Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: PPP drops. SNRM dips but HG612 keeps sync?!  (Read 17511 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: PPP drops. SNRM dips but HG612 keeps sync?!
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »

Eagerly awaiting the Edgerouter Lite to play with.

That is a device for which I would appreciate updates on your experiences.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

splbound

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »

Not sure what happened after 4:21am on the 9/06/15 but my line has not dropped sync!

Currently sitting on 53.8hrs of uptime so it's the best it has been for a month.
ES errors significantly lower for the past 48 hours with SNRM DB much more stable.

Either something was fixed or more likely the disturber has been away for the last few days.

My Zen support ticket is still open and will probably try and keep it open for a week in case it comes back.

Unfortunately a breakdown in communication  had Zen book an Engineer for me yesterday without any notice to me.
Only found out after Zen support called me up to confirm that they had not notified me of the visit. My apologies to the engineer, if I had known they booked on I would have been there.

splbound

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

That is a device for which I would appreciate updates on your experiences.  :)

The Edgerouter Lite (ERL) on Monday. I have been running it since 4:00pm on the 9/06/15. Had to get my head around the config but managed to get it working to my satisfaction. Definitely not for people who don't want their hands dirty in config files. Draytek and Billion make config so much easier with their Web UI's. I am currently running the 1.7 rc1 firmware.

Playing around with fq_codel on the pppoe connection running to reduce buffer bloat. My connection feels much snappier and can max my download without it slowing down browsing or other internet activity. Will see how well it does with my Voip traffic but so far it has been great. I do lose about 5-6 mbit on the download throughput but so far it has been worth it. DSLReports speedtest (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest) gets me about 52Mbps down and 15.5Up with A+ Bloat score. Hardware acceleration does not run for packets that pass through the fq_codel queue (all of my net traffic) but so far the edgerouter has no issue keeping up with my raw connection speed (56Mbps  down + 15.5Mbps up).

I have a L2TP IPSEC vpn server set up on it as well. Decent throughput 15.5Mbps up and down. Unfortunately this too isn't hardware accelerated so not sure how fast it can go but enough for my needs. Only IPSEC Vpn connections are currently accelerated. Correction... as it is L2TP over Ipsec it is hw accelerated for the encryption and decryption parts. It also supports openssl vpn's (not h/w accelerated) but have not had the chance to try it yet.

Also using the extra port to run a guest subnet on my network. Am using a spare little N access point on it to supply net access to visitors blocking any access to my home network. Have since acquired a Ubiquiti UAP handling my 2.4 N wifi spectrum and a spare AC66U in AP mode for the 5Ghz AC and N Wifi spectrum.

One thing I couldn't get working is the Hairpin port forwarding on SSL 443. Still looking into it but no real issue as it's only a nice to have for me so I just keep it disabled.

I'm sure I'm only using so very little of this Router but so far it seems solid. Can only get better as the improve the firmware.

Draytek 2925 is sitting idle at the moment while I test out this edgerouter some more.

So far the ERL has been excellent value for £65 I paid for it and absolutely satisfies the tinkerer in me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:49:22 PM by splbound »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

Thank you for that update. It certainly reads as an impressive device for the price paid.

That said, its features are way over the top for what is required at The Cattery;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

splbound

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »

Oh well spoke too soon. Disturber returned at around 12:00pm then stopped at 4:00pm. Started again at 8:00pm so yeah fun times for me again.  >:( The ES logging on MDWS clearly show it.

Definitely nothing in my residence is causing it. Bastards!

splbound

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »

Update.

Zen support called me 16/06/2015 to say that BT/Openreach has re-routed my circuit. Whatever that means...
Was told to power down the modem for at least 5 minutes which was done.

Up to today 19/06/2015 still have the same issues.

Zen Support called me again 19/06/2015 to book an engineers appointment.
Unfortunately due to my circumstances I am not able to be around for a booking for the next two weeks.
Due to this they have to close the current ticket  :no:! They said I will not have to go through all the troubleshooting steps again but I guess we will see...

During this call Support highlighted that most of the disconnections are due to PPP drops and not necessarily due to re-syncs which I concur with.

Because of this Support again recommended that I run a PPPoE connection straight to the PC. WTF (They really want to blame it on the router)!!!! After trying 3 different routers and a PFsense box all with the same outcome I think we can rule out a router issue... so No I will not try the PPPoE direct to PC (PFsense box) option again. This should have already been in my notes Zen support!

I also mentioned to Zen Support that high CRC and ES occur during these disconnection periods and whether they can see these stats as well. To my surprise support mentioned that they do??!! No too sure if this is a straight out lie but somehow I think their systems don't log this kind of stuff for each connection/user and I call a big steaming pile of BS.

