Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EE Brightbox 2  (Read 20315 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
EE Brightbox 2
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:09:32 PM »

Have just taken the plunge and joined EE as the telephone & broadband supplier but haven't a clue about the brightbox 2 and if it will be any use with infinity 1 ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: EE Brightbox 2
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »

As far as I am aware, EE is in the process of being purchased by Beattie:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »

haven't a clue about the brightbox 2 and if it will be any use with infinity 1 ?

Not sure if it will work with BT Infinity if thats what you mean, as I dont know if its locked to EE.

I do know though that it contains the same chipset as the Zyxel VMG8324 & Billion 8800NL.   I also believe its made by Arcadyan which are the manufacturers behind the Homehub 5B.

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/BCM_routers
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »

As far as I am aware, EE is in the process of being purchased by Beattie:-\

for goodness sake B*Cat i was trying to move away from BT ISP and you throw this grenade at me :o

haven't a clue about the brightbox 2 and if it will be any use with infinity 1 ?

Not sure if it will work with BT Infinity if thats what you mean, as I dont know if its locked to EE.

I do know though that it contains the same chipset as the Zyxel VMG8324 & Billion 8800NL.   I also believe its made by Arcadyan which are the manufacturers behind the Homehub 5B.

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/BCM_routers

What i meen is i'll be moveing from BT to EE and still be using the 40/10 FTTC service but with unlimited instead of 40GB monthly allowance and with a Brightbox 2.

Thanks Kitz for the chipset info that's good news cheers.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:02 PM »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

Since the BrightBox 2 Modem/router IP address conflicts with same IP address as the HG612 192.168.1.1 i'll have to change the BrightBox 2 Modem/Router IP address to something other i like 192.168.1.254 is that correct ?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »

Since the BrightBox 2 Modem/router IP address conflicts with same IP address as the HG612 192.168.1.1 i'll have to change the BrightBox 2 Modem/Router IP address to something other i like 192.168.1.254 is that correct ?

you can change the address on either device, so long as its in the same subnet (and ideally not in the dhcp pool).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:48 PM »

you can change the address on either device, so long as its in the same subnet (and ideally not in the dhcp pool).

what decides the dhcp pool if i am correct the router is in control of this  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »

This is more interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ly6kV-UUuZg

Yep the brightbox2 does look remarkably like the Arcadyan VDSL2 Gateway.  Difference in colour and EE logo is about it.

btw... someone needs to tell the guy in that video that DSL can also mean VDSL and it doesnt just mean ADSL... and that the brightbox2 is a VDSL modem/router.  The WAN port alone isnt what makes it a 'fibre' router.  If he says DSL compatible one more time Im going to scream, I exited at 3.5 mins because I just couldn't go the further 18 mins :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 12:42:53 AM »

If he says DSL compatible one more time Im going to scream, I exited at 3.5 mins because I just couldn't go the further 18 mins :(

fully understand Kitz  :blush:

The big question is will i be able to get any telnet communication from it and me thinks no unless someone has a firmware hack to enable it  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »

Not sure NS.

I think it was possible with the brightbox1, I dont know what progress has been made with the BB2.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:52 AM »

The big question is will i be able to get any telnet communication from it and me thinks no unless someone has a firmware hack to enable it  :-\

I suppose you could continue to use your unlocked HG612 and just use the BB2 as the router, etc?  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »

I suppose you could continue to use your unlocked HG612 and just use the BB2 as the router, etc?  :-\

probably will have to do that B*Cat to obtain stats from dslstats and hg612_modem_stats, ahh the trusty 3 year old HG612 is still going strong here it's a pity as i will end up with 2 all in ones HH5 and BB2 and not able to use them for gathering stats or as a VDSL2 modem at the same time.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »

what decides the dhcp pool if i am correct the router is in control of this  :-\

Yes, that's correct. The HG612 is configured as a bridging modem, converting from VDSL2 to Ethernet and from Ethernet to VDSL2. The router maintains a defined DHCP pool -- which can also be changed in size, start & finishing addresses and turned on or off. (That can certainly be done with the better quality devices.)

Pages: [1] 2 3