Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Proof that the peak time congestion lies with Plusnet  (Read 10478 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Proof that the peak time congestion lies with Plusnet
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 01:55:45 AM »

wooooooah nice graph - not ;(

btw - edited my typo guy = gut
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:17 AM »

I wonder if its possible that the available endpoints is not fully dynamic, e.g. 25% of endpoints might be available to one of 4 customer groups.

As I noticed I tend to have a 95% chance of a BNG and 5% change of ag01 or ag03 with 0% change of any of the other ag's.  Yet there was a guy who said he couldnt get of ag06 no matter how much he hopped.  Really bizzare.  This may also possibly explin why a few people say they havent been seeing any issues.  A bit like how VM segregated their customers into different nodes and one node could have immaculate performance and another be totally overloaded.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 02:55:39 AM »

PN admitted they have issues in the other thread. Is proving they have issues still necessary? :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 03:39:52 AM »

no, but I am hoping the issues they admitted is the only issues to deal with.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 03:45:07 AM »

I think it is, as until very recently they had been adamant that  it wasn't their fault blah, blah, blah, and even this latest admission  doesn't really cover what a lot of us have been complaining about for several months now, this isn't something that has only been ongoing for less than a week therefore they IMO haven't admitted to anything really
So yes exposing them for what they are  does matter, why should they walk away unscathed so to speak, after telling us porkies?

And not to mention they have failed in a catastrophic way every customer who has been seeing these problems for months  by doing absolutely ZERO about the issues
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:48:27 AM by tommy45 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »

plusnet have now posted the huge latency increases yesterday were down to BTw manchester.

so is 2 issues. possibly also more that we dont know about.

This BT manchester issue has dragged on apparently since christmas, its unreal its still ongoing now.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »

plusnet have now posted the huge latency increases yesterday were down to BTw manchester.

so is 2 issues. possibly also more that we dont know about.

This BT manchester issue has dragged on apparently since christmas, its unreal its still ongoing now.
Blaming it on BTW's Bras's at M'cr  as there are 13 of them affected apparently  isn't cutting the mustard for me
I after all got a higher throughput once connected to BTW's network than i did when connecting to Plusnet's network TAP3
 Lets not forget Plusnets issues with latency and capacity  have been ongoing for a lot longer than this BTW bras issue
They are using this BTW issue to their advantage or will soon do that,(IMO) and Statements it was our busiest day yesterday  yesterday ever, Well that's quite possible seeing as they have never had as many customers as they now have Obviously someone made a big mistake when guesstimating how much capacity they would need , or the bean counters wouldn't auth the expenditure, so it got scaled back  hence the issues every time their customers base actually uses their connections en mass , plusnets internal networking cannot cope

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »

Yes indeed on this BT line Manchester is giving me higher pings in the evening times, I could do 10 gateway hops and land on Manchester 9 out of 10 times bizarre but it's true  ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:37:33 PM by NewtronStar »

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »

says it all really plusnet are full of ....

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »

Hi

Not much of a help but I left PlusNet because of congestion issues and the annoyance of having to know the in's and out's of their gateways to hop around them, that was years ago before FTTC! Nothing has changed in all this time.

It seems to be a cycle, it's okay for a bit, probably because of a combination of a bad spell causing customers to leave at the same time they try and tweak the platform and add more capacity in desperation to dampen the complaints on social media sites, so it works for a bit until the next 6 months half price promotion. :(

It is PlusNet's model, they run to full capacity and then some, so it takes very little change in usage for it to all start falling down, how else are they so cheap?

I'm with Xilo now, it is around 3 times the price PlusNet charge for FTTC, however for that I'm getting a service 100 times better, never slows down even at peak times and nothing is traffic shaped, no gold or platinum queues or other such concepts, just everything at full line speed. I wouldn't expect that service at PlusNet rates, they just can't do it.

Regards

Phil

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »

Whilst you may have a point, it doesnt excuse it, plusnet make claims that they wont be the bottleneck and their product pages show the unlimited product should run at line speed 24/7.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »

Where does it say that you should get full line speed 24/7?

All I could find (in the legal bit at the bottom) was
"† Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line up to 76Mb for Unlimited Fibre Extra and up to 38Mb on Unlimited Fibre, and upload speed up to 19.5Mb. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products. Find out why speeds vary."

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 06:32:23 AM »

For older products, that's the page where Plusnet list the set rate limits that apply for certain types of traffic at certain times. I think it's supposed to mean that there aren't any set rate limits on the current Unlimited product, rather than suggesting you should get full line speed 24/7. The page also says you may see lower speeds when the network is busy.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:55 AM »

Hi

Whilst you may have a point, it doesnt excuse it, plusnet make claims that they wont be the bottleneck and their product pages show the unlimited product should run at line speed 24/7.

I understand exactly what you mean, I was the same years ago, joined in on the complaints in the hope they would pull it around but at some point the cycle repeated itself so often I realised it's all marketing and PR with PlusNet.  Just look at the website to see what they are about.

It's like booking on a certain Irish budget airline, you don't expect to ever pay the advertised price and the best people hope for is to arrive at an airport that doesn't involve 2 border crossings to get to the country you thought was your direct destination!  People put up with it because it's cheap.

PlusNet are also not the first or the last company to make exaggerated claims about their product, PlusNet have been doing it for years, but people know it's cheap and tolerate all the messing around by and large in the same way people will go to the cheapest budget airline.  When PlusNet works good everyone is happy at paying a few quid a month for what seems like no contention full line speed service, but that really is only ever going to be the exception with them.

Like I said, PlusNet has always run in cycles like this, it's been the same for years, it will get better, then will fall down again after a few months and the cycle of complaints repeat.

Regards

Phil
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything