Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: HG612 modem - prices on ebay  (Read 29423 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 modem - prices on ebay
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »

Was that as well as the HG622s?

Yes.  :)  First the HG610s, then the HG622s. And, naturally, I have both devices in The Cattery;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

So, does the HG610 work as good on VDSL2 as the HG612 does?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »

Openreach HG612's have been available on taobao for some years .e.g.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.200.uDblOc&id=43195949461&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.380.uDblOc&id=17258023931&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

But they always look like pre 3B models.  Maybe used and unwanted Huawei stock.

610's, 622, and several more recent models are also available.  In the past I purchased and reported some of the other models. The purchases were  via http://www.yoybuy.com/ which is same method that asbo used for his purchases.

I would however agree that purchase like a 8800NL is a much better bet.

Projjer01

• Just arrived
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2015, 07:18:34 PM »

Just to update you on the eBay sale of my HG610.
I did up the Buy It Now price to £35 and this afternoon someone bought it !

So Kitz - £5 will be donated shortly :-)

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Projjer01

• Just arrived
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »

Just to update you on the eBay sale of my HG610.
I did up the Buy It Now price to £35 and this afternoon someone bought it !

So Kitz - £5 will be donated shortly :-)

Cheers

HG612 of course

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2015, 11:15:12 AM »

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:21:09 AM by AlecR »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2015, 12:30:25 AM »

Yep total silly money.   What happens if BT changes something on their network and there's no-one like Asbo or Wolfy to continue to support f/w for this modem.
Without HWolf there would be a hell of a lot of HG612 users up the creek without a paddle right now.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »

Most of the description of that one is total nonsense.

It's verging on scaring people into buying that one because the others will be "blocked".

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »

Seriously, avoid "fibre-cat".

Why? Because of claims like this.

Unlocked BT Openreach Modem ECI/r [v3] - VDSL 2 /FTTC/Infinity-Superior to HG612

How in any way is it superior?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 10:45:52 PM »

What happens if BT changes something on their network and there's no-one like Asbo or Wolfy to continue to support f/w for this modem.

Most of the hard work was done by Asbo and Wolfy followed it up and we need new blood incase Wolfy also disappears like Asbo  :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 11:56:34 PM »

I have had my suspicions that the person behind the fibre-cat ID is obtaining information from the Kitz web-site and forum. The current choice of eBay ID, fibre-cat, appears to be a veiled acknowledgement of what has been learnt here.

Quote from: eBay
Based in Lancashire, United Kingdom, fibre-cat has been an eBay member since 20 Nov, 2004

When joining eBay, on 20th November 2004, the ID len230 was selected. That ID was then used up until 3rd March 2014, when it was replaced with the fibre-cat ID. [1]

Quote from: eBay
User ID       Effective Date       End Date
fibre-cat      03-Mar-14             Present
len320       20-Nov-04              03-Mar-14

[1] http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserIdHistory&requested=fibre-cat
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:51:43 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2015, 02:46:41 AM »

Punching myself in the face, since I sold a spare brand new HW unlocked HG612 for £5 Buy It Now last week (which I got for free anyway from an engineer I bumped into a while back) I guess I'm too generous nevertheless.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »

Why? Because of claims like this.

Unlocked BT Openreach Modem ECI/r [v3] - VDSL 2 /FTTC/Infinity-Superior to HG612

How in any way is it superior?

Good grief! £80 for an ECI?  :o

I dont know enough about the following subject but I note his claim of ReTX following the output

Code: [Select]
nReturn=0 nDirection=1 bTrellisEnable=1 bBitswapEnable=1 bReTxEnable=1 bVirtualNoiseSupport=0
However I know with the TPlink TDW9980 (same chipset)  needed the following to be fully compliant with g.inp (As you will recall I was in close communication with TPlink when it came to light that the TDW-9980 originally only supported g.inp downstream.   This is output from the TDW-9980 after the tplink fix to support g.inp support in both directions. 

Code: [Select]
nReturn=0 nDirection=0 bTrellisEnable=1 bBitswapEnable=1 bReTxEnable=1 bVirtualNoiseSupport=0 b20BitSupport=0
nReturn=0 nDirection=1 bTrellisEnable=1 bBitswapEnable=1 bReTxEnable=1 bVirtualNoiseSupport=0 b20BitSupport=0

ejs is a far better man than me to be able to say more as he's done a lot of digging and research into unlocking and working on that branch of the Lantiq based chips.   I seem to recall him mentioning one instance showing of ReTX from the shell prior to the fix but users were still at this point seeing problems with g.inp.

Some of those claims seem pure hype and aimed to confuse :-\.

I note he's also selling the WMG1312 for £80 which can be bought brand new for £60

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »

@b*cat - cheers for the info. I dont use ebay so didnt see that.  Yep I've no doubt that some of the info is picked up on here.  The naming of Mk1 Mk2 started off here and although Ive used that on the PN forums I havent really seen it used elsewhere.   I think NS may take credit for 'Mk1 and 2'...  but some of the other stuff is

Punching myself in the face, since I sold a spare brand new HW unlocked HG612 for £5 Buy It Now last week (which I got for free anyway from an engineer I bumped into a while back) I guess I'm too generous nevertheless.

I thought the whole idea of ebay was to buy unwanted goods and get a fair price for them.  If he is sourcing direct from the manufacturer as he claims then surely he shouldnt be a private reseller?
His prices are grossly inflated..  I wouldnt pay £90 for a second hand ZyXEL SBG3300 either.   

There are other sellers that offer much better and fairer prices eg someone selling unlocked HG612's for £37 inc p&p
Don't know who he is, but I couldnt help but notice he says this

Buy from a trusted seller who won't rip you off selling smoke and mirrors at £40-£70 ridiculous prices, listing firmware versions that don't exist and creating fake terms to confuse buyers, inventing nonsense such as unlocked serial ports and other absolute rubbish at consumer's expense.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »

Kitz, I think it is fairly obvious he is buying the stock from other eBay customers and websites and then selling it on for a large profit (even taking into account eBay fees which are huge these days).

Perhaps he might also work for Openreach and is making a nice profit on the side?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything