Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSL-AC68U - Line Attenuation Too Low?  (Read 3260 times)

xS9

DSL-AC68U - Line Attenuation Too Low?
« on: April 18, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »

Hi,

So i've been having various issues with my PlusNET FTTC product, DLM has gone to town on my line and i've gone from 52mb to 32mb over the last 12 months. I accept a crosstalk through subscriber numbers and i've not been G.INP'd yet from what I can see.

Anyway, i've trying to work out why my line is unstable (loses sync every 24/48 hours). I've been rocking an Asus DSL-AC68U for a while and that seems to run with the following stats (running the new firmware 3.0.0.4.378_5007-g32566cc)

DSL modulation   ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
ANNEX Mode   ANNEX_B
SNR Down   9.9 dB
SNR Up   6.2 dB
Line Attenuation Down   16.5 dB
Line Attenuation Up   0.6 dB
Path Mode   Interleaved
Data Rate Down   32398 kbps
Data Rate Up   11611 kbps
MAX Rate Down   51388
MAX Rate Up   11749
POWER Down   11.3 dbm
POWER Up           7.4 dbm

I bought a HG612 OR Modem off eBay and tried it yesterday and noticed that instantly it runs at higher attenuation, which maybe suggests it would be stabler?

Line rate (kbit/s)   34999    11421
Attainable rate (kbit/s)   47396   11668
SNR margin (dB)   8.2   6.2
Line attenuation (dB)   23   0
Output power (dBmV)   12.3   7

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:26:47 PM by xS9 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DSL-AC68U - Line Attenuation Too Low?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »

Not necessarily.   Modems may interpret Attenuation in different ways.  Some may use the loop loss figure whilst some calculate it based on the number of tones that have been loaded and some across all available tones.

Theres a much better explanation here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm#attenuation

At the end of the day attenuation is a measurement of the physical wire which shouldnt really change much... but does because of and depending on the way the modem calculates the figure.

The best way to tell if it may be better is actually looking at the bit loading,  Your max down appears to be better on the ASUS, but saying that you are interleaved, which often messes around with the max rate on some routers.
I'm afraid you may just have to suck it and see for a while to see what performance is really like according to your line conditions.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

xS9

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »

Cheers!

I'm getting to the point where i'm not really getting any help from PlusNET and my line Sync Speed is just degrading.

Shall I just leave my HG612 on and start logging stats? I'm not even convinced if I manage to capture the stats and discover the issue that PlusNET/OR would resolve the issue.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »

Shall I just leave my HG612 on and start logging stats?

It certainly wont harm and may give you some insight as to what is happening on your line.

The HG612 is giving you a slightly better sync rate.. and the figure of  34999 looks perhaps like you may have been banded by the DLM (cant recall the band rates off the top of my head).. but if so this is possibly what is stopping you from syncing at a higher speed.  You look like you have some spare SNRm, so its a fair bet to say you've been banded.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

xS9

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »

Update:

Had my HG612 running B030SP08 running stable for 4 days now... (Longest I can remember...)

I wonder if I can make it to 10 days for DLM to re-band me maybe?

I've been capturing stats... out of interest, which graphs would I want to be looking at from the StatsViewer?

anything