Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ** Solved ** HG612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?  (Read 20165 times)

jeffers

I have unlocked my HG612 with the hg612_unlocked_sp10_firmware and need to be able to access the line stats from the same ethernet port which is connected to my main router. My main router is running Tomato RAF and supports routing a modem IP.

At the moment I can get one or the other working, depending on the HG612 config. Either I can get line stats or a ppp connection. Bot not both at the same time. I'm fairly sure the config on my main router is OK. Unfortunately running 2 ethernet cables to the back of the modem isn't feasible.

Any suggestions? I'm reluctant to keep changing settings (and rebooting) for fear of DLM kicking in :(

Jeffers

Topic title edited by admin to mark as solved.

[Moderator edited to fix a typo.]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:10:38 AM by burakkucat »

Al1264

Re: HB612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »

I don't think it can be done without connecting to both Ethernet ports on the HG612.

Unfortunately running 2 ethernet cables to the back of the modem isn't feasible.
However, the ethernet ports on the HG612 are 10/100 and 10/100 Ethernet uses only 2 pairs (1/2 and 3/6) so it **may** be possible to use both sockets with one (existing) ethernet cable (it would involve 'modifying' your existing cable to fit 2 plugs on each end).
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

jeffers

Re: HG612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

hmm, thanks for the info. Might bite the bullet and look at buying a new VDSL-capable router/modem. My main router is a few years old so maybe its time for an upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:34:16 PM by jeffers »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »

It might be doable via the CLI, depending on how much of the capability has been chopped out?
Either by using sub-interfaces off the one LAN port or creating a bridged interface, perhaps?

I find myself in the same position at the moment but my solution will be the easy route. A switch :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »

Jeffers -- Assuming you still have edit capabilities for your two posts, would you please take a moment and adjust the currently shown HB612 to be HG612?

And before I forget, "Welcome to the kitz forum."  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jeffers

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:32:57 PM »

Jeffers -- Assuming you still have edit capabilities for your two posts, would you please take a moment and adjust the currently shown HB612 to be HG612?

And before I forget, "Welcome to the kitz forum."  :)
D'oh! Thanks.

And thanks again!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »

Purrfect.  ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

you need to be able to add a second lan subnet to the hg612, and to be able to do some manual routing on the router to pull it off, see my billion thread.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14621.0.html

jeffers

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 07:06:56 PM »

I don't think it can be done without connecting to both Ethernet ports on the HG612.

Unfortunately running 2 ethernet cables to the back of the modem isn't feasible.
However, the ethernet ports on the HG612 are 10/100 and 10/100 Ethernet uses only 2 pairs (1/2 and 3/6) so it **may** be possible to use both sockets with one (existing) ethernet cable (it would involve 'modifying' your existing cable to fit 2 plugs on each end).

It looks like im a cheap-arse. I bodged a cable together and its working nicely. Thanks for the info!

For anyone else interested in doing something similar this is very helpful..

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-your-own-Ethernet-%22splitter%22/

Now to hook the stats into my mrtg setup :)

johnwigley

• Just arrived

Hi,

For those wanting to have both PPPoE Bridging (Internet Access), and Access to the HG612 (for line stats & admin interface), I've managed to make it work by making the following changes through the GUI to the ptm1.101 WAN profile.

Disable the Port Binding onto LAN port 1, and I've also changed the bridge mode from IP_Bridged to PPPoE Bridged (which is definitely correct, but may not be strictly neccessary).

See attached screenshot.

ADDENDUM:

Although this will allow simultaneous access to the routers LAN IP, and also PPPoE Bridging - you will also need to ensure ON YOUR ROUTER, that IP routing is enabled to your WAN interface to the modem, on OpenWRT that I use, I've just added a second IP routing interface to the WAN port with IP address 192.168.2.2, and changed the HG612 LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1 as my local network is on 192.168.1.xxx and therefore the HG612 default IP address of 192.168.1.1 would clash. There is another discussion on doing this for a Billion router here for reference, although I have not followed it in my setup:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14621.0.html

MODERATORS MAY WISH TO UPDATE ANY FAQ'S / INITIAL INSTRUCTIONS?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:28:15 PM by johnwigley »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »

so this is similar to what I did with the 8800nl in bridge mode to get lan access over the wan cable.  Nice.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 05:17:23 PM »

Do you happen to know if this would work with TalkTalk connections which use DHCP rather than PPPoE?

I'm using Gargoyle which is based on OpenWRT BTW.

johnwigley

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »

RE:

Do you happen to know if this would work with TalkTalk connections which use DHCP rather than PPPoE?

I'm using Gargoyle which is based on OpenWRT BTW.

Possibly IF you change the bridge mode back to IP_Bridged, I wasn't aware that any other connections over Openreach VDSL infrastructure used IP bridging, although I had an ISP on the VDSL Digital Region network in South Yorkshire that did.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »

Done, thanks.

Gargoyle, whilst based on OpenWRT, has a completely different web UI. I've found the "Routing" area and it has several options. I don't know what to put in there though :(

johnwigley

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »

Done, thanks.

Gargoyle, whilst based on OpenWRT, has a completely different web UI. I've found the "Routing" area and it has several options. I don't know what to put in there though :(

Hi,

You shouldn't need to set anything on static routing because the routed WAN subnet will include the subnet of the HG612's LAN IP. I can't see anything on the Gargolye docs for how you add a second interface, BUT you can definitely do it through one of it's config files. If you edit the text file /etc/config/network (using Winscp if you haven't anything else suitable), and add to the end of the file a new section with something similar to this:

Code: [Select]
config interface 'WAN_modem_mgmt'
option proto 'static'
option ifname 'eth0.2'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ipaddr '192.168.2.2'

You will need to edit the 'eth0.2' and change it to the same as the IFNAME entry for your WAN port, which you should be able to see in that file. So, if the ifname entry for your WAN port is eth0.1 change the entry above to eth0.1 also.
Pages: [1] 2 3