Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: errrr a bit late but.... Hi  (Read 5670 times)

Debug

errrr a bit late but.... Hi
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

Hello good forum people!

Thought i'd just pop in and inflate my n00b post count a little a little and introduce myself properly after being a member 7 years  ;D

In the interest of a stopping you guys nodding off, this is an abridged version of my online life.

It all started online via Ultimate BBS running a wildcat server - dialing in at 28k to download wares and games.  We all had to start somewhere and this seemed a pretty fun place to be.  I cut my teeth on those boards, I had no idea the world was about to get much smaller.

Then came the arrival of the modern internet and when AOL and Compuserve ruled.  I was connected via the newcomer to the scene freeserve, at 40p/minute i could flex 56k and dabbled with the freebee dialup Xtreme in and out of IRC before discovering eXcite chat.

Fun times they were - IPs were open and easily collectable, the flooders and ping tools were basic but effective, my lockdown siren still echos from a forgotten era, even if it was BT testing to see how many users were sharing a single account  *shrugs* I didn't know i wasn't meat to retaliate to this incoming threat   ::)  One account ban later and was already building my internet profile for the future :lol:

After a few years of being in the midst of the clan wars, c0ding toys to make eXcite chat 'entertaining' and making lifelong friendships tips hat to LaKitz the portal was sold to a gambling company iWon. 

iWon had no idea what they had bought into and developed a new chat protocol based on jabber and XML.  I dived in headfirst and helped rewrite software to keep things in order, while behind the scenes I was writing all the naughty toys to keep things interesting.  We ran the chatrooms and built a reputation for not being messed with.  iWon eXcite lasted a few years and eventually closed too leaving a number of people without an internet home.

I started to dabble in xbox360 chipping and rom flashing, learnt a few tricks and have a great little box thatll play an entire back catalog of games, but from this ive pretty much taken a back seat to all things techy. 

Now I spend my free time with the family or out on my bike.  I ride an old ZXR750H from the early 90s, its old technology, heavy and hard, but its iconic.

Thanks for the wealth of info this site has provided over the years, I've always tried to keep up with Kitz but she lost me way back when she took on the giants in the BB4B campaign, who would have known where that was going to lead eh?

Im not the most social person now, I have very little time free to play computers with my friends but i will pop in and out and try to keep up.

Take care good people of the internet..  i'll see you soon

Achievement Unlocked: PostCount +1   ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:34:57 AM by Debug »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: errrr a bit late but.... Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »

Welcome! :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »

Ha ha ...... a 7yr old 'Noob'. Welcome sir.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »

And already a Member, now with 10 posts!

I ride an old ZXR750H from the early 90s, its old technology, heavy and hard, but its iconic.

In the 1980s, I used to get about on a bright red ZX550A. Like your 750, quite top-heavy but would go like stink!  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Debug

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »

Thanks for the belated welcome guys :)

In the 1980s, I used to get about on a bright red ZX550A
Cracking machine! I actually used to ride around on a GPZ550 back in the 90's.  My first big bike.  And yes... they aren't slow for tanks, had mine to to around 160mph, and she still made a respectable laptime at Brands Hatch a month back (59.6secs), but carbs and heavy steering wont keep up with the new breed.

Debug

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »

Given the nature of the site.... should I adopt a feline profile pic?

My old chatroom AV feels a bit out of place  :D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:02:08 PM »

That would be cool, but it's not compulsory.   ;)

Welcome to the posting community.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »

That would be cool, but it's not compulsory.   ;)

I'd be in a bit of lumber then if it was compulsory  :)

Welcome, Debug.

Just noticed, my animated avatar has ceased to be animated  :(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:12:51 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »

Just noticed, my animated avatar has ceased to be animated  :(

It's animated when viewed here in The Cattery.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

Must be an IE 11 issue then as after just checking, it's still animated when viewed with Chrome.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »

It's also working in IE 11 again now  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »

Hi de and thanks for the intro. :hug:

I think some will have sussed that I've known debug and his wife since the late 90's and at a time when I was just learning to code and get interested in computing.  It was de who gave me my first network switch and laid the network cable so my daughter could get her PC online too.  Oh the days of sharing a network over dial up :lol: He was also one of those that encouraged me to officially study it to get proper qualifications.

I was never in his league though when it came to "c0ding" and l33t tools... and the advent of the BB4B (BT's official Broadband4) meant I followed a different path suddenly finding myself thrown head first into a battle with BT to prove there really was such a thing as contention when everyone else said it couldnt happen.  The info I learnt at that time and the unique situation I found myself in also meant that I had a decent contact who gave me info about BT's network that wasnt known or publically available before.. and so the kitz site began. 

Given the nature of the site.... should I adopt a feline profile pic?

lol nope, not sure how that happened it just seems that a lot of us do seem to have cats, but theres one or two eagles and dogs to keep the kittehs inline :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »

<ahem  ;)>

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »

lol nope, not sure how that happened it just seems that a lot of us do seem to have cats, but theres one or two eagles and dogs to keep the kittehs inline

Not to mention a penguin or two :oldman:
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 08:29:38 PM »

Ooops sorry  :blush:

See we have a right menagerie here  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker