Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Proof that the peak time congestion lies with Plusnet  (Read 10492 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Proof that the peak time congestion lies with Plusnet
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:14:08 PM »

and the successive TAP3 result

i.imgur.com/qOJQVw9.jpg

That was after being subjected to  base latency of 100ms on average since 4pm this afternoon  i hopped gateways  and got  sub 10mbps throughput both single and multi threaded streams, plusnet should re brand to Jokenet

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:22:18 PM by tommy45 »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Proof that the peak time congestion lies with Plusnet
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »

Just for my sanity, would you resize the images (on the forum) so they're less massive? You can link to larger ones.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »

woah...  massive image alert that just shows a lot of white space :(
Best resize because Im struggling on a dual monitor set up.   Gawd knows what it would be like if I was viewing on my ipad.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:09 PM »

my gaming is running at 18ms higher ping than usual on plusnet. In practical terms its insignificant, however its rock solid at 108ms usually so when my meter says something different I notice.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »

Sorry about the size of the TAP3 test but the pos wouldn't display when i used the screen grab addon in FF  so i had to  do a screen grab on my pc using paint and then editing it, but unable to get rid of the white space,sorry  i could just link to em though i suppose, Done BTW
 I just wanted max exposure  I want people to see  just what has been going on ,As I'm sick of the plusnet lies and their pathetic fan club lying and trying to discourage proper open debate for them
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:21:29 PM by tommy45 »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:03 PM »

Sorry about the size of the TAP3 test but the pos wouldn't display when i used the screen grab addon in FF  so i had to  do a screen grab on my pc using paint and then editing it, but unable to get rid of the white space,sorry

You can hold ALT while pressing print screen to only grab the active window, and then in paint the right and bottom sides of the canvas (and bottom right corner) have grab handles to resize the canvas. they're not easy to see though.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:57:31 PM »

Sorry about the size of the TAP3 test but the pos wouldn't display when i used the screen grab addon in FF  so i had to  do a screen grab on my pc using paint and then editing it, but unable to get rid of the white space,sorry

You can hold ALT while pressing print screen to only grab the active window, and then in paint the right and bottom sides of the canvas (and bottom right corner) have grab handles to resize the canvas. they're not easy to see though.
well you learn something every day , i'll remember that,thanks  (hopefully ) does this work in win xp sp3? next time i need to use ms paint
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:59:56 PM by tommy45 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:28:49 AM »

Both images adjusted for size, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »

Unfortunately it isn't conclusive proof that it is Plusnet as there's several other places that could also show up the same symptoms.

From my own symptoms I would normally point the finger at Plusnets gateways but there are some users who can be ok on the same gateway and vice versa.. which leaves the endpoints and impossible for us to know which we are on.   

The only other place that could change depending upon your PPPsession and which can change when you 'gateway hop' is the BTw MSILs.    Obviously you will still connect at the same physical node location, but BTwholesale have a awful lots of MSILs at the node and which one you get on is pot lot.   It will highly likely change if you are connecting to any of say the PCL/PTN/PTW etc gateways as it can depend on your gateway destination.

Im not attempting to stick up for them, just state facts.  I wish I knew myself whether it was the PN gateways or the BTw MSILs
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 12:52:34 AM »

Well the tap 3 is proof enough for me, as it excludes plusnets internal network does it not? if so then it has to be within their domain otherwise the whole point of BTW having such a test is fundamentally floored  and is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard , not too dissimilar to plusnet's customer/tech  support

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:10:01 AM »

Yes and no.  Tap3 is run on the BTw network and should be conclusive, but if you are unlucky enough then it is still possible even when doing a TAP 3 to go via different MSILs.   The BTw speedtesters are based in a couple of locations irrc one of them is Manchester... and usually the one used for TAP3 (or at least used to be).
So if you are down south and doing a TAP3 to from say Devon to Manchester, then you are going to go via a totally different AP/MSIL than when connecting to Plusnet in London.

We dont expect the AP & MSILs to be congested at the nodes, but unfortunately some of them are atm as proved by AAISP :(
This is why the problems is so annoying because we cant seem to pinpoint it. 

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »

PS noticed this
I'm sure that you ment a good endpoint on Gateway PTN-BNG01  As i was on that same gateway and had hrs of 100ms pings and below full wack throughput ,

I meant I'd been hoping on other pipes for 11 days and it was bad until I got on ptn-bng01.  I'll expand on that.   

- I'd had no problems for about 3 months, but work at the exchange/dslam dropped my sync.
- The next evening I experienced the slow speeds at peak again.   I tried pipe hopping but got bored so left it.
- I left it like that for about 11 days because I hadnt really got time to mess and go gateway hopping, but for those 11 days I saw peak time slowness.
- After 11 days, I decided I'd try another hop.   I landed here, and here I stay because all is good again.

bit late to do one now as peak is over, but I did  a trace and speed test earlier when I got home and everything was perfectly fine and I was getting 74Mbps solid.
So we were both on the same gateway, yet getting very different results. :(

Code: [Select]
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  lo0.12.central12.ptn-bng01.plus.net [195.166.128.230]
  3    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  irb.12.ptw-cr02.plus.net [84.93.249.34]
  4    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  ae2.ptw-cr01.plus.net [195.166.129.4]
  5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  kingston-gw.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.6]

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:25:14 AM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:40 AM »

tommy, just a question.. do you ever get full whack at peak?

I know me and chrys say we see problems, but we do eventually manage to get on a decent gateway.  I cant recall seeing you having had a good peak time speed.

My gut feeling says its most likely to be something to do with the PN set-up but I dont know what..   its difficult to prove because there are also some other possible places where it could be.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:54:46 AM by kitz »
-----

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 01:42:38 AM »

well you learn something every day , i'll remember that,thanks  (hopefully ) does this work in win xp sp3? next time i need to use ms paint

works in all windows versions since 98 (maybe even earlier)

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 01:46:35 AM »

tommy, just a question.. do you ever get full whack at peak?
I have had yes but it has never lasted more than 1 month, today as in from 3:30-4:00pm i had nearly full whack throughput even though the latency was through the roof for a short period of time,

I know me and chrys say we see problems, but we do eventually manage to get on a decent gateway.  I cant recall seeing you having had a good peak time speed.
Yes again in the past i have successfully hopped onto a good endpoint after gateway hopping, but sometimes more often than not it has remained good for a short time ,days or a couple of weeks, due to plusnet sometimes changing routing ect around, even dropping me from a good enpoint onto a crap one
My gut feeling says its most likely to be something to do with the PN set-up but I dont know what..   its difficult to prove because there are also some other possible places where it could be.

http://i.imgur.com/p11WOsJ.png
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:17:06 AM by kitz »
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything