Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 3B directly to PC and HH5 as a router at the same time.  (Read 3964 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member

Hello,

Is it possible to connect HG612 3B unlocked directly to the PC via ethernet and connect HH5 just as a router for WiFi? I would like to use HG612 as a gateway instead of HH5.

I don't need access to stats.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:34:46 PM by N0STIE »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Huawei HG612 3B directly to PC and HH5 as a router at the same time.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:44:27 AM »

As I understand its not recommended as the HG612 is very primitive and lacking in CPU power to act as your main router for VDSL, which is why Openreach do not use it in that way.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »

Assuming for a minute that you are talking about a Windows box when you say PC (if it's a *nix box then my apologies), then you need to set up the Windows box as a _PPPoE client_. Windows has the software built in to do the necessary, with Internet connection setup.

A *nix box will know how to be a PPPoE client too.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »

Any idiot guide to do that? @Weaver

I am not that far with networking yet :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »

In Windows there is a wizard called something like Internet Connection Setup, and one of the the choices is one PC and a PPPoE modem with the PC acting as the PPP endpoint, it shows lists of choices with friendly pictures. Windows help (press F1) is a good place to start (type in "set up an Internet connection" or some such). Google is your friend as always. I'm afraid it's many years since I used a Windows box (Win7 is the most recent version I have used).

If you want to have more than one PC connected to the modem, you can get your PC to "share" the connection to the modem, in which case your PC will act as a NAT router and publish the availability of this connection on your LAN. This is another "wizard" which just does everything for you and makes a load of choices automatically, and does it right too.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 12:49:58 AM »

It is worth buying a router though, especially if you have more than one PC, as using one of your PCs as a router puts an unnecessary load on that one PC. If your network comes under attack, the PC that is acting as a router can be put at risk, it could be crashed or slowed down and find that all its RAM is being wasted. Hardware separate routers almost always act as firewalls too, which is an extremely good thing as they keep the incoming badness out of your LAN and, as far as possible, prevent incoming junk from crippling any of your PCs.

I would say that not using a separate hardware firewall/router is unsafe if there is any chance of you being attacked. Don't say, “but I'm not important, no one knows who I am, no one dislikes me”, as a great majority of current attacks are mindless scans carried out by computers with no human behind the attack, not unless the scan penetrates a network and finds something juicy, in which case a human might come and take a look.

But having a PC which from time to time runs really slowly, like a dog for no apparent reason, is not a good thing, and having to deal with a load of network traffic or even an attack, is not a good state of affairs. Superb routers can be had for peanuts.

For example, take a look at the Zyxel xDSL modem/router/firewall/WAP that is available from the Andrews & Arnold shop (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=16494.0) - you don't have to be an Andrews & Arnold customer, the shop is just a reliable source for cheap, high-quality, reviewed kit.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 01:09:22 AM by Weaver »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »

Why do you not want to use the HH as your router?  I would have thought your best bet was to use the HH5 as router and PPPoE client, with the unlocked HG612 as plain modem.   Internet sharing from Windows is a bag of worms.  (in my opinion)

Iain

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »

The HH5 is also a VDSL modem, so why even connect the HG612?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »

because the HH5 is pants, to put it kindly. It's unreliable.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »

because the HH5 is pants, to put it kindly. It's unreliable.

Less reliable than using Windows?  Which is not going to support uPNP, port forwarding or pretty much any of the packet filtering that you expected from a routers firewall.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Iain

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »

OK, so apologies for slight off topic, to be fair, my HH5 has currently been online for 45 days, but I don't use the wireless side, instead I have Netgear Router, with different IP range connected to it, that I use for all of my local network.

My next step is to replace the HH5, and just use the Netgear connected directly to a HG612.

So back on topic, would the OP not be better off doing something similar, HG612 and a better router ?

I have been keeping a close eye on other posts on here, and have been keeping my eye out for any bargain priced combined units on a well known auction site!!