Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Virtual Box  (Read 8824 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Virtual Box
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:13:13 PM »

I decided I'd have a go at installing Windows 10 Preview following the workshop in Computeractive, which advised to install Virtual Box at www.snipca.com.15343.  But even though I meticulously followed the instructions as published there wasn't an option form the drop down menu for win 8.1 64 bit.

I see some are trying win 10 and wonder if anyone else had this problem?

Regards,

Peter Perplexed   :no:

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Virtual Box
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »

Just use win 8.1....should be fine

Ian

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »

thanks Kitz, I'll try again tomorrow.

Peter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »

What is good in Win 10, in the real o/s? - not the shell, the UI, chocolate sauce and so on

Has the obnoxiousness of W8.x been banished? God I hated Win8 sooo much I simply stopped using Windows boxes for a few years, and spend absolutely all my time on an iPad instead now, which is horribly unfriendly and deeply crippled, but doesn't offend me like Win8 did, disfiguring and mangling a well-loved long time friend.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

There's nothing wrong with Windows 8 apart from the Metro interface, which is easily disposed of by Classic Shell - in fact Windows 8.1 is a fairly significant improvement on Windows 7 in both security & performance.

Windows 10 has interfaces for touch screen and keyboard/mouse so in theory (along with Windows Runtime/UWP) you should be able to write your app and let Windows take care of how its presented to the user based on the device they're using/their preferences. You can of course choose not to write the app for UWP and optimise it for a single device (eg a desktop PC).

There's some nice additional features in the enterprise (and education) versions - the ones that spring to mind are policy control for auto-encryption of selected data/blocking apps from accessing encrypted data & a lockdown mode (MS call it Device Guard IIRC) which requires every piece of code to be digitally signed by MS or a vendor you choose to trust. If its not signed then it can't run - Device Guard is run inside a hypervisor so the core OS in theory is isolated. It ought to be an absolute godsend for small/medium businesses as it'll stop pretty much all malware (even zero-day stuff).

Win 10 automatically compresses system files - again you have to remember that Win 10 is meant to run on anything from embedded devices (internet of things lunacy) to workstations - which is OK as long as you don't have a SSD as the boot device. One has to assume that MS aren't stupid here as compressing system files would be pointless* in that case so I assume its mainly for hand-held flash-based devices.

There's a lot of Xbox integration which I couldn't care less about. DX12 - meh.

tl;dr not a lot in there for consumers, probably worth the free upgrade from Windows 7 just for the Windows 8 kernel/security improvements, but as always wait for the first service pack.

*Warning - this gets technical & rambles on :D Most (all?) current SSDs compress data before they write it, the reason being that it minimises the number of cells written to which enhances performance and increases the working life of the drive. However when you present the SSD with incompressible data (encrypted/already compressed) then the write performance is nowhere near as good.
For example I always encrypt SSDs using AES256 (h/w accelerated in newer cpus) and instead of the manufacturers figures I'll typically get about 40% of the write speed & 30% of the write IOPS. The bottleneck is not the cpu in the machine (that can encrypt 23GB/s), its the physical time it takes to write incompressible data to the extra cells in the SSD.
Why do I do it? Simply because unless you physically destroy the chips inside a SSD (not recommended -seriously don't do it) you cannot be sure the data has been destroyed. Overwrite an encrypted volume a few times, delete it & that's as close as you're going to get IMHO. You can choose to trust the drive manufacturer's "secure erase" function if you wish. I don't :)

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »

Amusingly at much the same time I made the last post, El Reg has a guide to Windows 10 for Win7/8 users :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/07/windows_10_for_windows_8_and_7_users/

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 01:30:14 PM »

rizla you tried a samsung or Intel ssd? those ssd's should have great uncompressed performance.

Also what are you using to encrypt on the ssd?  I am curious.  samsung magician says my ssd supports encryption.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:02:38 AM by Chrysalis »

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:52:32 PM »

I use Bestcrypt (www.jetico.com) and have done for maybe 15 years over a variety of platforms - bloody hell time flies.

Not cheap by any means, does what it says on the tin & despite recent deals with scum like Lockheed Martin I still think they're genuinely one of the "good guys". Schneier et al seem to agree. Source code and encryption algorithm codes are available to download & inspect.

Intel have a document somewhere for their SSDs which basically says what I said above - incompressible data takes roughly that hit, maybe a tad lower on IOPS.

Your SSD probably does do encryption but again its that chain of trust - I know I don't trust Samsung for example. I don't really trust Intel either but I'm more confident that potential dodgy stuff in their accelerated AES256 instruction set has had a lot of very clever people prod at it to see if it breaks & so far it doesn't.

We may find out in another 10 years that (like the elliptic curve algorithms NSA got into early-doors) AES256 is inherently vulnerable to <insert code here> but I'm pretty confident that it provides a decent method of wiping SSDs without relying on the maufacturers tools. Of course there is no way of telling (short of fitting a JTAG header & having the key) as to what is contained in the signed firmware partition for those of us who wonder why we didn't get thicker tinfoil ;)

In terms of securing (largely static) data then AES256 wouldn't be my first choice & we're probably way way OT for further discussion.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:10 AM »

I still haven't received the App for Windows 10 up grade to my Windows 8.1 i tried to find more info on the windows site and it seem Windows 8.1 'Enterprise version' will not get the up grade, how can I find out if mine is an Enterprise version and what is this anyway?

Peter

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »

The free upgrades won't start until after 29 July.

I wouldn't expect enterprise versions of Windows to be upgraded FoC as they are subject to volume licensing anyway. If your machine isn't supplied by your work then its not going to be an enterprise version as MS don't deal with consumers re volume licensing.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

Thanks Rizla, mine not a work's machine to maybe I'll have to be patient.
My wife got the app on her Win 7 laptop weeks ago and is signed up to receive the update.

I'm sure I saw in ComputerActive a link to register my email address some weeks ago, but I'm damned if I can find it!  :(

Thanks again,

Peter

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »

Oh you mean the little "get Win 10" icon that appears on the taskbar in Win7 (or Win8 with Classic Shell)?

If so then I have no idea how that is displayed on the Metro (tiles) desktop.

I think you only get the icon if you have the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" selected in Windows Update settings.

It annoyed me sufficiently that I renamed the GWX directory & prevented MS from putting it back on the taskbar :D

Personally I have no intention of upgrading any of the machines here to Win 10 before there's a service pack.....

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »

Personally I have no intention of upgrading any of the machines here to Win 10 before there's a service pack.....

Rizla there won't be service packs on Win10 it will just come in as accumulative updates to OS gone are the days for one large download of SPK don't know if that's good or bad thing but probably bad if your installing 30 stand alone PC's in a large office and needing a reboot after updates.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »

there will be service packs but under a different name.

A service pack is all the hotfixes bundled in, so it might be e.g. on windows 10 update 1.

windows update only gives a small % of the patches, the remainder are distributed via hotfixes, over time hotfixes accumulate to 100s if not 1000s, and service packs consolidate them all in one update.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »

30 stand alone PC's in a large office

The volume licensing (Windows 10 Enterprise) version of windows updates will be different; with a windows update branch called "Current Branch for Business" and another called  "Long-Term Servicing Branch".
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-outlines-enterprise-upgrade-path-for-windows-10-1282974

One benefit of this LTSB (not LLoyds tsb) is the default browser is IE not the new edge browser.
Pages: [1] 2

anything