Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lost Packets  (Read 4833 times)

rongtw

Lost Packets
« on: April 11, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »

Hi i am new to the forum here but i need to as a question , i have seen Kitz on the Plusnet forums  ;) so i thought i would ask here as i dont seam to get anywhere at the moment .
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138193.32.html  my thread on PN forums because  i may miss something when am typing here .
a bit of history i have the PN FTTC 80/20 and have excellent speeds and pings , BUT i am a Gamer i play BF4 online just lately it has been getting worse the game plays slow and really bad  rubberbanding in BF4 the have a signal in game to let you know how you connection is but i get warnings of lost packets but my ping never rises .
anyhow on a friends server he raised a ticket on my behalf to see if it was them , but the answer they came back with was , "test results show a 60% packet loss before reaching our network"
i was testing with WinMTR and pingplotter pro , which shows my packet loss to some sites as high as 80% loss .
i raised a ticket with them , they arrange a BT engineer to visit , his test shows no problems and he changed my BT modem .
But i am still getting packet loss of 60% to some servers , would this show a problem with PN networks ? or is there some other explanation
Please Help
Cheers

rongtw

Re: Lost Packets
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »

No one any Ideas  :no:

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:38 PM »

Hi

It would help if you could post a pathping result, which should identify where the packet loss is

Many thanks

John

rongtw

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »

this is one i done to a Multiplay server hope this helps

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »

Do you get packet loss if you ping your router? That last post suggest you do.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »

No one any Ideas  :no:

Oh, I'm sorry to see that you originally posted two days ago and no one had responded, not even to just welcome you to the forum.  :(

I guess we have all been pre-occupied with other things.  :-[

jelv has made an interesting observation. In the image that you have posted, there appeared to be a 41% packet loss between your system and the modem/router.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:25:26 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »

Just glanced at your other thread. That is a crazy amount of packet loss which, at a glance, appeared from hop 2?

What is your general setup?

As mentioned above, you should have absolutely no packetloss from your router and almost zero jitter/deviation either.

rongtw

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »

my set up is desktop PC home build , good spec running win7 64 . motherboard is a ASUS with RealtekŪ 8111E , 1 x Gigabit LAN ,,  Netgear WNR1000v3 router + BT fibre modem.
when i ping myself i get zero loss  .
all drivers are up to date , have replaced all cables from PC to router , modem , and wall .
BT replaced their box 11th April all their test were clear
But i do get some test clear   

rongtw

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:44 PM »

just for clarity my ping same software

rongtw

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »

sorry but just had to check today , first 5 mins to TBB all clear , then test to BBC and in 1 min horrendous loss  :no: and the test one after the other

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »

Your PC -> ethernet cable -> that Plus.net router thing -> BTOR modem -> wall socket

That's your setup, right? Preferably using one of those fancy twisted RJ11 cables and with nothing wireless in sight and definitely not next to a 50" plasma TV or your DVD player or anything else?

If we ignore your one (presumably anomalous?) result where you had 40% packetloss to your own router (?!), you appear to have the worst connection I have ever seen! Is your in game ping similarly bad? Do you play any games which report the actual ping and not use one of those stupid meters? Quakelive reports the ping and draws you a 'netgraph' so you have something to blame immediately when you get fragged!

Are you familiar with gateway hopping? You may want to try it. I would be raising this with PN and throwing all my toys out of the pram in the process tbh. You might well be going through one of these choked MSILs in Manchester/Birmingham/Sheffield though? Either way, ask PN for exact clarification on where your issue lies. I'm sure they will be very helpful but you might want to see the full, intrusive, service test result for your own info.

There is absolutely no excuse for gamers to be suffering in times of congestion. We are almost certainly the ISP ideal-customer in terms of bandwidth and that's kinda the only thing that they pay extra for, surely? That said, who knows at what point in the network they start classifying; after exiting the BT MEGA CORE WHERE CONGESTION NEVER OCCURS AND LATENCY DOESN'T DOUBLE OR TRIPLE FOR THE LOLS.

Signup to this forum requires you to install DSLstats or similar at your earliest opportunity and upload to MDWS! :)

rongtw

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »

Yes BOOST i gateway Hop regular to find a good one , pings are up and down bad game i swap gateway to find a decent one .
have raised fault thats why BT swapped modem, .
I have a wireless TV 16 ft away , BF 4 has a test but not reliable also shows when packet loss then game rubberbands like hell .

they said no congestion as no one else is complains , but for normal browsing it not too bad only for games ! 

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »

they said no congestion as no one else is complains

so they're blind then, dozens of people have been complaining for months.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 12:37:16 AM »

Yes. They are blind and deaf as it suits. Not just the congestion problems.
Any questions that are too hard seem to be difficult to see, all of a sudden.
Maybe instead of lots of separate complaints a more concerted and joined-up approach is needed.
There is an element of divide and rule going on. (It may be 'confound' and rule with recent events)
There are enough people who can demonstrate the problems & show they are real, just its lots of separate voices.
Each is being fed a slightly different story or parts of the story by Plusnet.
Consolidate the voices/problems and show how big it really is.

Just my thoughts, as I see it.
You can start shooting it down ........... Now!!!!

Send from LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

rongtw

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »

At the moment they cant understand why some test fine and some are terrible  :-X
have to try a different Router  :fingers:
Pages: [1] 2

anything