Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: HG612 modem - prices on ebay  (Read 29456 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: HG612 modem - prices on ebay
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »

Nice gesture to recognise others hard work.  I see that you have keep the price more sensible too and aren't asking the silly money. :)

@Dray.   It's tricky because so many people have been involved.  Original credit obviously must go to Asbo for the unlocking... But there's also been input from bcat.. And then people like bald eagle  and ronski and Eric for stat logging.

Also a very important mention should go to howling wolf, because without him then unlocked hg612s would be a bit useless now... As they wouldn't be ginp compatible and seeing the same issues as the eci modems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »

I believe Asbokid originated the stats logging and also the toolkit that enabled rebuilding of the firmware

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 11:00:23 AM »

Why doesn't he post (as Asbokid?) anymore? He rocks!

Did anyone figure out what a good alternative might be?

VDSL2 capable BDCM + telnet access = win?

I'm not sure we should be discouraging the mega profits on the HG612 or anything else. We're techies, not whingers.

However, pretty sure Kitz pays for this site out of her own purse. If you find yourself coming back here again and again, perhaps consider hitting the Support this site button up the top to really give something back :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »

I don't know why, but Asbokid seems to have been banned from a lot of forums (know the feeling well). I do remember him running auctions of unlocked Huawei HG622 modems for the benefit of https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

All his work appears to be in the public domain with no benefit to himself.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

I don't know why, but Asbokid seems to have been banned from a lot of forums (know the feeling well). I do remember him running auctions of unlocked Huawei HG622 modems for the benefit of https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

All his work appears to be in the public domain with no benefit to himself.

Ah, that's a shame.
Sometimes the helpy helperton in you goes too far, eh? :)

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »

That one you referred to has an interesting comment:

Huawei [SZ] Direct -- Not "Ex-Openreach"= No Network Block / Lockout Risk{Openreach/contract stock units have the mac number/serials logged on the data base  which can be system blocked with NCAS update rollout}

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Projjer

• Just arrived
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »

Thanks for the +ve responses  :)

I worded it that way to
a) remind potential purchasers that they had reason to be thankful
b) perhaps embarass sellers profiting from the efforts of others

I had no idea of all who had contributed, but my first thought was to donate to Kitz to support the site as I felt that most of the contributors would have no problem with this.  Their good work helping a community that they were a part of.

If there is a definitive list then I would be happy to edit my description but I don't want to get into "I did more than him/her" type arguments.
I will do the same when I put my ECI device up for auction, although I think their prices are going in the opposite direction  :(

Just seen the latest posts on here _ I might have to increase my "Buy it now price"  ;D

Cheers

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »

I'm more than happy for the funds to be donated to Kitz & the My DSL Web Stats website. Both have ongoing costs, as well as the time they put in.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »

Whats "Huawei[SZ]"   Is that Huawei Shenzhen? If so thats the region in China where Huawei is based - or could it be this - SHENZHEN HUAWEI TECHNOLOGES CO.LTD who appear to be suppliers for Huawei equipment.  I note they are selling modems suchs as the HG521.

His image shows the Openreach logo though.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »

They have gone past the £59 marker most are selling on ebay at £84.99 now lol.

They sure have picked up on the G.INP issue and using it as a sell point thats for sure.

That is ridiculous, stupid, silly money.   >:(

I can only repeat previous post, that when recommending a HG612 that we should warn the buyer to check price.    IMHO a Billion or Zyxel would be a far better purchase at that money. 

In a way I feel that we* may have created a monster by recommending an unlocked HG612s as the fix.   Other people have exploited that advice to the point at that price they are ripping consumers off who arent aware of what they should really be paying.

If he's buying in bulk for about a tenner he's making a nice tidy profit on the back of the likes of Asbo/HW/et-al hard work.  Ive said before I have no qualms about those increasing the price to buy a couple of  pints by installing HW firmware because there will always be those less technical & too scared to do it themselves.   But I feel that particular seller is ripping off the community (not just here) advice by offering at such inflated prices.     All the people who have invested in hacking the HG612 have done so for free and as has been mentioned Asbo donated any profits to dogs trust. 

* "We" being all those across all the broadband communities who give advice and time for free.
-----

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »

Yep but look at what he\she is claiming, they are saying brought direct from the factory and we know that is ball

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

Yep hence my confusion about the fact the photo's all show the openreach logo  ???   

According to the Shenzhen Huawei site,  Those bought direct from the factory would appear to show the Huawei logo eg

-----
PS

What's "vk" does any one know

HG612 -3B[vk]
With the revised Broadcom [6368VK] chipset
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:36:05 PM by kitz »
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 04:15:16 PM »

Regarding the Huawei HG610. A few random comments --
  • The PCB of a HG612 is that of the HG610 with certain components removed.
  • When I last looked, the source code for the HG610 firmware was available from the Huawei web-site.
  • Some time (years) ago, Asbokid imported a batch of HG610s, replaced the firmware image (in Chinese) with an image using English and offered each one of those devices as a receipt for a donation to the Dogs Trust.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »

Was that as well as the HG622s?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6