Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MAC for MPF LLU Product?  (Read 3641 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
MAC for MPF LLU Product?
« on: April 29, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »

I'm with TalkTalk for fibre/phone, is it possible for them to generate a MAC for migration from this type of product?

Currently talking to an ISP rep who suggests transfer from TalkTalk fibre to new ISP/fibre is possible with a MAC. Forum moderator(not TalkTalk staff) at TalkTalk says MACs are not relevant for this type of migration.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:24:13 PM by phi2008 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: MAC for MPF LLU Product?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »

My understanding is that a migration from an MPF (i.e. llu) supplier does not need a MAC.  :-\

However, having said that, perhaps Eric will recount the process he used in going from TalkTalk ADSL2+ to (I believe) Plusnet VDSL2?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »

I've also heard a MAC is not needed, normally, however the ISP(Zen) rep I have spoken to has basically said a MAC from TalkTalk would enable him to transfer TalkTalk fibre to his ISP more easily. So I'm guessing he has done TalkTalk fibre migrations before and that TalkTalk fibre MACs actually exist.  :hmm:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:59:44 PM by phi2008 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »

What B*cat says is correct for ADSL2+. When I migrated from TT to PlusNet I simply ordered it from PlusNet and advised TT that I was moving. It all went smoothly, although I did have several hours without any internet connection because TT disconnected me from their service early in the morning, but it was afternoon before the PlusNet replacement was enabled.

I guess it's the same with VDSL2, but I can't be certain.
  Eric

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »

If your MPF then this is not covered by the Mac Code process TT will not be able to even generate a MAC code  even if their support staff knew what a MAC code actually was You just transfer usually the voice first over to a BTWLR3 provider and once the BT data base has updated you will be able to order bb be that FTTC or ADSL
Some downtime is to be expected  unless the gaining ISP is able to order a sim provide onto BTW platform from MPF ?

If you was migrating to say sky it would possibly be more straightforward as that would be also mpf
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:37:03 PM by tommy45 »

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »

If your MPF then this is not covered by the Mac Code process TT will not be able to even generate a MAC code

Then I don't understand why an ISP rep, from a respected ISP(Zen), who must have dealt with TalkTalk fibre before, is suggesting I get a MAC from TalkTalk to migrate to Zen fibre?

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »

I don't know, Poor training or lack of it perhaps unfortunately a common occurrence these days regardless of the isp

If they can't give you a MAC then you can't pass on something you haven't got ,
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:04:17 PM by tommy45 »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »

Since when is TT fibre MPF? :) :S

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 02:00:50 AM »

It would be the  BTOR GEA variant, and would link onto TT's LLU network at the exchange Just the same as SKY would, as they don't use btw for data transit But i understand what you are saying , But in any case the PSTN service won't be BTWRL3  based ,So the normal mac process wouldn't apply TT won't give the op a MAC code

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:03:32 AM »

Since when is TT fibre MPF? :) :S

Since from when it was installed!  :P

It is MPF. One must remember that the telephony part of the product travels over the D- & E- sides to the exchange and then enters TT's MSAN via the HDF.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »

TT have a competing FTTC product?!

I didn't realise! :D

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 02:12:36 PM »

Their as far as i'm aware 2 variants of FTTC Wholesale and Openreach GEA FTTC  the Openreach variant connects via open reach Cable links onto the Isp's LLU MPF network at the exchange, So TT and Sky Buy this variant and use their own infrastructure for data transport
Where as other isp's use the Wholesale  WBMC /shared FTTC product  and BT wholesale is used for back haul and interconnects to the ISP at their data centre's
Zen uses both  GEA  where it has LLU presence at the exchange and wholesale for the rest, currently it only offers SMPF so data only on it's LLU network

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »

Thanks, Tommy!

That proper confused me earlier :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »

Thanks Tommy, from The Cattery:)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »

Their as far as i'm aware 2 variants of FTTC Wholesale and Openreach GEA FTTC  the Openreach variant connects via open reach Cable links onto the Isp's LLU MPF network at the exchange, So TT and Sky Buy this variant and use their own infrastructure for data transport
Where as other isp's use the Wholesale  WBMC /shared FTTC product  and BT wholesale is used for back haul and interconnects to the ISP at their data centre's
Zen uses both  GEA  where it has LLU presence at the exchange and wholesale for the rest, currently it only offers SMPF so data only on it's LLU network

Yep and it can get proper confusing for lines on some of the smaller exchanges. 

The phone line is MPF to the LLU MSAN at the local exchange, but the FTTC will be connected to the LLU backhaul via a GEA cable-link at a neighbouring (but larger) exchange. So in cases such as these, the ISP has to not only have a presence (HDF & MSAN) at the nearby exchange but then must also purchase a GEA cable-link from the exchange where the fibre OLT is.

BTw based ISPs purchase FTTC from BTw who in turn purchase GEA from Openreach.   Yet Openreach make use of the BTw owned DLM system.   Its a right tangled web where BTw buy from BTOr... and BTOR buy services from BTw. ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker