Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ** Solved ** HG612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?  (Read 20248 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »

And...just like that it's working! :)

I've been trying to figure this out for ages so thanks a bunch! :D

johnwigley

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »

And...just like that it's working! :)

I've been trying to figure this out for ages so thanks a bunch! :D

Well that should probably be another one for the relevant FAQs then - you definitely do not need to change Bridge mode from IP_Bridged to PPPoE_Bridged. Assuming that's how you have it configured Alec?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:46:56 PM by johnwigley »

johnwigley

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »

Jeffers -- Assuming you still have edit capabilities for your two posts, would you please take a moment and adjust the currently shown HB612 to be HG612?

And before I forget, "Welcome to the kitz forum."  :)

Jeffers - could you please update the topic title to show this issue is solved please.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

I'm really sorry to do this but my name is Alec, not Alex - I'm sure it's just autocorrect being silly :)

I'll tell you exactly what I did:
  • Configured the LAN interface as you described above and rebooted the router;
  • Changed the HG612's LAN IP address to 192.168.2.254 and disabled LAN binding on LAN1.
I am using IP_Bridged.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

For those wanting to have both PPPoE Bridging (Internet Access), and Access to the HG612 (for line stats & admin interface), I've managed to make it work by making the following changes through the GUI to the ptm1.101 WAN profile.

MODERATORS MAY WISH TO UPDATE ANY FAQ'S / INITIAL INSTRUCTIONS?

Hi and welcome.  Thank you for your information :)

Ive added a link to your post on the main site - HG612 modem & Line stats.   There's also a link there for Chrys's guide how to do this with a Billion 8800NL.

Jeffers - could you please update the topic title to show this issue is solved please.
Done.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Well my setup worked for a few hours but the modem is once again inaccessible :(

johnwigley

• Just arrived

Well my setup worked for a few hours but the modem is once again inaccessible :(

Finding out whether it's the HG612 or the Gargoyle router is the 1st thing to do. It's quite possible if you've changed a setting in Gargoyle, that it's overwritten that network config file you changed.

Have you plugged the HG612 LAN1 directly into your computer to check whether you can ping 192.168.2.254? You'll obviously need to add a valid IP in the range 192.168.2.xxx to your computer.

If you can still ping the HG612 through LAN1 direct from the computer then I'd say you've probably overwritten the network config. If not, then connect the HG612 via LAN2 and have a look at the LAN port binding?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

The HG612 is still accessible via 192.168.2.254. Port binding is still disabled on both LAN parts on the HG612.

I haven't changed any Gargoyle settings :(

johnwigley

• Just arrived

The HG612 is still accessible via 192.168.2.254. Port binding is still disabled on both LAN parts on the HG612.

I haven't changed any Gargoyle settings :(

The HG612 is still accessible via LAN1? In which case there's nothing wrong with HG612, so it must be your Gargoyle router. Have you checked the network config file to make sure it's the same as you left it? Presumably you've rebooted it too?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I have rebooted and the config is the same :(

johnwigley

• Just arrived

Just to confirm:

1) If you plug in the HG612 via LAN1 to your PC, you can definitely ping it, and access it's web interface?
2) If you plug it back into the Gargoyle router, and then SSH/telnet into the Gargoyle router, can you ping the HG612 from there?

Ragnarok

Re: HB612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »

I don't think it can be done without connecting to both Ethernet ports on the HG612.

Unfortunately running 2 ethernet cables to the back of the modem isn't feasible.
However, the ethernet ports on the HG612 are 10/100 and 10/100 Ethernet uses only 2 pairs (1/2 and 3/6) so it **may** be possible to use both sockets with one (existing) ethernet cable (it would involve 'modifying' your existing cable to fit 2 plugs on each end).

more for other people struggling,

You need a good router (like DDWRT /tomato ) that can run a pppoe and a lan subnet on the same interface. and disable the port binding for wan on the HG612 as if they are enabled that port becomes a bridge only port once pppoe is established. once you have that right and have matching subnets and ip ranges on the modem router wan ports you should have access.

It's worked for me for years, with various modems currently using the ECI rev r  here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:28:20 AM by Ragnarok »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Fixed it.

Turns out my Mac's WiFi hotspot was also using 192.168.2.X as its subnet which was interfering with the HG612's subnet :)

unaszplodrmann

• Just arrived
Re: ** Solved ** HG612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

Such a simple solution! I presumed getting everything running over a single physical connection would be a faff on the HG612, even though I too have used this setup with other bridging modems.

As an addendum, I have the HG612 connected to a homebrew router on 192.168.0.0/24. The PPPoE connection is handled by the router with bridging mode set to 'IP_Bridged' on the HG612. I found that I needed to SNAT my LAN subnet (192.168.1.0/24), otherwise the HG612 would drop inbound connections from anywhere but the router. The firewall level is set to 'standard' on the HG612.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: ** Solved ** HG612 - line stats and bridge on same ethernet interface?
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 01:42:30 AM »

I am using a tomoto based router any chance of someone posting some screenshots of the hg612 & tomato setup pages for a working setup?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything