Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speed Tests ---Ookla  (Read 2801 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Speed Tests ---Ookla
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »

Doing a test I noticed that my results screen is other than most I've seen. I doesn't give things like quality, as you'll see from attachment. As of habit I may have gone to the wrong linl, but do not think so.
If the one I have is valid. it isn't progress IMO.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Speed Tests ---Ookla
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »

Sorry, I didn't understand your question?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:00:42 PM by AlecR »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »

Im not quite sure what you meant either, but if it helps I'll attach a copy of mine below. {see screen capture as attachment}

---------

Then when you've done the test, you can click the "Share this Result" button just underneath the download speed.
This will give you a url that you can paste into forums and will come up like this:-

You can also create an account and log a list of your results.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »

Im not quite sure what you meant either, but if it helps I'll attach a copy of mine below. {see screen capture as attachment}

---------

Then when you've done the test, you can click the "Share this Result" button just underneath the download speed.
This will give you a url that you can paste into forums and will come up like this:-

You can also create an account and log a list of your results.
Hi Kitz! As it happens you have illustrated why I posted. Why did the test I made get the rubbish version I attached, whilst your test produced the sensible and useful version?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:50:35 PM »

Which server did you use?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »

Hi Kitz! As it happens you have illustrated why I posted. Why did the test I made get the rubbish version I attached, whilst your test produced the sensible and useful version?

Just checking that after you hit the "Share My Result" Button, that you select the forum option?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »

I have sussed it. Thanks all from a ......... I let server be chosen by Ookla system. I prsume grade relates to spped ranking, not quality.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »

I have sussed it. Thanks all from a ......... I let server be chosen by Ookla system. I prsume grade relates to spped ranking, not quality.

I see your connection is slower than 73% of GB,well mine is slower than...............Next doors Tortoise (sorry Henry)  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:29:47 PM by UncleUB »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »

I can imagine the frustrations of those of UncleUB's ilk, and consider myself fortunate. TBH I really wonder if comments such as ' your connection is slower than xx% of the UK', though factual, is morally justified. Firstly it compares results from different technologies, of which one is totally dependent on a  crumbling infrastructure. Should one lump apples and turnips together? ::)

The other matter is how much actual real time is saved (I mean total minutes in ones 'computer day) by having a connection that is 5X faster than ADSL. Take out all related tasks such as reading what is downloaded, preparing what is uploaded and so on. Is one actually achieving a 5X larger output, as the marketeers and camp followers would have everyone believe?

I do like technology even so, and we do need improved communications to compete. However for Joe Bloggs some is over-hyped against his needs.