Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BTo CEO message  (Read 3199 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BTo CEO message
« on: April 24, 2015, 04:51:58 PM »

A message to us from our CEO, Joe Garner. He says this will be fed to the media as well.

As you know, we are working to improve customer service, and this last 9 months has seen the first year of the new Ofcom minimum service levels. These relate to provision and repair of copper products. This week, we are announcing publically that we have beaten all 60 of the new Ofcom minimum service levels – and by quite a margin. We delivered a big year on year improvement, and while there is much more to do, I would really like to thank you for contributing to this improvement.

We now have more than a full year’s service data on our website. The time taken to repair faults and complete installations is shrinking and I’m proud to share a few other highlights of the last year:

• We fixed faults on average 7.7 hours faster
• We reduced the average national copper provision time from over 9 days this time last year to 6 days as of last week
• We reduced the average lead time for an installation appointment from 11 to 7 days

Of course, we still have much more to do, and we also have issues to fix. For example, we know we have more to do on New Sites. That’s why I am also announcing that this year we will increase our investment in New Sites by an additional £50 million. This means we will have doubled our investment over the last two years.

The other major issue that we need to address is to improve our throughput on Ethernet. This is next on the list and a very high priority for us. We have a programme in place to fix the fundamentals and to set us up for success in the future. I would also like to thank those who have been working so hard on Ethernet over this last year.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BTo CEO message
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:16 PM »

Thank you for posting the message for our consumption.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:27 PM »

Thank you BS :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:55:09 AM »

I think they must have forgotten to include my provision in these figures  :police: Just over 100 days, IIRC:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14908.0.html

If they counted it as one order, rather than 4 cancellations (possibly 5 or 6) followed by 1 success (that worked within its individual timescale), I think the averages would be much worse  :-X

Actually, they probably count it as 2 successful provisions, as we gave up waiting for FTTC, and reverted to a temporary ADSL connection in the middle  :no:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:45 AM »

That's the thing W3 ..... on forums like these you never (or very rarely), get anyone posting how flawless and brilliant the service they received was. That's because it's expected, and for the very most part .... a given. So, there's never a rush to log-on to a forum and tell everyone how boring the installation/repair was.

There will always be exceptions to the rule, such as your debacle, and that's when individuals rightly feel the need to tell all and sundry, in the hope of help or advice.

As our slowly but steadily increasing share price will testify, BT must be getting something right ......... especially with the set of figures above, from our CEO ?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »

I agree BS, the sets of figures do indeed show something promising happening - and I'm absolutely sure it all works out to have some bearing with the number of people that have been added into the workforce recently.

But there is always a niggle about those statistics, and they bear back to a point your CEO made on his start of the job - that some of the end-users have an absolutely terrible experience: "there is a possibility of leaving the customer in some real distress" - and he wants to fix the way the end-user ultimately interacts with Openreach. It seems that hitting statistical targets isn't enough to give customers a good experience. Perhaps the statistics being measured aren't actually appropriate for the customer? The end-user customer, that is.

Doing well "by the statistics" is, unfortunately, a particular bug-bear of mine...

A year ago (long before I actually had my provisioning problems), I watched the Ofcom consultation on the fixed-access quality of service issues, particularly with regard to what they called "the tail" of deliveries that have gone beyond SLA. Ofcom wanted to make sure these late deliveries weren't de-prioritised as a manner of "gaming" the system.

Their solution was to add another set of statistical KPIs to measure the backlog ... see section 3.126 of this PDF ... a solution I felt was instantly vulnerable to gaming, by the "inadvertant" cancellation of orders that weren't to their liking, or killing off faults as "not a fault" too readily. A cancelled order is no longer beyond the SLA...

I tend to believe that, with these delayed issues, the problem (from the customer perspective) stops being so much about the amount of time the issue takes, and starts to become about the number of times the issue has gone back-and-forth; for example, the number of engineer appointments an issue has taken, or the number of times calls must be placed back through an ISP support desk. Every new contact requires re-explanation of the issue, raising frustration levels. Every time an appointment goes wrong, the user has to play chinese whispers with the ISP - usually involving members of staff who have never heard of the issue or you. A lack of continuity becomes a big part of the problem - exacerbated by the Openreach insistence on staying uninvolved with the end-user.

Those customers "in real distress" are there, not just because of the delay, but because of the number of poor-quality interactions they are forced to have during that period.

I always felt that the best solution was to add a target that required Openreach to minimise the number of appointments needed. Perhaps something to recognise that customers use up precious resources (days on holiday from work) to wait in for an engineer.

Sad, then, that I created such an excellent case-study here - demonstrating that the order system itself isn't a fit point to be measuring statistics from - for at least the tail - and demonstrating how the poor-quality interactions build that ultimate frustration.

It's great that, in the "big picture", things are working out well. But from Joe's comments when he started, I'm expecting him to pay attention to the little picture too - the people for whom the "big picture" statistics aren't working. I'd love to see him cover that aspect in his announcements too.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »

A cynical person like myself might think that BT may just have worked out that minimum service levels were coming & decided it'd be best if Ofcom chose to deliberate while standards were substantially lower than normal ;)

I still think Openreach would do much much better as an independent entity - completely spun-off from BT. I think it'd be hugely profitable but where would that leave BT Retail/Plusnet/Wholesale & their football TV plans?

I am very encouraged that somebody has finally realised that the performance for "New Sites" has been utterly absymal for a decade now. Beggars belief too - I know builders in FTTP areas who are being told that they have to provide copper cables to the pavement with NO provison for fibre. These people WANT to put in the fibre at build time but are being told it'll never be used - reason? Nobody from Openreach is available to test the pavement<->internal NTE fibre connection at build-time. Strange that they are for copper & have a (newly increased) fibre install charge to end-users mmmmm?

Pleased to see Openreach is getting better, still not pleased that its part of BT. A seperate Openreach would be better for everyone apart from BT.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »

Gentlefolk,

It is indeed good news that these matters are being actively monitored.
It would be better news if seriously proactive methodologies were being engineered.

E.g. I had cause to "report" a no dial-tone fault using the BT.com/faults web page last Friday evening for the Albury Cricket club without my wheelbarrow. By great good fortune I had my iPad and the mobile mast is just across the road. I entered the details and, only through experience, did I know that the fault was recognised with a fault number provided immediately; even though I was only told that further tests were being conducted.

I looked on-line at the fault on Saturday morning where I learn that BT Openreach estimate a repair date 6 days after the fault is reported BUT I AM UNABLE TO BOOK A REPAIR SLOT as BT have failed to examine the faults log. I try again on Sunday evening to find nothing has been done so far. However I was fortunate that the auto survey was triggered so I replied:-

I reported a phone fault by testing the line. You failed to say you too could not detect a dial tone. You have left us without any means to book the inevitable appointment necessary to cure the fault and you select SIX DAYS as the repair estimate date. EVERY PAGE of the fault reporting system REQUIRES a response mechanism just as your subsidiary PlusNet does AND they provide an upload mechanism to provide files illustrating what the problem is. (Signed with my e-mail address)

I know this won't actually help with my problem as the entries are processed by a survey firm. I don't suppose for one moment that I'll even get an acknowledgement.

Kind regards,
Walter

PS Plusnet are far from perfect but the trick is to record what you require on a fault ticket. THEN you ring them up listening to hideous "Musak" for a minimum of 20 minutes to make them open your ticket immediately. If you don't do that it's usually 3 days before they respond and a further 2 / 3 days wait every time you add more data.

PPS Guess who is the chief catering officer !!!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:30:31 PM by waltergmw »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »

Thank you for keeping us informed BS.
Much appreciated! :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »

.....PPS Guess who is the chief catering officer !!!!!
How do you keep the steaks and burgers on the grill? Does the wheel barrow carry special adhesive? >:D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:17:36 PM »

.....PPS Guess who is the chief catering officer !!!!!
How do you keep the steaks and burgers on the grill? Does the wheel barrow carry special adhesive? >:D ;D

Having reversed the polarity of the neutron flow, an appropriate toggle switch on the wheelbarrow is then set to "invert" and an anti-gravity force-field occurs in a three yard radius of the same w*barrow!  :P  :graduate:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:32:59 PM »

Thank you gentlemen for your ideas !!!!

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:29 PM »

Re my fault logged last Friday, nothing has moved so I resorted to Twitter and just look what happened for my pains !

@BTCare Re VOL012-105073197174 NO DIAL TONE reported last Fri. Pse book soonest appt Tues 28 a.m. or Wed 29 p.m or Thurs all day or Fri a.m.

Ex BT  Hi there. I can't find your contact on Friday. Can you report your fault here bit.ly/1j5nj1B  (I.e BT.com/faults - which is where I started.)

@BTCare VOL012-105073197174 Reported LAST FRI but nothing has changed and STILL NO DIAL TONE. That’s why I’d like you to expedite.

Ex BTCare We aim to have your fault repaired by the end of the working day on 30th.

@BTCare So you’ve postponed estimated date but still haven’t given us an appmnt ? Yet AAISP today got me an appmnt in Cranleigh tomorrow?

MUCH MUTTERING FROM Walter & his wheelbarrow !!!

So we will not have working broadband for the second week at the busiest time of the year as all the junior cricket trainees are being registered but not recorded on line.

It's a good job I have a Huawei HB5A2H mobile signal to WiFi device.

Kind regards,
Walter