So my ticket is now closed until I free up some of my time for an engineer to come. The extra speed isn't worth crap if the connection keeps dropping.

I'll leave this attachment here. Very good up-times until 01/03/2015 then it all steadily goes to crap. I have had the same equipment connected
with it only changing in the past two months doing troubleshooting. Whatever happened, it happened in March.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:18:56 PM by splbound »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »

If ES/CRC spikes during the disconnects then I would say its a sync problem.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »

Apologies if I've missed something but this all still sounds like fluctuating/low margin and probably nothing to do with PPP itself?
Or is there something here which exclusively suggests PPP is the issue?

I'm no expert but this makes sense. Considering the defect status being triggered too, it just sounds like the underlying connection is horrendously unstable? :)
If BTOR have rerouted you, not sure how that works for FTTC. New port on the MSAN?

splbound

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Apologies if I've missed something but this all still sounds like fluctuating/low margin and probably nothing to do with PPP itself?
Or is there something here which exclusively suggests PPP is the issue?

I'm no expert but this makes sense. Considering the defect status being triggered too, it just sounds like the underlying connection is horrendously unstable? :)

I believe the reason Zen are Stuck on it being PPP issue is that Zen are seeing a lot of PPP drops without any corresponding sync drop.

I also don't believe the PPP drops are the cause of the issue but, are a by-product of my bad underlying connection.
I see increases in ES and a very bumpy SNRM db graph during these periods of instability.

Not sure if Zen can see ES data or SNRM db data at all to correlate against and make a more informed decision.

If BTOR have rerouted you, not sure how that works for FTTC. New port on the MSAN?

I actually queried Zen on what was actually re-routed but they could not get any more detail from the notes OpenReach has given them for the job.

One thing I am noticing now is that the temperatures here have increased and it seems to be getting worse. Thinking back, after it has rained it is not so bad. Speculation for now I guess but I'll keep note on the weather as well now.

iMx

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »

Just to add to this, I'm seeing the same symptoms (PPP drop, modem stays in sync) but without the SNRM dips - just recently migrated to Zen, no issues on BT for 2-3 years previous - DSL stats are stable, no spikes/jumps.  I lose connection some between 1-15 minutes with normal traffic going back and forth, modem stays in sync, PPP drops - switch to their router, TG589, all stays up.  Put an HG612, ECI or TG589 in modem/bridge mode...problem reoccurs.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:51:06 AM by iMx »

splbound

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

Now this. Something has happened at the exchange I am on at approx 6:00pm 05/07/2015.
https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/fault-outage-details.aspx?reference=29856

HG612 is syncing fine.
PPP is not connecting. With error "Timeout waiting for PADO packet" in my ppp logs. My router is trying to connect but does not receive any response.

The kicker is the cleared status.
Cleared Reason:   Passed anticipated clear date. WTF but just have to laugh.

Definitely not cleared and missing the FINAL log line for the job from BT saying the service has been restored.
Don't know why Zen's Status page (https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/) has dropped this out of the current faults table?

Internet is down but fingers crossed that whatever failed has finally taken a dump and will be replaced to fix my PPP drouputs. 8hrs down and counting...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »

Are you connected to Zen gateway DSL4 ?

splbound

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »

Are you connected to Zen gateway DSL4 ?

Can't check at the moment. I'm not even getting past PPP connection.
My router sends the PADI request bot does not receive the PADO offer.

When it's back up I'll check the route and let you know.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:34:39 PM by splbound »

splbound

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »

Just to add to this, I'm seeing the same symptoms (PPP drop, modem stays in sync) but without the SNRM dips - just recently migrated to Zen, no issues on BT for 2-3 years previous - DSL stats are stable, no spikes/jumps.  I lose connection some between 1-15 minutes with normal traffic going back and forth, modem stays in sync, PPP drops - switch to their router, TG589, all stays up.  Put an HG612, ECI or TG589 in modem/bridge mode...problem reoccurs.

Thanks iMx, I saw your post and am following it. I have a mixture of both but most of my PPP drops are accompanied by ES errors. Lately I have been getting more ppp drops due to resyncs but will keep an eye on your thread.

A few others are having the same problem as well so once my connection comes back online I'll see if I am routed through DSL4.

splbound

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »

Yikes, Just received a BT update on the Beckenham exchange from Zen.

"Criminal Damage in the manhole. 144 Fibre cables feeding our cabinets have been cut.
Engineers have advised that 700 meters of 144 cable needs to be pulled in and spliced, Cable gang are on site to recover old cable and blow in new cable."

Looks like I'll be out for a while  :(.

So... cable cut only and I will probably still have the same connection issues when it's back up. I was hoping it was some hardware at the exchange that took a dump.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything