Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Job vacancies  (Read 1857 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Job vacancies
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »

A partial cut & paste from a message sent to BTo employees by our CEO Joe Garner.

As you know, last year we recruited 2,500 people across Openreach, which has helped reduce our use of contractors – particularly in Service Delivery. I am delighted to announce that we now plan to recruit a further 800 people this year. That’s around 510 engineers, plus 240 apprentices and 50 graduates.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Job vacancies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »

I await the day when the latest announcement is that usage of contractors has become a thing of the past.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »

Please don't begin holding ones breath, Mr Cat  ;D

The question of Contractors used to rear its head quite regularly within BTo, but as was stated by one of our higher-tier managers (Haven't a clue who he was), at last years 'Roadshow' events .......... we will always need to retain the use of Contractors to help fire-fight in times of high fault volumes / installation tasks ........... the benefit to the company being that they are only used as and when required.

There's arguments for and against, I know as I've debated it to death over the years. But, I don't wish to detract from the fact that BTo are looking at recruiting up to 800 new souls this year. That I think, is great news.
We've a lot of folk on here who are still young enough to carve out a career in BT.

Instead of wondering how a large conglomerate operates, second-guessing what processes are in place, listening to all the 'BT are monsters' rumours ........ get yourself an interview for a job that has incredibly good terms and conditions, provides all tools, clothing, training (I know  ;D), almost unlimited 'Overtime' opportunities ...... and a whole host of other things that I could mention. Instead of slating BT without knowing what really goes on behind the scenes, now is your opportunity to try and get a foothold into the company and see exactly how it works, the enormity of it all.

NB .... obviously the above is not aimed at your goodself, Mr Cat. You should be employed as 'Chief Engineer'  ;) ;D. It's aimed at members who may want to take up this fantastic opportunity. 

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »

I bet there's a fair few of us who would be very frustrated by the occasions when they had to move on to the next job because not enough time was allowed to do the job properly!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »

I am delighted to announce that we now plan to recruit a further 800 people this year. That’s around 510 engineers, plus 240 apprentices and 50 graduates.

Excellent news.   
BT are one of the few organisations these days that offer our young people the opportunity of a proper apprenticeship and prospect of a trade at the end of it.

I shall take my moan about the lack of proper jobs and apprenticeships these days,  and abuse of young people as cheap labour without any security elsewhere.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »

I think there are actually quite a few Kitz, they just don't get much coverage! Things are certainly improving in this regard. A good example:
http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/summary/bae-systems-recruit-record-number-apprentices/

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)