Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 250m from cab but syncing at 65Mbit  (Read 8836 times)

jeffers

Re: 250m from cab but syncing at 65Mbit
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 06:36:39 PM »

Yes, a HR would manifest itself on the router as a higher-than-usual attenuation. Experience shows me that a HR will fluctuate, and as such your attenuation should ??

No, the circuit will probably not be reset if it's a voice fault ...... not unless the attending engineer is also broadband savvy and performs one as a matter of course ?? It is not in the remit of a voice fault to perform a reset.

:)

Actually no, my attenuation seems pretty stable, at least according to my HG612. It may move by about 0.1db occasionally but its pretty minimal. I'm gonna ping Plusnet and see if they have the engineers notes yet and push for them to get BTO to reset the profile once the HR fault has been sorted.

Jeff

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 06:48:22 PM »

The HR must be pretty miniscule, if at all there ??? Your post states that the engineer who has already visited said there was another "Possible HR". This could indicate that the TDR function we use to identify HR's, has actually shown a cable joint where the poundage (size) of the two cables changes from, for example, 0.4 Ali to 0.5 Cu ??

Of course I've no idea what the engineer on-site has seen, so have to trust in his experience.  :)

jeffers

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »

He didnt give much detail to be honest, he said they fixed one potential problem on the pole but the quiet line test and his kit was still showing another issue which he said need to be dealt with by the UG team. There were a few guys here and they seemed to know what they were doing, just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

No dropouts since they left, which is already an improvement.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 09:05:58 PM »

To have a synchronisation speed of ~65 Mbps at 360 metres from the cabinet is approximately what I would expect to obtain -- depending upon the condition of the cabling, the joints and the what-not.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything