask for it to reconnect.. it only re-establishes what is known as a PPP session..  ie with your ISP and it doesnt actually disconnect you from the exchange and force a resync.  Whilst other routers will allow you to do a resync from the control panel.

Since I dont have a WAG354G I'm afraid I dont know which or what it does..  you should be able to tell which your router is doing by looking at the green dsl light.  Another guide (and it is only a guide) is that re-establishing a PPP session with your ISP should be pretty quick - whilst a resync can take a minute or more.

If you can do a software reboot then this is always best.. since if done via the router this will send a "last gasp" signal to the exchange which tells the DLM that the router is powering down.
Simply removing the adsl cable is the worst way - no dying gasp message is sent and the DLM interprets this as possible loss of signal through other means.
-----

ben_moore34

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »

Great, thank you very much for the information, it's all been very helpful indeed.
I'll leave my router as it is for the time being and maybe do a software re-boot at some time to try & get the sync speed higher.
I can now see how frustrating all this can be with so many factors at play and areas which could be producing the fault.

Anyway, cheers for all the help, I'll keep you posted with whatever happens.

Ben

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »

yw....

and please do keep us updated :)
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything